The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: goose pond report  (Read 1341 times)

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
goose pond report
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:30 PM »
hit goose pond in Lee for the first time today. on the ice at 7:45 and left at 3:00pm.
wanted to hit the deeper water at the other endof the lake but never made it that far. the older i get the suckier it gets to drag all the gear around. boy my legs were burning today.
anyway setup in an area first where the water was appprox 8'.
setout 8 tipups and we jigged also. nothing on tipups at our first setup. did jig up some pearch and a monster bluegill. we stuck it out in that area for two hours without a single flag. time to move!!!
dragged all the gear farther down the lake and we found approx 15'. setup 5 tipups instead of 8 as three had frozen parts. damn!!!! anyway wasnt long before the flags started popping. pearch after pearch. did have on something that wasnt a pearch but it snapped me off before i could see it.
by the feel of it it might have been one of the 100 salmon that were realeased yesterday.
on the way out a guy told us that info.he got two yesterday but none today. he was down in the shallows by the launch. couldnt bee that deep there. we were suprised he was getting salmon there untill he told us thats where they put the salmon in.
it wasnt a total slow day but it wasnt what i had hoped for. long drive for some sub pair pearch.
ohwell thats ice fishing right!!!
im still waiting for a powered jet-sled. we had minimal gear today yet the jet-sled felt like it was full of rocks. there just has to be a better, easier way to ice fish!!!!
all in all porbabaly got 2dz pearch, the one monster bluegill and the fish that got away.
not bad but not great.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
Re: goose pond report
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:05 PM »
Whats with all the perch out there????   I had 1 out of my 5 tilts on Quinsig Saturday, that caught probably 12.
I made it a game though,  To see how good my set was and not loose the shiner! I did pretty good, Lost probably 2 or 3!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 05:52 AM »
i wouldnt mind all the pearch if they were all jumbos. it seems to me alot of lakes are overloaded with them and there size is lacking. how many people target pearch other then through the ice? not many.
i bass fish when im not ice fishing. just to many pearch in some of these waters. i got one big gill early and that was it for gills. seems the pearch out rule the gills there.
going to try a few other places out that way soon.

Offline fisherman58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:06 AM »
hit goose pond in Lee for the first time today. on the ice at 7:45 and left at 3:00pm.
wanted to hit the deeper water at the other endof the lake but never made it that far. the older i get the suckier it gets to drag all the gear around. boy my legs were burning today.
anyway setup in an area first where the water was appprox 8'.
setout 8 tipups and we jigged also. nothing on tipups at our first setup. did jig up some pearch and a monster bluegill. we stuck it out in that area for two hours without a single flag. time to move!!!
dragged all the gear farther down the lake and we found approx 15'. setup 5 tipups instead of 8 as three had frozen parts. d**n!!!! anyway wasnt long before the flags started popping. pearch after pearch. did have on something that wasnt a pearch but it snapped me off before i could see it.
by the feel of it it might have been one of the 100 salmon that were realeased yesterday.
on the way out a guy told us that info.he got two yesterday but none today. he was down in the shallows by the launch. couldnt bee that deep there. we were suprised he was getting salmon there untill he told us thats where they put the salmon in.
it wasnt a total slow day but it wasnt what i had hoped for. long drive for some sub pair pearch.
ohwell thats ice fishing right!!!
im still waiting for a powered jet-sled. we had minimal gear today yet the jet-sled felt like it was full of rocks. there just has to be a better, easier way to ice fish!!!!
all in all porbabaly got 2dz pearch, the one monster bluegill and the fish that got away.
not bad but not great.

[/quote

get a quad then you can pull every thing including the kicthen sink

Offline MUNICH

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Soldier
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:10 AM »
I also spent a day there with only one pickerel after a 2 hr. drive. Did the state go pick up the Salmon from Vermont? They must have because they onlky had 72 fish before.
J. Cotier

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:11 AM »
I want to hit Goose at some point mainly for the Perch.
cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:00 PM »
canthookit............ .........if you dont mind undersized pearch then goose is the place for you.
no shortadge of them there. all you need is your jigging road. inless you dont mind waisting shiners on pearch.
i had 4" pearch swallowing or should i say choking on shiners yesterday.

fisherman58........... .....if only money grew on trees!!!!!!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:23 PM »
canthookit.....................if you dont mind undersized pearch then goose is the place for you.
no shortadge of them there. all you need is your jigging road. inless you dont mind waisting shiners on pearch.
i had 4" pearch swallowing or should i say choking on shiners yesterday.

fisherman58........... .....if only money grew on trees!!!!!!

Better yet, if only SHINERS grew on trees!   ;D

2 bucks a peice for pike shiners at barry's!  ouch.... only got 2 ... 1 still in my tank!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:16 PM »
trapping your own pike bait is the way to go.
alot of guys here in CT do just that. small suckers seem to be the key target bait around here.
pike candy!!!!!!!!

i could have put all the bait away yesterday and jigged the pearch.............i was hoping that whatever snapped me off would come back or tell one of his friends. never happened.
the bluefish......ooops i mean pearch were to thick.

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:24 PM »
ya. I am really seriously thinking about trapping if in fact, my old timer Montagues bait shop closes up. He is the primary reason why I have not trapped.... help keep him going....

Flaggs!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.