Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Hooper Lake, Lake Ahquabi, Blue Heron Lakes  (Read 2052 times)

buzzdpm

Hooper Lake, Lake Ahquabi, Blue Heron Lakes
« on: Jan 26, 2004, 06:39 PM »
Fished the marina at Saylorville last week for about an hour and didn't mark a fish, lots of schools of shad came through. Was only 14' foot deep at its deepest.  Figure crappies would be deeper in a reservoir if they have a choice.  Oh well, still trying to find catchable fish outside of Big Creek in the Des Moines area.
Wondering if anyone has ventured out on Hooper Lake, Ahquabi Lake, or Blue Heron Lakes, either this winter or any winter.  Any catchable crappie, walleye, or even bluegills?  

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re:Hooper Lake, Lake Ahquabi, Blue Heron Lakes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2004, 01:15 PM »
Haven't fished Hooper for a couple weeks or heard anything about it.  Got into some gills but nothing to exciting.  Talked to a guy at the ramp who filled a bucket that morning as he was heading back out for the evening bite.  Never been to Ahquabi.  Hear the Redears are good size if you can find them.  I'm told to start on the dam.

I'm wanting to know how the guys are doing on West Lake and 3 mile.  Haven't heard a report yet this year.  Also wanting to find the craps at Red Rock.  Fished Roberts Creek last week in the dark and couldn't catch anything bigger than 7 inch fish.  I moved and moved around a brushpile and kept pulling up the little guys.  Heard that some guys were getting into some good size fish on the main lake but no idea where.  Anybody want to point me in the right direction out there?  

Offline BellyupFeetdanglin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hooper Lake, Lake Ahquabi, Blue Heron Lakes
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2004, 12:50 PM »
Fished Hooper again last night.  6-9  Caught about 20 craps and a few gills.  Talked to some guys out there that had been out the night before and caught 58.  Didn't say how big,but I'm guessing there was a lot of sorting though as can be expected there.  Cleaned 7 fish all between the 9-14" range......Supper tonight!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.