New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Our outstanding trip to Maine! ( pics )  (Read 1895 times)

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Our outstanding trip to Maine! ( pics )
« on: Mar 16, 2014, 04:40 PM »
My fiancé and I went out to York beach for vacation, and since our ice season would be closed when we got back home, we knew we wanted to fish one day during our stay in Maine. I ended up chatting back and forth with MG39 a while back and he pointed me in the right direction. Once we were much closer to the week we would be headed out, we decided we would meet up and fish together.
Friday morning we met up with MG and his friend CTripp, and headed north to an undisclosed body of water after pike, yellow perch, and crappie. When we arrived and headed out on the ice it was a little brisk, but quickly turned out to be a beautiful day and one that will be a life long memory.
They immediately started drilling holes so Liz and I started getting traps set. Not long after the 8th tip up was in we had double flags. I missed mine on the hook set but that wasn't the case for Liz ( keep in mind she always out fishes me ). After close to ten minutes she brought in the biggest fish of the day right off the bat!

After releasing her fish she went over to jig with MG39 and as he was showing her how to use the vex a northern came in and slammed her jig! So, she was in for the long ride on light tackle. She ended up with another respectable fish and I knew I had to step up my game if I would be able to catch up with her!

After that it was just flag after flag and I had never seen anything like it. We had another set of doubles and even one set of triples which we iced all three fish!
Towards the end of the day after things slowed down a little bit, one of my traps which was set in a little deeper water than the rest, went off. I had high hopes that I too had found a bigger fish and I was right. After setting the hook I knew it was my biggest fish of the day and once we got it turned up in the hole this is what I ended up with:

Liz still had me by a couple pounds, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Overall we had 20 fish on and iced 17 of them. Unbelievable! They were able to find some perch as well, but I jigged for pike.
Yesterday was the best day of fishing Liz or I have ever had on ice. We made new friends and couldn't have asked for better help. It's memories like this that make all the hard work figuring things out all worth while! Thanks again to MG39 and CTripp and maybe sometime they will get out to Oneida lake for walleye fishing, which they don't have available to them, and I can return the favor  ;D.
Also, a couple days prior to this memorable day, my fishing partner and I got engaged! It was just an incredible week and it will be hard to top it!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
Re: Our outstanding trip to Maine! ( pics )
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2014, 05:49 PM »
Congrats on a great week
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Congrats on a great day on the ice.....nothing better than a day full of chasing flags !  :tipup:
Budweiser pro staff

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2014, 07:31 PM »
Thank you
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline JAGER61

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2014, 09:10 PM »
Awesome fish and great pics! Congrats on your success!

MK

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 17, 2014, 12:46 AM »
really nice fish nice pic good job

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Congrats! Sounds like a great trip!

Offline Dug1898

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:24 AM »
 Looks like you caught a real keeper there Fishin...I just love red haired girls who fish. Nice job Liz! ;D

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Looks like you caught a real keeper there Fishin...I just love red haired girls who fish. Nice job Liz! ;D
That I did! And as previously stated, she always out fishes me, so I have to keep her around for tournaments! ;)
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2014, 11:29 AM »

great pics and fish and my redhead also out fishes me to  ;D

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2014, 12:26 PM »
Congrats! Sounds like a great trip!
great photo's and FISH,I have not ice fished maine :( :( :(
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2014, 12:51 PM »
great photo's and FISH,I have not ice fished maine :( :( :(
RAT
Their seasons are much longer than ours. They will have ice longer than us. We measured 30" where we fished. They have some excellent fishing, as we do, just a bit more remote :)
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2014, 12:52 PM »
We fed the eagles dink perch throughout the day. They came down 50 yards from us. It was awesome
I am Muskies Inc.

Offline perchtrapper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2014, 01:26 PM »
Great trip congrats, I love Maine it is a great place to be, gonna move there some day.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #14 on: Mar 19, 2014, 05:24 PM »
My fiancé and I went out to York beach for vacation, and since our ice season would be closed when we got back home, we knew we wanted to fish one day during our stay in Maine. I ended up chatting back and forth with MG39 a while back and he pointed me in the right direction. Once we were much closer to the week we would be headed out, we decided we would meet up and fish together.
Friday morning we met up with MG and his friend CTripp, and headed north to an undisclosed body of water after pike, yellow perch, and crappie. When we arrived and headed out on the ice it was a little brisk, but quickly turned out to be a beautiful day and one that will be a life long memory.
They immediately started drilling holes so Liz and I started getting traps set. Not long after the 8th tip up was in we had double flags. I missed mine on the hook set but that wasn't the case for Liz ( keep in mind she always out fishes me ). After close to ten minutes she brought in the biggest fish of the day right off the bat!
(Image removed from quote.)
After releasing her fish she went over to jig with MG39 and as he was showing her how to use the vex a northern came in and slammed her jig! So, she was in for the long ride on light tackle. She ended up with another respectable fish and I knew I had to step up my game if I would be able to catch up with her!
After that it was just flag after flag and I had never seen anything like it. We had another set of doubles and even one set of triples which we iced all three fish!
Towards the end of the day after things slowed down a little bit, one of my traps which was set in a little deeper water than the rest, went off. I had high hopes that I too had found a bigger fish and I was right. After setting the hook I knew it was my biggest fish of the day and once we got it turned up in the hole this is what I ended up with:
Liz still had me by a couple pounds, but I wouldn't want it any other way. Overall we had 20 fish on and iced 17 of them. Unbelievable! They were able to find some perch as well, but I jigged for pike.
Yesterday was the best day of fishing Liz or I have ever had on ice. We made new friends and couldn't have asked for better help. It's memories like this that make all the hard work figuring things out all worth while! Thanks again to MG39 and CTripp and maybe sometime they will get out to Oneida lake for walleye fishing, which they don't have available to them, and I can return the favor  ;D.
Also, a couple days prior to this memorable day, my fishing partner and I got engaged! It was just an incredible week and it will be hard to top it!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Congrats!  Looks like it was a great trip.  I love Maine.
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2014, 05:02 AM »
Nice photo's.  Awesome looking pike.

Offline HybridHunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 22, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Nice photo's.  Awesome looking pike.
They were the healthiest pike I have personally seen. They definitely had easy access to a consistent meal.
I am Muskies Inc.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.