The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: ice spud  (Read 2492 times)

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
ice spud
« on: Dec 23, 2008, 06:41 AM »
Anyone know where I can get an ice spud around here? Haven't seen them for sale in awhile. Wanted to pick one up to test the ice thickness and for late season ice fishing. Right now I'm using a small axe.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
Re: ice spud
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:14 AM »
ellis marine in leominster had them. call first

burp

lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2008, 07:33 AM »
Natick outdoor store has them as well.

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2008, 11:46 AM »
Kittery had 2 when I went there last, call ahead. Well Kittery had 1 when I left..

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "DROP THAT FISH" - B. Meredith - Grumpy Old Men 93
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:53 PM »
Not to sound stupid, but if an ice spud is an ice chisel, I just bought a jiffy ice chisel at bass pro shop for 30 bucks.  It's really bass a** too.... they had two left as of Sunday.
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2008, 04:32 PM »
Spud bar=ice chisel, I don't think you sounded stupid

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2008, 04:59 PM »
If you can't find one let me know!
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2008, 05:22 PM »
Whats funny is two seasons ago, we ere using my friends dads old ice chisel, but it was a like 25 lb bar.  talk about heavy after 5 holes.  the tip was none existent, just the weight did the damage.  it worked and we caught lots of fish.  some guys love ice chisels, but chipping 8" of ice was horrible, but we could chip any angle we wanted.  The sub bass I caught I had to hold on until we chipped a bigger hole, well worth it. I vow we needed to get an auger.  so we chipped in (no pun intended) and bought the jilly 3hp 10" last year and we love it!!!!
"I've caught more fish than you've lied about Gustafson" - Max Goldman - Grumpy Old Men 1993

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2008, 05:27 PM »
heres me with the SUB and a look at the chisel/spud on the sled

Offline THE Spud

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2008, 05:35 PM »
 Jiffy sells them on there web site Mills Lac Ice Chisle about $45 they have been making them for at least the last 30yrs All I used until reacently. Just remember put the rope around your wrist they tend to sink real fast if they slip out of your hands while cutting FRED
Join us on the 2013 Vermont Sportsmen's Tournament Series and The Northeast Icefishing Circuit .

Offline ThatsASub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2008, 05:46 PM »
Jiffy sells them on there web site Mills Lac Ice Chisle about $45 they have been making them for at least the last 30yrs All I used until reacently. Just remember put the rope around your wrist they tend to sink real fast if they slip out of your hands while cutting FRED
Really great point.  We do the same and we bring a magnet just in case it does slip.

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Just remember put the rope around your wrist they tend to sink real fast if they slip out of your hands while cutting

I found that out the hard way when I was a kid.  My father wasn't too happy when I told him I lost his chisel down the hole   ;D

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:09 PM »
I use an ice mutt with a 3 inch blade that I got at a hardware store.  Most people use them for chipping ice off walkways or driveways.  It's got a long wooden handle like a shovel, so it's lighter than the all-metal ones for long walks.  They take an edge pretty well, and if you're not going through more than 5 inches of ice they work really well. 

I haven't checked to see if the wooden handle makes it float, but I doubt it would...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline playhardtte

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2008, 09:16 PM »

Seen them at DICKS SPORTING GOODS, if you have one near you.

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2008, 10:18 PM »

Been there done that.  The first time I used my spud it slipped out of my hand and went down.  Fortunately, it was shallow water so it never really went through all the way.  I have never used it again without the webbed handle around my wrist.  Picked mine up at Kittery two years ago. 
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline fishingeek

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 24, 2008, 06:47 AM »
Yeah thanks guys. My reason to use an ice chisel is to check the thickness and test deeper water for ice thickness in the early and late season.

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 28, 2008, 08:05 AM »
my 2 piece one is at the bottom of west thompson lake , slipped right out of my hand ,too lazy to wrap the cord and was not paying attention. The funny thing is I must of looked at that hole for about 15 seconds like it was going to pop back up or something,watching air bubbles come up , had a replaceable tip too . (thats all i keep hearing when think about is is the from happy gilmore " jackass"! :'(
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Offline BigG3206

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 28, 2008, 02:10 PM »
The funny thing is I must of looked at that hole for about 15 seconds like it was going to pop back up or something

Lol!! Been there done that.   ;)

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work!!

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 29, 2008, 06:56 PM »
Natick outdoor store does have them. :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 29, 2008, 11:58 PM »
You guys really need to drill a hole in the end of your spud and wrap it around yours hand never lose one again. I have a spud only use it for testing the ice much easier to use an auger especially when the ice gets real thick

Keith

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.