The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: First Burbot Bash PICTURES ! January 10th. Flaming Gorge OK/LT  (Read 11580 times)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
January 10th. will be a "Burbot Bash" on the gorge. This will be put on by a private individual.  Starts around 2 PM and lasts until ????
Object:  catch as many ling as you can.
I will be getting more details soon as I can and forwarding the good news.
Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First Burbot Bash January 10th. Flaming Gorge
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:40 PM »
January 10th. will be a "Burbot Bash" on the gorge. This will be put on by a private individual.  Starts around 2 PM and lasts until ????
Object:  catch as many ling as you can.
I will be getting more details soon as I can and forwarding the good news.

Lost Dog on West side of gorge, Game and Fish will be offering information.   2 PM start until late late late.
Catching, cleaning, cooking information.  TV coverage there for a Ut. sports channel show.  FREE to public,
Come catch fish,   
LT, can I offer the dot com where the other info is located at?????
Dave
Thread killer

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: First Burbot Bash January 10th. Flaming Gorge
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2008, 07:44 PM »
Okay, here it is, thanks WYIfish and er-e-is, good luck all!  :tipup:
                                                            LT/Iceshanty Modster

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=450472;page=1

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: First Burbot Bash January 10th. Flaming Gorge OK/LT
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Thanks LT, you're my newest hero!
I spoke with the event organizer a bit ago, for legal reasons, this is not a contest or derby. "Clinic" fits the form for the recreation area and with the least liabilities and paperwork. This event is designed to promote the harvest of unwanted ling and to instruct on how to catch clean and eat 'em.
Other things like fun, and being on the ice are free an optional as well.
Lost Dog is on the west side of the gorge, and south of Green River. Turn left (to the east) at Lost Dog road.
It's down by the confluence.
Thread killer

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Aaaaaaw shucks bro...thanks, this site is for fun, my job is to make that easier. URL's that hook up to $$ for private profit with free advertising give the boss heartburn, so he likes them approved by...individual site Mods. Yeah, er-e-is (Joe) sent me the skinny on it, sounds like fun, wish my ouch wasn't keeping me recreationally immobile, I'd liked to have gone. Also sounds like a huge gathering of Utah and WG&F Wardens...thanks for posting it for us, looking fwd to some "slimie" pics.                                               LT :tipup: :laugh:
                                                                       Always the "Godfather" ...sometimes the Mod

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2008, 08:56 PM »
I guess since I have a couple of digital cameras and have posted pics that I should take pictures of the slimmers on parade for the forum.
They are expecting 75+ fishermen.
As a side note, there are places to stay overnight in Rock Springs and Green River as the boom is slower now with vacancies.

Oops, my 100th post!
Thread killer

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2008, 09:00 PM »
Congrats! LT  ;D

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2008, 12:45 AM »
sounds like fun fellas! i'll be there for sure!!!!!

Offline FeatherBender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:32 AM »
My buddy (maybe buddies?) and I are hoping to attend.  I'd like to verify directions to Lost Dog.  Moski, you're from the area...maybe you can help?  According to my distant memory (and with some help from Mapquest) we'll head SW out of GR on Uinta Dr/Hwy 530?  ___ miles to Lost Dog Rd?  ___ miles to Lost Dog?  Any recommendations for accomodations in GR?

Offline FeatherBender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2009, 12:52 AM »
P.S.  We've never caught these things before.  From what I gather on the organizers site that LT provided we'll need glow tube jigs or glow twister-tails (I think I read on his earlier post 1/8 to 1/4 oz.?) Tip them with sucker meat, bullheads, or crawfish?  Lube them with crawfish scented attractant?  I know there will be instruction at the "clinic" but we want to have the right gear...does this sound about right?  Any other sugg's? :unsure: 

(Didn't mean to exclude you from the earlier post, WYIfish...you're from the area too!  ;)

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2009, 03:56 AM »

I catch ling with a power bait and a nightcrawler.  It is not rocket science, do not attempt to make it so.
Fish rocky points and better yet, steep rocky cliff edges.
Sucker meat tipped white rubber jigs works well too. My trick is to fish the bottom, the bottom, the bottom and lift up to see if the bait suckers are sucking your bait. They are nibblers that will suck a crawler right off a #2 eagle claw bait hook and not even trip a tip up. They do this a lot.   Ling are scavengers, fish accordingly.

Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 04, 2009, 04:11 AM »

The Green River Chamber of Commerce and the Rock Springs Chamber of Commerce have a list of motels/hotels on their web sites which are quite google searchable. Rock Springs has more rooms, eats, etc. but is on the other side of the gorge for access but may be worth the extra miles for selection of accommodations. If weather is an issue, rooms fill up when I-80 gets harder to travel on.  Don't forget Little America has eats and rooms if you are coming in from the west. I do not know the prices.. Again, try the chambers. For tackle, there is an Orvis dealer in GR, and RS has a Walmart, Mr. Al's, Ace Hardware in both cities have a selection of baits. Sports Authority in RS has some items. There are no convieniece stores near Lost Dog.

One more just for fun.
Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2009, 04:13 AM »
I hate photobucket.
Thread killer

Offline FeatherBender

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:53 PM »
Thanks WYIfish...useful info.  We should be good to go.  I recently ordered a new pop-up shelter...hope it arrives in time for the bash.  Extended forecast for GR (per NOAA) is highs in the upper 20's...thats a lot better than the -27 in Freedom this morning!  BTW, what are the ice conditions...bare, snow?

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Ice just above Lost Dog at Sage Creek is clear to snowy to snowy with frozen  (former) slush 2" thick on top of the former glare, rough ice, small glare icey spots, all of the above. About 8-10 inches of great ice as of Saturday.
 Ice is not the issue, wind chills of -25 were the issue.
A few inches of snow fell on Friday night but it blew all around on Saturday. Ice at Lost Dog should be fine, issue again, will be winds and wind chill.  Low in RS on Saturday night was -8 so it has made some ice further down river. Breeze Hill still wide open waters Saturday evening.  Currant Creek MAY have some fishable ice after that.
Rooms and food can be had in Green River and Rock Springs (long way around). The Ace Hardware on Uinta Ave (about 1/2 mile so. of the Green River...and on your left, has some baits. I don't know if the store at Buckboard is open or not, any help Moski?
DF
Thread killer

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I have to go to Cheyenne on Friday to play East and Central otherwise I would for sure be there. Unless I guess we get snowed out lol. You gonna go to it John??
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2009, 02:29 PM »
Trent,

I will probably go check it out (if i can stop fishing long enough too) ::)

Offline BottomDweller

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Wyoming
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2009, 11:34 PM »
wery eentereztingg

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:25 AM »
Don't forget, if you guys are going to this , you have to pre-register on the BFT website to be eligible for any give away prizes.
Watch the pressure ridges down there they can be wicked. Good Luck

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2009, 12:24 PM »
Trent,

I will probably go check it out (if i can stop fishing long enough too) ::)

haha ok....planning on a trip to Fontnelle Sunday. Gotta try somethin' new. Text me or just message me back if you wanna go.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:22 PM »
My buddy (maybe buddies?) and I are hoping to attend.  I'd like to verify directions to Lost Dog.  Moski, you're from the area...maybe you can help?  According to my distant memory (and with some help from Mapquest) we'll head SW out of GR on Uinta Dr/Hwy 530?  ___ miles to Lost Dog Rd?  ___ miles to Lost Dog?  Any recommendations for accomodations in GR?
yea head south on uinta, go up the hill out of town ruffly 5 miles or so and youll see the lost dog sign...its hard to miss! oh there is sweet dreams motel right at the end of town there next to the bowlin ally.

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2009, 05:51 PM »
Wow, they have 115 people signed up for this thing, should be quite a bash!!!! ::) ::) ::) how many from here are going???

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:07 PM »
For you listees in the GR/RS area, there was a nice news release in the rocket miner newspaper today...photos and most of the information supplied by yours truly, and done very tastefully.  The two papers will be there covering the event for a post activity story to help out the ling information to the community.
I even have managed to get a couple single ladies interested in showing up to fish! Hah!

Ready set, go fish!
Thread killer

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2009, 08:53 PM »
 ??? im wondering what the ice is like at lost dog today after nearly 50 degree weather.  did anyone make it down there today.  I bet the edges are getting soft.  took my son down there last sat. night and there was some open water off the point by the car bodies and just down the lake along the cliffs below there had some open water too.   the rest was pretty solid down the lake. 
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:44 PM »
I checked the ice at the area below big firehole, ice was fine along the edges, temp did not rise above 31 degrees today there.
There is a cover of 2" of ice clear down to the pipeline. Be forewarned that there is thin ice below breeze hill even though it is frozen over.   I doubt that there would be any issue with soft ice along the edges as it was 15 degrees most of the night here.
See you all tomorrow!
Dave Freeman
Thread killer

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #25 on: Jan 09, 2009, 08:13 PM »
 :)hey thanks for the ice report i really appreciate it. hope to see you tommorrow.  thanks again
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:04 PM »
Dear Listees;
The attendance at the Burbot Bash was excellent, we had well over 100 participants!  The Party was a screaming success by all accounts. Tons of fishermen and women present, good ice, lots and lots of door prizes were drawn for participants. Please  and thank you to all of the event sponsors at this time.   The Wyoming Game and Fish, Utah Game and Fish, and the Flaming Gorge Recreation Area administrators did a great job of helping put on the event in their own capascities.
I think that regardless of the number of ling caught, the event was even more of a success due to the fishermen showing up in force to try to accomplish this noble cause.
I for one, can see a second even next year if things go as well after dark as they did during the daylight hours.
With a bit more time to organize a future event, this should be something that the gorge fishery should embrace and that Wyoming tourism folks should support with some form of sponsorship.

I will post some photos, or get some page up with a half dozen or so photos for your viewing delight. Thoughts LT?
Again, a big thanks to Curtis and the rest of the great folks that put a lot of time in to this very successful event!
Dave Freeman  Rock Springs
Thread killer

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2009, 09:08 PM »
Sounds like a howling success Dave, if there's a link, send it to me and I'll upload it so we can all enjoy it. LT/ISM  ;D :tipup:

Offline chriswy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gonna need a bigger hole!!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 10, 2009, 10:49 PM »
I checked the ice at the area below big firehole, ice was fine along the edges, temp did not rise above 31 degrees today there.
There is a cover of 2" of ice clear down to the pipeline. Be forewarned that there is thin ice below breeze hill even though it is frozen over.   I doubt that there would be any issue with soft ice along the edges as it was 15 degrees most of the night here.
See you all tomorrow!
Dave Freeman

are you talking the pipeline south of anvil?

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:42 AM »
Here's the link to the photos on WYIfish (Dave Freeman's) site, just click on it and then scroll down to "Ling Bling" in the left-hand selection column, thanks for the fine pics Dave and for the fantastic coverage you guys got for the event. Looks like it will become an anuual affair?! Great.               
                                                                               LT
                                                                               Iceshanty Moderator  ;D :tipup:
PS, Dave has some other interesting ice-fishing pics in other categories.

http://freemansfossilsales.com/default.aspx

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.