Author Topic: Waxies/Spikes/Fake Maggots  (Read 3042 times)

Offline big game hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FISH ON!!!
Waxies/Spikes/Fake Maggots
« on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:24 PM »
do you prefer to use wakies/spikes/fake maggots when jigging with a plain hook or jig
Lets Go Fishing

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
Re: Waxies/Spikes/Fake Maggots
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:29 PM »
I find myself using spikes more than waxies

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:37 PM »
Spikes do tend to last longer than waxies (they can take a hit and stay on the hook) but it seems like the crappie can't resist a nice fat waxie that's been slightly squeezed to make it juicy.

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:39 PM »
WAXIES ARE THE BEST, YOU CAN'T BEAT THEM!!!

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2008, 04:40 PM »
I find that the spikes last a lot longer in the fridge between trips.  Have ordered a bunch in December and had them last through February before.  The waxies, stored in my cool basement, don't seem to last as long.

jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2008, 05:26 PM »
I ever go out without waxies. Almost any fish species around here will hit them. I am going to try spikes this year, I just need to order some.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2008, 08:37 PM »
I have used spikes, waxies, and mousies.  For some reason I can't keep the spikes alive very long.  Always transfer 'em to a bait puck, but after 24 hours, some are brown and dead, and after two or three days all of 'em are dead.  Tried keeping them at between 50 & 60 degrees, 40 - 45 in the fridge, but no luck.  Any advice?  This keeps me from buying some in bulk.

Jeff

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2008, 10:14 PM »
Skeeter. I think spikes/maggots need to be kept closer to freezing/40*. Wax worms are more around the 50* temp. I usually keep my maggots in a second refrigerator in the basement. They tend to last pretty long.  Lou

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2008, 08:24 PM »
I like spikes because they are durable, but as Lou stated they need to be pretty cold, I think I remember 38 being about optimal. They will last quite a while in the fridge. Wax worms are a great all around bait as well but need to be 50-60 give or take. I always seem to have trouble keeping them for too long, and it helps to pick out the dead ones. Mousies are good too, and the last time I had some, lasted really well in the fridge. They are a bit harder to find around here, though. That dangling little tail gives you a bit more attraction action IMO.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 27, 2008, 07:52 AM »
I have used spikes, waxies, and mousies.  For some reason I can't keep the spikes alive very long.  Always transfer 'em to a bait puck, but after 24 hours, some are brown and dead, and after two or three days all of 'em are dead.  Tried keeping them at between 50 & 60 degrees, 40 - 45 in the fridge, but no luck.  Any advice?  This keeps me from buying some in bulk.

Jeff
I think you are keeping your spikes in a environment that is to warm.  I keep mine at a temp of approx. 32 degrees.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 27, 2008, 11:08 AM »
The last few seasons I have been buying 2k spikes in december and still have some left in april. I change the wood shavings often, pull out any dead ones and keep them in a ziploc bag. I keep them in the fridge towards the middle. You want to keep them cold 34-36 degrees F.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.