Author Topic: Other fish finders with flasher option  (Read 1816 times)

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Other fish finders with flasher option
« on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:23 PM »
Does anybody know any cheaper fish finders with a flasher option? I've seen a couple just wondering if anybody knows of a cheap alternative.

germanshorthair

Re: Other fish finders with flasher option
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:41 PM »
Does anybody know any cheaper fish finders with a flasher option? I've seen a couple just wondering if anybody knows of a cheap alternative.
i wouldn't go cheap with a flasher.. anyway.. i own two small handholdable sonars.. the first i bought specifically for ice fishing ..i bought a lazer hand auger 5" excellent for lower regions and ice a foot or less.. light fast cutting and with that came a  strike master catalog where i discovered the first "polar vision" sonar.. great for carrying in my parka .. the other is a digital fish finder called a hawkeye 3355 it too reads digital depth and may even chart fish but I have yet to see how well over hardwater.. not the best over open water as it is so small display etc.. kinda cool though for an inexpensive sonar.. depth to me is most important.. both these devices fullfill this purpose. Anybody here ever own a hawkeye 3355 or similar portable sonar please feel free to comment.. i want some reviews out here.

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2008, 04:50 PM »
I've been looking at online auctions and everything I find is around $200 or more. I guess I should just spend the money since I already have 2 of everything else. I'm addicted to buying gear and just wanted to rig up something cheap to prove its good enough for who its for.

germanshorthair

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2008, 06:37 PM »
I've been looking at online auctions and everything I find is around $200 or more. I guess I should just spend the money since I already have 2 of everything else. I'm addicted to buying gear and just wanted to rig up something cheap to prove its good enough for who its for.
zonk, if i were really in the market for a flasher, i would first see demonstrations at a show or go to a gander mt or some big sports fishing store. Than I would try finding a reputable dealer  for bargains online without voiding warranties ..return policies etc.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2008, 09:27 PM »
http://vexilar.com/pages/products/products_outlet.html

Hopefully that link works. Try this out. You get the benifit of the cheaper price of a used flasher, but also the benifit of a 2 year factory warranty...... Best of both worlds!!!!

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2008, 01:48 AM »

You don't need need a flasher option to use a sonar unit out on the ice. Matter of fact, I prefer using my sonar in graph mode, even though it will do both. It lets me look back in time a few seconds to see what going on, when I look away. It has a much better zoom feature than either a vex or marcum too.

If you have a sonar unit for the softwater, you can use it on the ice. Set its ping speed to max and chart/scroll to a fast speed as well.

My first sonar on the ice was an old Eagle FisheasyII, I still use it once in a while too. Then I bought a FL-18 and used it six years, then I bough a Lowrance and now I leave the Vex at home.

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2008, 08:49 PM »
You don't need need a flasher option to use a sonar unit out on the ice. Matter of fact, I prefer using my sonar in graph mode, even though it will do both. It lets me look back in time a few seconds to see what going on, when I look away. It has a much better zoom feature than either a vex or marcum too.

If you have a sonar unit for the softwater, you can use it on the ice. Set its ping speed to max and chart/scroll to a fast speed as well.

My first sonar on the ice was an old Eagle FisheasyII, I still use it once in a while too. Then I bought a FL-18 and used it six years, then I bough a Lowrance and now I leave the Vex at home.

Thanks a whole lot. I've been trying to figure out how well a set up like yours would work. I've used my buddy's Lowrance and absolutely loved it, but just can't bring myself to spend that much money one. A lot of my fishing is in shallow water, say 3-6 feet, and I don't really need it for that. Everybody seems pretty dedicated to their flashers I'm sure I'll have one but probably not this season. I'll let you know what I rig up and how well it hopefully works.

germanshorthair

« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Thanks a whole lot. I've been trying to figure out how well a set up like yours would work. I've used my buddy's Lowrance and absolutely loved it, but just can't bring myself to spend that much money one. A lot of my fishing is in shallow water, say 3-6 feet, and I don't really need it for that. Everybody seems pretty dedicated to their flashers I'm sure I'll have one but probably not this season. I'll let you know what I rig up and how well it hopefully work
  just remember the most important and quickest way to locate fish is to move around until you find them. drill holes , find open ones ,jig .. go with the most portable debt sounder (sonar) and learn the impoundments bottom structure. Learn to read a lake amd fishes patterns and you are more than half way there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.