Mobile Site Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Ice Fishing Shanty
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | Militia | Sponsors
Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | KitteryTradingPost | Cabelas
Oct 01, 2014, 06:18 PM
Team Iceshanty Mock T's
Full chest logo/iceshanty.com printed down the sleeve.
Iceshanty Proshop

Miss activation email? Check your spam folder! | Forgot password?
The Iceshanty.com Ice Shanty Tips Board is sponsored by

WholesaleOutdoors

Author Topic: Pop Up Ice Shelters  (Read 2046 times)

laxfish

• IceShanty Rookie

Pop Up Ice Shelters
« on: Oct 31, 2011, 06:46 AM »
Which one is best built to last?  I bought a Cabela's 6'X6' last year and the round metal bracket broke on the top center of the shack.  It was 3/16" white metal.  No replacement parts were offered.  Cabela's took the shack back with no questions asked.  I would like to avoid another broken shack.  Any input on other brands?

dylan8351

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Its got some weight to it!
Re: Pop Up Ice Shelters
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Cabelas warranty is the only thing that I've like lately from them. Everything I've gotten has gone way down hill in quality. I bought a eskimo quickfish 3 last year at costco. For the price it has been well worth the money.
I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money. You can keep "The Change"

BigDynamite

• Team IceShanty Regular

• There's one!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:39 PM »
I'm willing to best there are some other good ones out there but I have an Eskimo Quickfish 3 and really like it.  Plan on adding the new doublewide Fatfish next year (if good reviews) as I get ready to add my two youngest boys to the hardwater crew.

Tight Lines and Hard Water

adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • IceShantyholic

• Don't ever touch my rockbass!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:50 PM »
I love my shappell ice house 6000. No complaints yet.

Rockbass...the only fish!
Charter Member of NYRC and MIRC
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994

MRFISH

• IceShanty Rookie

• Hurry Up ICE!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:56 PM »
I have a clam dave genz voyager 3 man and really like it. Lots of space, seems to be well built.

Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #5 on: Oct 31, 2011, 05:58 PM »
I would suggest staying away from the clam expeditions... They do not fair well in the biter cold and the seems have ripped on the snow skirt. I had the hub shatter while I was out last year in single digit temps. I got ahold of clam corp and they replaced the hub and gave me a spare hub. This incident has left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Muckletonian Society
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2011, 03:23 AM »
I own an Eskimo Quickfish 3 and would recommend it. I did quite a bit of comparison shopping and the "Black Ice" brand of pop-ups sell for less, have all the features of all the major brands and does them one better - the material is 600 denier as opposed to 300 denier. My major concern w/ them would be customer service.       

The Busdriver

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2011, 09:22 PM »
Eskimo Quickfish 3, you won't be sorry.  Mine has held up great, this will be my third season with it.

Rairdog

• Team IceShanty Addict

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2011, 10:00 PM »
I was lucky and got a black ice on close out from glens for 107 delivered.  It has better material 600d than my buddies eskimo 300d.  I have yet to have it on ice but it seems sturdier.  Though the sewing is better on the eskimo.  The main thing to realize with pop ups is set up and take down.  They try to make it look easy and fast which it is.  After 5 years of using a deer blind with older heavier parts I know the limitations.  The ice pop ups are bigger and use longer fiberglass poles and cheaper hubs.  Mix that with cold temps and the parts become a lot more fragile.  Pull the hubs out slow and let it breath.  Try and force them in cold temps and the will fail.  Same as putting it down.  Replacing and repairing parts is fairly easy, so I went with the heavier fabric.  It's a chinese market and most of them are buying from the same manufacturer over there and putting their name on it.  That's what the maket demands and you either pay big or go cheap and fix it yourself.

Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac

• Muckletonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2011, 02:07 AM »
Let us know what happens after you use the Black Ice a bit.  Would be interesting to hear more about this brand.                     

Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2011, 02:53 AM »
+1 on Shappell.  Built very well and they have a pieces/parts list on their website.  Very satisfied with the quality of mine.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Iceshanty.com sponsored in part by:
Marmish | FishUSA | Marcum | Fish307 | Jiffy | Muck Boots | Frabill | FleetFarm | Lindy | Glens | Cabelas
Home | ThinIce | Chat | Pictures | Archives | ProShop | GearShop | Militia | Sponsors

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Contact | Sponsor IceShanty.com | Disclaimer
©1996- IceShanty.com
All Rights Reserved