Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New to southeast Iowa and Iceshanty.com  (Read 804 times)

Offline wirehair hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
New to southeast Iowa and Iceshanty.com
« on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:09 PM »
I recently moved to SE IA, Henry County, and am wondering where the best ice fishing spots are around here?  Any suggestions?  Never fished this part of the Mississippi ( have fished up north near Lansing frequently), anyother good fishing rivers, or lakes, or ponds. Anyone interested in new fishing buddy...I have all my own equipment - tent, vexilar, ect..... Thanks for any advice

Offline gregv17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: New to southeast Iowa and Iceshanty.com
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2009, 10:19 AM »
Hello,
         I used to live in Donnellson, just kind of southwest of you. Thought I would throw in my 2 cents worth since I used to fish all over the area.  The main lakes in the area that I fished were -
Geode – Henry county in Geode State park

Shimek Forest Ponds – Lee county between Donnellson and Farmington

Lacey Keosauqua Lake – Just south of the town of Keosauqua

Sugema – Just past the turn off to Keosauqua on hwy 2 for the south of the lake or go through Keosauqua to hwy 40 for the north of the lake.

Tug Fork ponds/lakes – East of Keosauqua, same way as to get to the north of Sugema.

There was also another small lake the I think was called Wilson Lake between Donnellson and Fort Madison. Kind of back off from the highway on the dirt road that goes to an old Railroad museum/collection.

All these lakes have good fishing for bluegill, bass, crappie, and catfish. The smaller ones will generally have the better ice.

If you can hook up with some of the farmers around that have ponds. There are usually good bluegill, crappie and bass in those farm ponds.
Some of them are real decent about letting you fish. My neighbor had a 15 acre lake on his place and let me fish there all the time.

I never really ice fished the Mississippi backwaters as the ice can be hit or miss there in SE Iowa. I did most of my river fishing from a boat. If you can get access to some of the oxbows and sloughs, I think you would find enough fish to keep you interested.

Anyway, just happened to click on Iowa stuff here in IS and saw your post for SE IA and thought I would chip in. Live in NW Montana now. Doing more shoveling of snow that ice fishing this year. Hope this gives you a little direction where to start.

Good fishing to you.  Greg

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: New to southeast Iowa and Iceshanty.com
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Im about 5 counties north of you. I dont know much about southeast except that its prime farm pond fishing. I know some backwaters and places to fish along the Miss up here but nothing down by you. Sorry
EYECONICFISHING

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.