Author Topic: Fishing Reports  (Read 4049 times)

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
Fishing Reports
« on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:42 AM »
Hey fellas, i was looking through your SD topic board and i really havent seen a whole lot of reports about fishing and ice conditions.  Is there another website that gets more traffic?  A group of us are looking to head up to the glacial chain lakes in mid january and i was kind of looking for an ice condition report.  Thanks

Offline Hawk 27

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Fishing Reports
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 02:02 PM »
You should be fine by mid-january for ice conditions, but before you go you can call Sportsmans Cove 605-345-2468. They have a pretty decent report they give, if anything is biting at that time.
Wherever you go.......there you are.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fishie says "Why you looking at me like that?"
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:47 PM »
5-6" of ice now is pretty common in NE south dakota.next week we are to get some real artic temps to settle in,should make for some good ice,but January can be the dog days of fishin here.usually fishin slows down then,but could be a hit and miss thing.Waubay Lake might be a spot to look at for Walleys and Perch, also Bitter Lake.Stay warm and catch your limits.
born to fish---forced to work

Offline anderson_dc

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 11, 2008, 08:57 AM »
Thanks for the heads up fellas and thank you who PM'ed me as well.  Im just hoping for ice thick enough to drive vehicles on safely for when we are up there.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:36 AM »
The way it is storming today, I think my goal is to make it to my garage.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 09:11 PM »
was on Big Stone Lake ,down on the south end by the islands,too much snow for pickups anymore,got stuck with 4by4 lastweekend  and a few slush pockets, yesterday we took the 4-wheeler out,snow is hard enough it stays on top,put the v-bar chains on it and had no problem pulling the fish house sled,the only way to get around  is 4-wheelers and sleds.put the camera down and saw lots of perch come in and look and leave.we threw everything at them plus the kitchensink.they just aren't biting.i did get to try out my new showdown and am well satisfied with it as with my new jammin jigs. a pink one did get our only perch for the day.

Offline rlvb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:27 PM »
my son and i did fish on Pickeral this week-end,both Sat, and Sun.ifthere would have been a water tower and a post office out their,youd swear it was a city when you drove up. it probably is the only lake you can get on by pickup.way on north end on the west side of the lake.some one must keep that somewhat open,just a deep track till on the ice,not to much snow on ice on north end where you need to fish in the 30 fow. fishin was tough,put the camera down and saw a fair amount of perch but not a real good bite.got 2 perch, a nice gill and a nice crappie.yesterday was REAL windy,that sucked trying to put the big Eskimo up,we marked alot of fish coming up off the bottom,a couple bites and caught 1 crappie.they just werent biting.talked to some guys coming off lake and they said they were catching some real dinky walleyes.sunday wasnt as pressure fished as sat.was but a bet it will be fished hard if its the only lake to get on. went up to Drywood to check that out,ain't getting on that lake.I seen RealityCheck had a post on this evening that he was fishing a lake i believe in Michigan where they were catching gills so easy and biting so good that they moved to a lake where it was a challenge to catch them. anybody know where its like that in SD. i wanna move to a lake like that where you can mark fish in January and limit in a hour. Is it that its just too cold this far north or what?

Offline james l hoffman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2009, 02:43 PM »

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:18 PM »
my son and i did fish on Pickeral this week-end,both Sat, and Sun.ifthere would have been a water tower and a post office out their,youd swear it was a city when you drove up. it probably is the only lake you can get on by pickup.way on north end on the west side of the lake.some one must keep that somewhat open,just a deep track till on the ice,not to much snow on ice on north end where you need to fish in the 30 fow. fishin was tough,put the camera down and saw a fair amount of perch but not a real good bite.got 2 perch, a nice gill and a nice crappie.yesterday was REAL windy,that sucked trying to put the big Eskimo up,we marked alot of fish coming up off the bottom,a couple bites and caught 1 crappie.they just werent biting.talked to some guys coming off lake and they said they were catching some real dinky walleyes.sunday wasnt as pressure fished as sat.was but a bet it will be fished hard if its the only lake to get on. went up to Drywood to check that out,ain't getting on that lake.I seen RealityCheck had a post on this evening that he was fishing a lake i believe in Michigan where they were catching gills so easy and biting so good that they moved to a lake where it was a challenge to catch them. anybody know where its like that in SD. i wanna move to a lake like that where you can mark fish in January and limit in a hour. Is it that its just too cold this far north or what?
I guess those of us that live in SD just aren't that good at catching them yet.  ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.