Author Topic: Marquette Lower Harbor  (Read 13540 times)

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marquette Lower Harbor
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 07:42 PM »
Just drove by the lower harbor and it is skimmed all the way across. Hopefully it can stay cold and the wind wont blow it out right away.
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
Re: Marquette Lower Harbor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 08:36 PM »
I'll pry drive by and check the harbor out tommorrow afternoon. With these cold themps tonite I wouldn't be surprised to see 2" of ice. Maybe be fishing it by this weekend if everything works out.

Offline smokepants

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2008, 06:24 AM »
Last time we had good hard ice on the harbor I  slammed a real nice coho.  One of the best tasting fish I had ever caught.  Just remember when walking out watch for the waterplant discharge (that is the bubbling you see just out from the coast guard dock).

Neil.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2008, 01:40 PM »
I just drove down and checked the ice. I didn't have the balls to step out into 25' of water off the marina parking lot access so I drove down to the pump house next to the coast gaurd station. I only walked out 10 feet or so and the ice was 2". The ice was piled up quite a bit over there so I don't know how thick the rest of the harbor was but it looked promising. Supposed to be really cold again tonite so I might have to check it again tomorrow.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2008, 10:15 AM »
I fished the harbor yesterday and the ice was 3.5-4" of solid black ice. I went out again this morning to try and fish again but it ain't gonna happen any time soon. The wind last night blew everything out except for a small piece right in front the access. The temps are suppposed to be real cold for a while so it should freeze back up again sometime.

Offline HuntCast

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2008, 12:04 PM »
Fishing the harbor in Marquette is a good way to get yourself dead.
Ever notice that even though it is great fishing out there, no one does it?
Munising bay and Baraga/L'Anse are the best options for not killing yourself.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2008, 04:46 PM »

No ice on the harbor, todays storm blew it all out.

I will disagree with the quote above, after enough cold nights and steady weather the lower harbor can be quite safe to fish, however you do have to keep an eye on the weather report. But for most ice fishermen this isn't anything out of the ordinary to check the weather before you head out. You obvoiusly don't drive by the harbor daily since you say no one fishes it when it is frozen over.
-Sro

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2008, 05:55 PM »

I'll admit the ice can be sketchy at times but later in the season the whole bay will freeze up behind it and there is no where for the ice to blow out to. The wind is the worst thing out there, just keep an eye on it to make sure it not blowing hard out to the big lake.

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:55 PM »
what's the prognosis for fishing the harbor?

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:02 PM »
i fished the harbor once on the 17th of december but the ice has been in and out since then. its supposed to be below zero this week so i bet theres gonna be fishable ice there this weekend. ill try and post a report it i make it out there.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2009, 10:20 AM »
You really have to live in marquette and be able to keep any eye on it if you want any hope in fishing it safely. Like Browning said, it has been in and out multiple times over break. I have been out of town for 4-5 days and when i drove back in yesterday it was completely frozen over but i wouldn't think about fishing it yet just because i haven't been keeping any eye on it. Hopefully it stays put and stays cold and forms some solid ice. If everything stays put i'll prob go down there with a spud on thursday and check her out and then fish it friday if possible.
-Sro

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:55 PM »
Give a report if there is solid ice to fish on... I'd like to go this weekend or early next week.  Living up on the hill I can't get down there often enough to gage the ice.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2009, 04:33 PM »
just went and checked and there was ice about 1/2 of the way down the break wall. the coast gaurd walked up to the edge of open water with 4 guys and a small boat to do some kind of training excersises. the ice must be decent enough out there because i couldnt see any areas where they broke through. we spudded a few holes near the bubbler and there was 4" of black ice. i might give it a try tomorrow afternoon and stick close to shore. the harbor is gonna have some serious ice by this weekend if the wind doesn't blow it out.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2009, 09:40 PM »
this wind isn't looking to great right now :-\ im still gonna go check it tomorrow afternoon. hopefully the ice survives

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2009, 11:41 AM »
im heading out the the harbor around 3. if there good ice im setting up some tip ups and watching them from the parking lot from the comfort of my truck. ill let you know how the ice(or the lack there of) is when i get back.

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:02 PM »
i'll post browning's report for him (didn't make it to the lake), the wind last night blew the ice out last night so no fishing on the lower harbor
-Sro

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:52 PM »
rumor has is it there was a shack out on the harbor today!

Offline haydo601

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2009, 08:18 PM »
Yeah there was a shack set up right off from the fish cleaning station... about 50 yards out.. There were some tipups out about 100 yards.. the tracks show he was walking all over..

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:47 PM »
we fished the harbor from 2-6 today. no flags but the ice was good. 5-6" of black ice with almost no snow on top. hopefully the ice is here to stay for a while...you never know with the big lake. we did mark some fish on the bottom in 30fow but no biters.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2009, 07:35 AM »
hey browning. ....... have you ever tried right in front of the channel where the boats leave the cinder pond? everytime i launch my boat i allways mark fish in a hole soon as you get into open water coming out of the marina  right between the red and green lights about 20' into the open water.   im gonna have to give it a whirl!!

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:05 AM »
we fished the harbor again yesterday but it was slow. we did mark a lot of fish tight to the bottom in 25-30fow so were going to try something different next time. there was about 7" of black ice and from what we could see the entire bay is frozen behind the harbor at this time.

Offline RAT140

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:39 PM »
i live in marquette and i was wondering where you are fishing out there and wat kind of bait you use and lures ect...  :tipup: if you could help me out that would be great thanks
chris andersen
Brrrrr! Its cold Lets go fishing :)

Offline searcher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:55 AM »
headin out today around 10, went last night and ice was good out to the green can. gonna head out farther today and see what i can find, be in a blue shack if u come out

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:29 PM »
i actually just looked on the lower harbor web cam on the tv 6 site, and seen a blue shack right  out from the marina entrance.  how did you do??   cant make up my mind if im gonna go to christmas or the lower harbor tomorrow.

Offline s-Fest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:28 PM »
Trolls going to school at NMU and spreading fishing info all over the www..........now thats fishin!!!

Have fun at your s-Fest!

Offline trapperman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:44 PM »
I don't think Marquette Harbor is much of a secret.

Offline s-Fest

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:52 PM »
Perhaps not...............neit her is the depth the fish are at............or the tactics that are hot............or what........how....... .or........why........ .just keep on s-Festing fellas..........

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:06 PM »
s- fest you are sooooo SAD  :laugh:this site is too good for people like you

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:25 PM »
Trolls going to school at NMU and spreading fishing info all over the www..........now thats fishin!!!

Have fun at your s-Fest!
I hope you arn't rippin on nmu, or LP fishermen for that matter :-X

Offline JKneibel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:12 PM »
I have a good question....Why the heck would someone join a forum that is unwilling to help out a fellow fisherman put a few more fish on the ice.  That is sad S-fest.  You are the kind of person that gives fishermen a bad name.  Why dont you leave the site and go twiddle your thumbs by yourself on your bucket all alone out on the lake.  Im sure you will have lots of fun.
A bad day fishing and drinking beer is better than a good day at work!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.