Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Warm Weather/Hickory Grove  (Read 573 times)

Offline W_Morrison

• IceShanty Rookie
Warm Weather/Hickory Grove
« on: Dec 26, 2008, 08:22 PM »
Anybody try anywhere today, pretty warm around central iowa.  Gonna try hickory grove tomorrow, anybody been out there yet this season.  Dont want to be in 3 inches of standing water though.

Offline DougU

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Where did I leave the extension?????
Re: Warm Weather/Hickory Grove
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2008, 09:02 PM »
We went to Williamson Pond today. 1-2 inches of water on top everywhere and 6+ in places. Most holes you drilled ended up with a vortex aiin them; we drilled a couple more close and you could usually fish one of them. The water was degrading the ice at a fairly fast pace and a couple more days of this will ruin it. It was eroding the lips of the holes due to the flow from the top. Managed some decent gills and a couple crappie but it wasn't a fast bite by any means. I'm hoping the ice north of I-80 didn't take quite the pounding that it did down south. Williamson had about 6" of good ice when we started but I'm sure that it went down. There were also nasty looking spider cracks in a few places and I heard it crack in a few spots while checking for depths :o :o :o (it sure wasn't making ice today). It had also degraded around the shoreline when we left at 5 PM. Can't say i would recommend trying the ice down south for awhile

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.