The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Going to CF  (Read 4145 times)

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
Going to CF
« on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:04 PM »
well I'm heading to cf tomarrow in search of the elusive perch,  Ill be heading down by the silos but i would like to go north to the hole in the wall I was wondering if there are directions to drive over there, without driving my truck on the ice. NONYA when you are hammering them are you directly out from the silos  we will be there at around 7:00am met us out there we'll have a beer and talk about the slow fishing

Offline Blacksandybum

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Going to CF
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:15 PM »
How abount giving an ice report when you get back tomorrow for the rest if us who can't get out until Sat.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2009, 08:15 PM »
I wont be back out till Sun,head down the shore till you see the pressure ridge,head out about 300 yards,so far this year one spot has been just as good as the rest,they are moving all over,tues was quite a bit slower than my last two trips,the nice weather has slowed the bite I guess,talked to 2 other guys that have been out this week and got the same report.

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:19 PM »
well I just got back from CF  It was a long walk but well worth it.  we caught 7 perch in about an hour and a half and then the fishing just died.  The ice was a good 16 inches thick with anywere form 1-4 inches of water on top but trucks were still driving on it.  We were about 1000 feet away form the pressure ridge in 36 feet of water If I new how to upload pics i would post them

Offline Blacksandybum

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Thanks for the ice report.  Good to know it is holding out before making the drive over on the weekend.

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15, 2009, 01:49 PM »
Heading to CF tonight trying for perch and EYES will be up there for the rest of the weekend. Give ya all a report when I get back been doing farly well with the perch with some EYES mixed in also. hope to have a good report at weekends end. :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Rooney

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Hey, post back as soon as you can.  I heard that you couldn't get on the ice down there anymore, shore ice is all but gone. Heard the perch derby will probably be cancelled too. let me know how its going down there.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2009, 08:24 PM »
Just got back from cf what a beautiful day. the fishing was slow 6 perch and 2 trout but one was a monster 
12 1/2 inches, the perch not the trout my personal best, it made my hole day (don't worry about any ice condition rumors its FINE!!)  there was probably close to one million people out it was kind of cool

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Got back from CF Filled 2 five gallon buckets full of perch in three days. It was great fishing most of them were 10 inchers and up the biggest being a 12-1/2".Lost a couple walleyes but still got ended up with two. also ended up with one ling 19" long. Had a great weekend. see ya at the derby.
Rooney

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Thought you needed info on ling????That many buckets FULL??Do you know what the possesion limit is?

Offline Bowhunter4Life

• IceShanty Rookie
  • It's always somethin'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:27 PM »
Had 4 other guys with me we were still under the limit for perch for a three day total. :tipup: :tipup:
Rooney

Offline SummerSucks

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:48 PM »

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2009, 09:45 PM »
Nice 1!! ;D

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2009, 03:26 AM »
That is a nice perch.  I'm jacked up about fishing CF this coming weekend, both days.   
wish you many hook-ups

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:14 AM »
does anyone know what the story is with northerns on this lake? Moved out here from Michigan and love fishing for em, its hard to get to peck or frances for just a short weekend. Also curious about ling, thats a whole new thing to me. ??? ???

TIGHT LINES

iceandwiskey

« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Nice fish Buddy!! but what is with that guy standing behind you, does he leave those sunglasses on his hat to cover up that ugly Dolfin? ;D Well it Sounds like you guys had a great time, I wish I could have been there.  We ended up with a grand total of three yesterday on Daily!!!  We were the first on the ice and left at dark,  Very slow!  So how about making some plans for next Sun?  gtown ??? 

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:06 PM »
does anyone know what the story is with northerns on this lake? Moved out here from Michigan and love fishing for em, its hard to get to peck or frances for just a short weekend. Also curious about ling, thats a whole new thing to me. ??? ???
I'm unaware of any Pike in Canyon Ferry...  If they are there, its news to me!  There are Walleyed Pike but no Northerns...

Offline MT Don

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:19 PM »
Is the ice holding up with this heat.................. or is it deteriorating?

Thanks, Don

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:21 PM »

Thought I heard something last year about a guy catching a northern on a tiny perch pole, picture made the Billings gazzet and everything. heard there were a few in there "un-officially" 

and DON, the ice on CF?  errr... terrible, almost gone,, just kidding.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline fishonice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2009, 12:54 PM »
yeah i heard of a couple here and there this summer but thats was all. mostly just hoping. even though most don;t appreciate them out here

TIGHT LINES

Offline pickledpike

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:13 PM »
I have seen one northern caught on Canyon Ferry and two more caught around Toston dam.  Not sure if targeting them would produce anything but I have been wanting to try.  Anyone I have ever talked to said they target them by Toston dam in the river.  In my opinion, I have never found pike to enjoy current very much, so I would have to believe they are in lake in better numbers. 

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2009, 02:24 PM »
I have seen one northern caught on Canyon Ferry and two more caught around Toston dam.  Not sure if targeting them would produce anything but I have been wanting to try.  Anyone I have ever talked to said they target them by Toston dam in the river.  In my opinion, I have never found pike to enjoy current very much, so I would have to believe they are in lake in better numbers. 

As long as the river is cold they don't mind current, we have them over here in the Stillwater, the Whitefish, and in the Flathead Rivers and they get BIG in the Flathead river....

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2009, 06:39 PM »
There was a 10+ caught on CF last winter,there are plenty of them,they caught a 50+ inch fish in their test nets not too long ago.Nobody targets them so they will go unknown for years just like the walleye did.

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2009, 10:16 AM »

The pike in the system seem to be in the Missouri below toston dam. I Caught 8-10 of them this summer with the biggest being 31 inches. Your also correct they don't like the current so if you are targeting them (like I was this summer) try to find back currents and sloughs,  or huge rocks creating a major slowing point. You can find them on the townsend side of the lake also. I just dont want them in the river so they all go home with me

Offline kwil226

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2009, 07:40 PM »

Not the biggest one but around 26-27 i think

Offline wallinuts

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Love those big winter females
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:29 PM »
I think you will see more and more pike in and around canyon ferry for years to come.  They have been there forever, but the spawning habitat was terrible for them so they never really took hold, but then came the christmas trees for perch spawning habitat, and um I think the pike like them also.  Every year we are hearing of more and more of them so there will be a good size population of them in the future.

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #26 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:30 AM »
I'm heading to CF for the derby Fri night.  I'll park somewhere by the boat ramp.  Watch for a  grey 2008 Gmc crew cab hooked up to a 5th wheeler trailer and  probably a 4 wheeler trailer.  Stop by and say high.  It will be a good place to meet Sat after the fishing stops.  Have a fire maybe and a few adult beverages.  If ther is more than one trailer I'll put some hunter orange on it somewhere plainly visable.  See ya there. Ding

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:51 AM »
Ding,  Quantoson will be there at the RV park Tent Camping, so we'll be looking for you.  I'm going over Thursday evening and Fishing on Friday also....

Offline icechick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2009, 12:10 PM »
I think that we are planning on fishing at least on Saturday but we will not be out there until that morning.

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Man this is killing me. No fishing for me this weekend. My son in law has his only snowcross race in Seeley lake for the year. So me and my son have to take a weekend off from fishing. Oh well. Sounds like fun. maybe next year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.