Author Topic: clam corp ice armor  (Read 4153 times)

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
clam corp ice armor
« on: Dec 11, 2008, 11:59 PM »
i am really thinking of getting this suit (the blue one) untill i saw it on the dumbest purchases. How deos everyone that has one like them???????? ???

Offline InSearchOfPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: clam corp ice armor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2008, 12:36 AM »
Depends on if you want to look cool or be warm.  lol..I had one and its not warm...you have to layer with it.  The grey ones are warm as heck...but the price is high.  I personally like the strike master suits for warmth and affordability.  about 250 for the set.  But I have heard great things for the IDI suits too.  I just think for the cost of the blue suits, there are other options to look at.  I live in South Dakota where the wind blows about 200 mph and its usually below 15 degrees.  Maybe in some of the other warmer regions of the ice belt the blue suit is more practical than it is around here.  your going to get alot of different opinions on this, so maybe take a real close look at them all before you decide.

Offline mr.bibit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • owner/operator VTSPORTSMAN
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2008, 12:53 AM »
I have the blue suit and I like it the suit is wind and water proof It's not insulated so I put on a heavy fleece under the coat.IDI is good and you would want to compair it to the gray suit as they are insulated.the one I would pick is the IDI because for the same price it floats and I fish thin ICE.
Scott
Vtsportsman hardwater tournament series

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008, 06:17 AM »
I own the blue suit and love it,  you do have to layer, as the jackets is like a shell, keeps the wind and water out but not the cold. But that being said, you may have to do that with most outfits. It is one of my best purchases, very versitle.,,my buddy owns a grey, and they are warmer so it depends on how you like to dress on the ice..

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:02 AM »
I like mine it works just fine for me and I got the set on sale for 160.00 :tipup:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:12 AM »
I get lots of use from my Ice Armor (Blue). I do need to layer when the weather is very cold, but I also use it in my boat spring and fall. I do not get cold when I am fishing and I stay dry in the rain, snow or kneeling on the ice.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline mrpike2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:19 AM »
check out sportsmans guide for there blue suit half the price as the clam and insulated

Offline canthookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2008, 08:43 AM »
I tried on the blue & gray suits yesterday. The blue suit feels like such a far cry from the gray one, for $100 more the gray one feels like it's completely worth it.

cant hook it! have to be honest!! looking for used underwater camera & older snowmobile in the MA area.

Offline swirusek

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:04 AM »
If i was you i would go with IDI Suit
Next to IceGator it is the best purchase i made this year

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:17 AM »
I have the blue suit and I like it , as with ANY outerware you are supposed to layer .
With this suit you just dont have to layer as much as you would with something like Carhartt clothing .
The best part about them is that their waterproof and have padded knees for checking traps or jigging .
I will agree that if you're going to spend that kind of money the grey suit is the way to go .

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #10 on: Dec 12, 2008, 09:27 AM »
I have the Vexilar cold snap suit.  I really like it.  It is very warm and laid out by somebody that has spent some time on the ice.  Pockets in the right places.  High collar on the top.  The only part I don't like is that the suit reminds me of a NASCAR driver outfit.  It has Vexilar patches all over it and one huge one on the back.  You sort of look like a walking Vexilar billboard when you wear it. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:47 AM »
Depends on if you want to look cool or be warm.  lol..I had one and its not warm...you have to layer with it.  The grey ones are warm as heck...but the price is high.  I personally like the strike master suits for warmth and affordability.  about 250 for the set. 

LOL.  I agree.  If you absolutely need/want the blue/grey ice armor suit because thats what everyone seems to wear icefishing....then by all means try on whichever one you like and buy it.  Personally I wear a camo 10X set of bibs and rarely even put on the jacket because it is so warm.  I don't care what outfit you wear, your going to need to layer underneath it.  I mean your not going to just put your "undies" on and jump into any suit? Right? Get yourself the best polyproplyene/under armour you can afford and layer under whatever suit you want and you should be fine.    Understand you want a warm suit ...Yes, but if you do not properly layer and wear "cotton" next to your skin...underneath it(bad move) and you have a far walk out on the ice...I don't care what outfit you have.....your going to be cold once you cool down from the walk.  Cotton is horrible next to the skin.  If you remember one thing....remember that.  Polypro/underarmour is TOTALLY worth the cost as it will wick all that moisture away from your body and keep you warmer day in and day out! The 10X suit I purchased is like the blue suits only I set "it" aside for icefishing.  It never goes into the woods while deer hunting.  Heck, I walked in it once and said that was enough!  I was so hot and sweaty from it, I figured if I did wear it hunting it would have to be carried in with me for stand hunting cause it was just too darn warm. Buy whatever suit you want and invest in the layering garments.  Just my 2c.
Obviously if you end up in a heated 65 degree shanty everytime you go out you can get by with just the undies.   ;D
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2008, 10:53 AM »
I have the blue suite and love it. Wind proff water proff. It's great
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:00 PM »
I see a lot of Papa Smurfs on the ice and the ones I have talked to seem to like the outfits. I have Arctic Armor and have only used it twice, but it seems to be good stuff.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2008, 04:48 PM »
I've owned both. The blue one was decent but the the Extreme version is much better. I use it more than when I'm on the ice. I've fished in nasty, raw rain... Kinda like what it was doing here for the last 2 days  ::) I've also worn mine in the boat while doing 60 mph in sub freezing temps, I can tell you for sure that it is 100% wind proof   :laugh:

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2008, 05:10 PM »
Another thumbs up here. One other piece of input is the weight savings, My carhartt's used to weigh me down, and if/when they got wet....forget about it!. Also if you do any plowing say with a 4 wheeler..you will be toasty. Good luck with your choice
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline Wicked_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it aint worth doin -- It aint worth doin right
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2008, 06:26 PM »
I have the blue suit and love it.  My 'ol man bought the grey suit and he likes it too.  The reason I want for the blue is I fish in my flip over and have the heater going and I can regulate my temp better by what I am wearing under the blue suit.  If I had the grey I would be too warm in there,  I Also wear it in the spring fishing the Miss. when it is a little warmer than ice fishing but too cold for regular rain gear.  Bottom line is the blue suit is more versatile.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2008, 06:44 PM »
I've been a Blue Clam Group member for 2 or 3 seasons now and very happy.

It works very well as armor. The bibs are awesome. The high density foam padding in the knees and butt are a blessing. I can kneel down around a hole without waiting to see if a jagged chunk of ice frozen around my hole is going to do bad things to my knee cap yet again. My legs don't get cold, so i was always fine with jeans and those cheapo $20 bibs you could get at Dick's or whatever sporting goods chain. My avatar pic was taken 2 weeks before i bought them.

My upper body gets specifiic layering so i don't sweat while moving around, and i'll toss on the Ice Armor jacket if it's really cold, windy, or raining/snowing.

Other benefits are the amazing number of pockets you get from wearing it. You're kissing cousins to a walking tackle shop if needed. Plus all of these Ice, Arctic, Extreme, Whatever suits are great for more than ice. They're also good for cold, rainy days before or after ice, or even out on the salt fishing on rotten days.
Heck, even use it when snowblowing or shoveling the driveway to intimidate your neighbors. ;)

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:20 PM »
depending on what you have now, a suit will be, hands down the best all around fishing purchase you EVER make.  Like Blaine said, its a fall, winter, early spring suit.  I have the IDI arctic armor jacket and the ice armor pants.  I think with all of them you have to layer,  but there have been days -10 and worse with crazy windchills where im without a shanty and still good to go.  The other benefit to ALL suits is that there are a BAZILLION pockets and next season you are GUARANTEED to find some useful treasures.  :D

E

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.