The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Catching Bait!  (Read 17588 times)

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
Re: Catching Bait!
« Reply #120 on: Nov 18, 2008, 06:58 PM »
orange fins are usually gold shinners they could be juvenile and I could be wrong good job capt keep that spot chummed .

Moved another trap over from a different pond and put it about 15 feet away.  Do you throw loose chum around your traps to bring them in to the area ? 

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline Dozindoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:11 PM »
I catch tons of huge Fall Fish (creek chub, Some also call river dace) in small local streams that run fast. I catch tons of shiners in a small pond made by a dam in a small creek (it's only about 3 or 4 feet deep. but I can't find any Suckers! WHERE ARE THE SUCKERS AND HOW DO I CATCH THEM??? Thanks  ;D
Who needs suckers when you have dace ???

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #122 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Moved another trap over from a different pond and put it about 15 feet away.  Do you throw loose chum around your traps to bring them in to the area ? 

(Image removed from quote.)
When you move your traps throw a chum bag in the water its already chumed from the trap and if the school comes by you want them to hang out til you throw the trap in again  :tipup:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #123 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:20 PM »
I catch tons of huge Fall Fish (creek chub, Some also call river dace) in small local streams that run fast. I catch tons of shiners in a small pond made by a dam in a small creek (it's only about 3 or 4 feet deep. but I can't find any Suckers! WHERE ARE THE SUCKERS AND HOW DO I CATCH THEM??? Thanks  ;D
Who needs suckers when you have dace ???
SHHHHHHHHH

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just a kid until the end.
« Reply #124 on: Nov 18, 2008, 09:22 PM »
Can you help me out?  What's the best stuff to chum with?
Member of the GODs, the Grumpy Old Dudes, "We're off our rockers."

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #125 on: Nov 19, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Sounds like you and Mugz are having the same problem finding bait Jimmy. Hang in there buddy. :tipup:

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #126 on: Nov 19, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Sounds like you and Mugz are having the same problem finding bait Jimmy. Hang in there buddy. :tipup:

Who died and made you Mod ?  That's new isn't it ?

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #127 on: Nov 19, 2008, 10:55 AM »
First of all,havent you ever seen another Mod post here? I have been the Mod on the Goatboys Shanty since it began about 7 years ago. So to answer your questions,no one died and it isnt new. Thanks for asking!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #128 on: Nov 19, 2008, 01:15 PM »
mighty fine job too bj, thanks!!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #129 on: Nov 19, 2008, 01:19 PM »
First of all,havent you ever seen another Mod post here? I have been the Mod on the Goatboys Shanty since it began about 7 years ago. So to answer your questions,no one died and it isnt new. Thanks for asking!

Umm, I guess I just never noticed before or was aware of you doing any modding.  All I was going to say was congratulations.  Instead, I guess I'll just say  sorry.

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #130 on: Nov 19, 2008, 01:24 PM »
No problem Capt. :tipup:

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #131 on: Nov 19, 2008, 02:03 PM »
He's the quiet, kinder, gentle mod...... :woot: :roflmao: :callcops:
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline fisherman58

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Nov 19, 2008, 02:11 PM »
Not an ichthyologist, but I don't think they are.  Googled Red Fin and they don't really look the same.  These guys have coloration on ventral fins only.  The bigger ones also seem rounder verse the relatively thin elongated bodies on the ones I saw on my google search.

My Audubon fish guide is at my friends so I am still not sure what they are.  There are many kinds of shiner type fish.

Any other suggestions guys ?they look just like pike bait to me we got some very heavy pike last season on 4 to 6 inchers

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Nov 19, 2008, 06:05 PM »

BJ, how are ya?  Won't be long now and the herd will gather.  I haven't given up yet.  I've got a couple friends trying to hook me up on a new spot.    Going to try a new spot tomorrow. 

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #134 on: Nov 19, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Can you help me out?  What's the best stuff to chum with?
I'm looking for the answer here too to the post Stealth wrote.  Any suggestions?  Just bread?
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #135 on: Nov 19, 2008, 07:09 PM »
try a can of cat food. just poke holes in top of can and put in your trap. then send it down to your spot. i use cat food all the time in my bait trap and it works great.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #136 on: Nov 20, 2008, 08:20 AM »
I noticed a couple of posts that describe violations of Mass. state laws.  A cast net with a radius of 5 feet is illegal in fresh water.  Some of those minnows caught in a trap would be illegal to use as bait.  The state allows only 12 kinds of fish to be used as live or dead bait, so check the list in the state regs (page 5):

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/regulations/abstracts/abstracts.htm

Those solid gold shiners posted above are probably koi, which are prized by those who have garden ponds, but illegal as bait.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Nov 20, 2008, 01:45 PM »
I'm looking for the answer here too to the post Stealth wrote.  Any suggestions?  Just bread?
I use oat meal in onion bags with bread and a rock . :tipup:

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Nov 20, 2008, 01:54 PM »
I noticed a couple of posts that describe violations of Mass. state laws.  A cast net with a radius of 5 feet is illegal in fresh water.  Some of those minnows caught in a trap would be illegal to use as bait.  The state allows only 12 kinds of fish to be used as live or dead bait, so check the list in the state regs (page 5):

Those solid gold shiners posted above are probably koi, which are prized by those who have garden ponds, but illegal as bait.
:callcops: are you a trout trooper or what! you are right the law says three foot radius on cast nets and if your using one have the abstracts on you I had an enviromental tell me they all were illegal after talking to someone at mass wildlife in westboro he informed me this person was wrong and keep abstracts with you when catching bait . this really pisses me off the state lets draggers use bigger than football field sized nets to drag and destroy the ground fishing plus an uncountable amount of other species but we have to use a three foot net for bait in fresh water ???

sorry anytime you bring up nets and the law I will go off . >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( :o

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #139 on: Nov 20, 2008, 01:57 PM »

thankx for the info we need to be more careful on following the regs for the fines could wipe out any savings i agree with the catfood idea here in pa the daily possession limit is 50 per person per day unless you purchase them then the limit is not enforced the net law is the same here why would they sell them if you can use them
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #140 on: Nov 20, 2008, 03:41 PM »

NO :-[.......Those solid gold ones ARE Golden Pond Shiners.  A very legal and desirable bait.

Offline scooper47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #141 on: Nov 21, 2008, 08:14 AM »
I was referring to the photos posted by pikeking on p. 5.  The solid gold fish is a koi.  It does not have the body shape of a golden / pond shiner, and the latter are never solid gold.  There are several pond shiner photos posted on this thread for comparison.  The important point is that if you have a doubt about the identity of a shiner, don't use it.  The EPO does require fishermen to pull up their lines and show what the bait is.  Let's hope we don't get bait laws like they have in VT / NH.

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #142 on: Nov 21, 2008, 04:18 PM »
I agree /look at page 3 those are Goldens mine all mine  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: AND MORE COMING.I am gonna have to start putting them in my swimming pool along with all the Dace. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Look at the fins...they are Goldens....

Offline Imissedem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #144 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:11 PM »
Maybe its just the picture/but it dont look like the goldens i am getting.Dont like the looks of the mouth.But if it is it is.Just hope they are because if it isnt they will spread like wildfire.Just my opinion.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #145 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:41 PM »
First of all, SCOOTER!!!

I did some research into that fish and it was a gold fish. As a good sportsman I let it go. We had 15 of them in our tank and it took a while to get them all out. So thank you for noticing!
THESE ARE CONSIDERED COMMERCIAL BAIT FISH THAT CAN BE SOLD BY VENDERS!(b) "Commercial Bait Fish" are defined as only the following species: bluntnose minnow, emerald shiner, fallfish, fathead minnow, golden shiner, mummichog, spottail shiner, and white sucker

AS FOR YOUR NET COMMENT,,, HERE YOU GO!!!
7. METHODS OF TAKING: Licensed fishermen may take bait fish for personal use only by angling, or by means of a single fish trap with openings of not more than 1 inch or by means of a circular or hoop throw net not exceeding six feet in diameter, or by means of a rectangular net containing not more than 36 square feet of net surface. Resident licensed fishermen who also possess a current and valid permit to take shiners for bait may take commercial bait fish for purposes of sale by means of not more than 10 fish traps with openings not over 1 inch, or by means of a single circular or hoop throw net not exceeding six feet in diameter, or by means of a net containing not more than 200 square feet of net surface. Any fish taken in traps by fishermen, other than bait fish, shall be immediately returned to the waters whence they came. Individual fish may also be taken by angling and immediately used as bait at the site where caught.

HERE ARE SOME MORE BAIT THAT CAN BE USED!!!!! JUST SO YOU DON'T GET MAD AT US!!!!!
(a) "Bait Fish" are defined as only the following species: American eel, banded killifish, bluntnose minnow, creek chubsucker, emerald shiner, fallfish, fathead minnow, golden shiner, mummichog, pumpkinseed, rainbow smelt (subject to restrictions; see below), spottail shiner, white sucker, and yellow perch. A person shall not use as bait any fish, alive or dead, including parts thereof, except those 15 fish listed in this paragraph. Herring may be used as bait in the Connecticut River, Merrimack River, or other coastal rivers and streams, in accordance with the regulations of The Division of Marine Fisheries, but may not be possessed or used as bait in other rivers and streams, or in lakes, ponds, or reservoirs.

I THINK I'M GONNA LIKE YOU MAN,,, YOU SHOULD COME AND FISH WITH US SOMETIME.

Oh by the way, Welcome to Iceshanty. Your stay here would be a good one, but We seem to think you are starting off on the wrong foot. Start over by introducing yourself and telling us a little about yourself. Don't get to worked up about something to quick. There are alot of guys here that know alot about everything and there are alot of guys that know about all kinds of fishing....

Nice to meet you and I hope to get to fish with you this winter.
                                                                                                                                Pikeking
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #146 on: Nov 21, 2008, 07:00 PM »
Scooter,

I was not looking at the same picture...I thought you were commenting on Pike Killers pix....as far as Pike Kings pix...that shiner does look different...no reddish fins either like the goldens usually have...

Karl

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #147 on: Nov 21, 2008, 10:38 PM »
PK he put some starch in your shorts  ;D

pooper scooper chill on the legal crap your coming off as a know it all
PK had some great advice for you .

Offline Stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Nov 22, 2008, 07:02 AM »
Alright, I tried a new spot this week and finally I caught one pumpkinseed in each trap.  They are in my tank because they are the only things I have caught since starting this craziness so I wasn't about to let them go........ and they are legal bait.  Life is good.  At least I have two fish for my bait bucket to bring to the gathering.   LMAO.  I've pulled my  traps for now.  Things have iced over in our area.  Won't be long now.     

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Nov 22, 2008, 08:08 AM »
Thanks Ron.  Oatmeal. Will have to try that. 
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.