The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Poll

What pond should we hold pikefest '09 on ?

Sabbattus Pond
North Pond
Great Pond
Long Pond
Messalonskee Lake

Author Topic: Pikefest '09  (Read 14129 times)

Offline Flatlander2Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I got my game face on now! Come'er Fish
Re: Pikefest '09
« Reply #60 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:04 PM »
I'm in.......

Here fishy fishy fishy

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #61 on: Jan 07, 2009, 04:37 PM »
So when should we start planning for Pikefest '09 ???.....I want to catch the MIGHTY PIKE!! :flex:
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Are we talking Pike fest or MONSTER PIKE FEST! According to Maine DIFW the earliest recorded presence of Northern Pike in Maine waters was in Great Pond, they have been in Great Pond for over 25 years I believe. There is a local legand in the Belgrade Lakes region, his last name is Radcliffe, he targets huge Pike and I think he still holds the Maine State Record of a Pike caught thru the ice. His quarry is Pike over 18lbs and 40"plus, I believe his record is over 20lbs. He has a unique way of drilling holes so he can make sure he is able to pull a 20lb. Pike thru the ice. You know my vote is for the pike fest to be on Great Pond because I live on it as of 8/01/08. You can catch Pike here throughout the hardwater season, but action really begins to heat up after mid February and throughout the month of March as fish begin to move into more shallow water. I will pm you about earlier practice runs. By the way, I don,t do catch and release with Pike, it's keep and kill only, these fish are an invasive predator that absolutely desimated my favorite central maine salmon fishery which was Long Pond in Belgrade, numerous 6-8lb landlocked salmon out of Long Pond are now a distant memory because of the Northern Pike's illegal introduction. :( :( :(

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 07, 2009, 06:19 PM »
Any OLD pike fishing spots you don't mind sharing on Great Pond. Kind of like your salmon fishing, my pike fishing is being over run by increased fishing pressure. Great pond seems to be the place to be, it's just too big of  a lake.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Grayfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:43 PM »
I vote for Sabattus. I keep my shack there.

Offline scuba04070

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 08, 2009, 05:22 AM »
ive never targeted pike, would love to!!  what tackle and bait to use also how deep do they run and do they hit on jigging? ;)

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:29 AM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Are we talking Pike fest or MONSTER PIKE FEST! According to Maine DIFW the earliest recorded presence of Northern Pike in Maine waters was in Great Pond, they have been in Great Pond for over 25 years I believe. There is a local legand in the Belgrade Lakes region, his last name is Radcliffe, he targets huge Pike and I think he still holds the Maine State Record of a Pike caught thru the ice. His quarry is Pike over 18lbs and 40"plus, I believe his record is over 20lbs. He has a unique way of drilling holes so he can make sure he is able to pull a 20lb. Pike thru the ice. You know my vote is for the pike fest to be on Great Pond because I live on it as of 8/01/08. You can catch Pike here throughout the hardwater season, but action really begins to heat up after mid February and throughout the month of March as fish begin to move into more shallow water. I will pm you about earlier practice runs. By the way, I don,t do catch and release with Pike, it's keep and kill only, these fish are an invasive predator that absolutely desimated my favorite central maine salmon fishery which was Long Pond in Belgrade, numerous 6-8lb landlocked salmon out of Long Pond are now a distant memory because of the Northern Pike's illegal introduction. :( :( :(

the man you speak of caught A state record pike back in '96 i believe. it was 28 pounds and some change. that record has since been broken by a 31LBS...2 ounce??? by lance buldoc caught on north pond in smithfield/mercer in '98.
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:14 AM »
the man you speak of caught A state record pike back in '96 i believe. it was 28 pounds and some change. that record has since been broken by a 31LBS...2 ounce??? by lance buldoc caught on north pond in smithfield/mercer in '98.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Thanks for the clarification, knew Radcliffe's was well over 20lbs, didn't want to overstate, but had forgotten about Bolduc breaking the 30lb barrior. Pike migrated long ago into Messalonskee Lake, North Pond and Long Pond as they are all interconnected. Heard a rumor that DIFW trap netted a Pike at the outlet from Great Pond into Long Pond in the fall of 06 or 07 that was over 50lbs!  :o :o Yikes!

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #67 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:18 AM »
HEard taht rumor to.  Wouldnt doubt it though.  Messalonskee is a good lake for them to get big and big and bigger

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Jan 08, 2009, 10:25 AM »
i hear that rumor every year. i grew up fishing all over the belgrades chain. i wouldn't be suprised if there was one or more in the 50 pound range.

Offline natureboy79

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:33 AM »
you guys gonna allow outta staters to pikefest?I have a camp on sabbattus and would definitely fish it with you guys if you do it there.The maine crew seems like a bunch of great people I'd like to meet and fish with!

My name is Andy and i'm a fishaholic....

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 08, 2009, 11:40 AM »
you guys gonna allow outta staters to pikefest?I have a camp on sabbattus and would definitely fish it with you guys if you do it there.The maine crew seems like a bunch of great people I'd like to meet and fish with!
Hey more the merrier...... :thumbsup:....and with a handle like yours.....God knows whats going to happen..... :roflmao:

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:27 PM »
so do we have a date yet?

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:31 PM »
so do we have a date yet?
I would like to have it sometime in March......

Offline sst4life

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Peace, Love and Happiness only on Shanty
« Reply #73 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:36 PM »
2nd aturday in march ?

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:37 PM »
sounds good to me, im on the fence right now about goin. i would like to....but sabbatus/lewiston area is a bit of a ride from where i am.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #75 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:44 PM »
sounds good to me, im on the fence right now about goin. i would like to....but sabbatus/lewiston area is a bit of a ride from where i am.
Oh come on now......you can do it......the gas price is right..... :thumbsup:

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Jan 08, 2009, 12:48 PM »
this is true, depends on the ol lady tho. whether she wants to make the trip or if she can find somethin else to do

Offline joeybutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Jan 08, 2009, 02:38 PM »
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Thanks for the clarification, knew Radcliffe's was well over 20lbs, didn't want to overstate, but had forgotten about Bolduc breaking the 30lb barrior. Pike migrated long ago into Messalonskee Lake, North Pond and Long Pond as they are all interconnected. Heard a rumor that DIFW trap netted a Pike at the outlet from Great Pond into Long Pond in the fall of 06 or 07 that was over 50lbs!  :o :o Yikes!
about 5 years ago i talked to a biologist and he said one day on long pond they netted 2 huge ones....one 55 inch and the other was 57 in. i asked how much they weighed and he says they carry 40lb scales and both of them burried it!!! :o

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:25 PM »
about 5 years ago i talked to a biologist and he said one day on long pond they netted 2 huge ones....one 55 inch and the other was 57 in. i asked how much they weighed and he says they carry 40lb scales and both of them burried it!!! :o
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Well then, I think it's pretty much established credibilty that the Northern Pike was first discovered in Great Pond Belgrade, Maine. I stated conservatively that this event first ocurred some 25 years ago, may I be so bold to say it's more like 30 years ago. Like it or not this leviathon is here to stay, the northern pike is a master of disaster when it comes down to a matter of consuming smaller fish for it's own survival it can swallow whole a 16"salmon and/or brook trout.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 08, 2009, 03:28 PM »
i love to catch pike what a fight :clap:

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 08, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Me too!!  Thats mostly what I fish for.

Great eatin too!!

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Jan 08, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Me too!!  Thats mostly what I fish for.

Great eatin too!!

were do you go?

Offline wickedgoodatv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 08, 2009, 05:15 PM »
mostly over to turner, but I also enjoy the belgrades.

I have been to sabattus a few times too, but don't like the limited access for a walker.

My opinion is neither copyrighted nor trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #83 on: Jan 12, 2009, 12:41 PM »
 >:D

Offline bigdadde66

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:53 PM »
im in wherever and whenever

Offline livinbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Mar 13, 2009, 07:56 AM »
so do we have a head count for how meny people are comeing ???

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #86 on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:19 AM »
I can only wish   sigh.....
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline its_porkchop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Mar 13, 2009, 10:21 AM »
Im in! I'll leave my inflatable field goal and cleats at home though.  ;)

Offline pikeslammer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Mar 13, 2009, 10:39 AM »
i cannot wait im so ready
FLAG! haha just kidding

I went down to the sporting goods store and got a new rod and reel for my wife.....pretty good trade, don't ya think?

Ketchup and grease instead of catch and release

"Hey, ya gotta flag, oh, wait, it went back down."

Offline spinzer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Mar 13, 2009, 11:14 AM »
Has the date been determined for Pikefest yet?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.