Author Topic: Jiffy model # 30  (Read 12308 times)

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jiffy model # 30
« on: Oct 21, 2008, 10:04 AM »
I just bought a used Jiffy Model 30 with an 8" auger from a guy at work for $50.00. He had it for a couple of years and barely used it. Starts up on the first pull. He doesn't know if it's a 2 or 3hp, I think it's a 3 :thumbsup:. Does anyone know if you can replace the 8" with a 9 or 10" auger? :thumbsup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
Re: Jiffy model # 30
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2008, 11:10 AM »
I just bought a used Jiffy Model 30 with an 8" auger from a guy at work for $50.00. He had it for a couple of years and barely used it. Starts up on the first pull. He doesn't know if it's a 2 or 3hp, I think it's a 3 :thumbsup:. Does anyone know if you can replace the 8" with a 9 or 10" auger? :thumbsup: :icefish:
yes you need the auger assembly not just the blade all three are interchangeable but expensive   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Thats a killer buy. I think the 10" auger and blade is 150. I'd use the eight for a year its big enough.

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline frozenwill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2008, 07:47 PM »
good buy.  same as mine,also 8". it is a three horse auger. was thinking of getting a ten or twelve inch, but those are pretty big holes to fall into.  eight is big enough with kids around.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2008, 07:52 PM »
If it is a model 30....it is a 3hp engine and you should look out for the cops because for that price, you stole it!  You do need to buy the entire arbor in order to change hole sizes. I say go with a 10" because it always stirs the pot on here!

Good buy! I run to model 30's that are both 10" and love every moment I have ever spent boring holes!

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2008, 10:47 PM »
I would be getting the 10" if u plan on visiting Saskatchewan.....Last year all we had was a 8" auger and getting those 20-23lb jack are a real nightmare.....Around Alberta it is ok....although i did'nt get a 16lb jack at Wabamun and was so short but was a real pig,I could barely get it through the hole.....
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2008, 12:30 AM »
I would be getting the 10" if u plan on visiting Saskatchewan.....Last year all we had was a 8" auger and getting those 20-23lb jack are a real nightmare.....Around Alberta it is ok....although i did'nt get a 16lb jack at Wabamun and was so short but was a real pig,I could barely get it through the hole.....

yup, no big pike in all of alberta..everyone head to sask, nothing to see here  ;)

You definitely would want the 10" if you are targeting big pike.

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2008, 12:41 AM »
its no secret what provnce has the big pike...u still gotta find them though.....
Not working for 2.5 years because of a bad back is taking it's effect on my bank roll...but hey,my fishing skills are much better :}

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 23, 2008, 05:19 AM »
wow, must be nice to base the size of your auger needed just on the size of the fish you catch!  I can't say that i have ever had that issue here in the 'shire.
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:30 AM »
50$ you lucky guy, thats awsome!  Wish I could find a deal like that, sounds better than 500.

Offline IceMan08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:33 AM »

Are you kidding me with the influx of people that are now fishing the lakes of Sask its gone downhill really bad, I'd personally go to Manitoba ;)

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:41 AM »
Are you kidding me with the influx of people that are now fishing the lakes of Sask its gone downhill really bad, I'd personally go to Manitoba ;)
No big pike left here.............I caught them all through a 10" hole :D ;D ;) :) ;D ;D Have a great hardwater season wherever you fish 8) 8)

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:02 PM »
Thanks everyone,
The guy I bought it off is moving to the coast and was getting rid of a lot of stuff.
I bought the 10" auger at Wholesale Sports for $159.00 and tax. Also picked up a 4 man Ice Cube for 259.00 ($270.00 with the tax) before the prices changed. They are now $289.99 before taxes. I could have used a 10" auger last year, hand drilled an 8" and couldn't get a monster pike through the hole. Yes, we still have em big here in Alberta!!! Believe it or not, it was Eagle Lake just outside of Cow Town.
Tight lines all!!! :tipup: :icefish:
When Hell Freezes over........I'll Ice Fish there too!    <><   <*}}}><     <><   <>< <><

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 25, 2008, 09:10 PM »
The jiffy model 30 in 10" auger runs $399.99 at sportsmans warehouse here in anchorage. ive been wanting to buy one but nervous of the price. are they really that good an auger? if so i guess it would be worth it. we need 10"ers here for big lakers, burbot, pike, and rainbows. last year i had an 8" hole, couldnt pull a big laker through the hole.....it was really traumatic for me....i was devastated.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 26, 2008, 10:54 AM »
The jiffy model 30 in 10" auger runs $399.99 at sportsmans warehouse here in anchorage.
They are about the same down here new. It's well worth the cost, so I'm finding out. Haven't heard anthing bad about them yet. :tipup: :icefish:

Offline bossman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • im all about settin hooks
« Reply #15 on: Oct 26, 2008, 12:51 PM »
wicked deal,,mine was over $500.00 i find the 10 very heavy at times,like carrying it across the lake all the time,,i dont think the 8 inch would be alot lighter but every lb saved is a lb not carried,,lol,be safe
Its all about the good times.

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 26, 2008, 01:41 PM »
IMO 10" augers are seldom necessary, i still use a 8" catch plenty of big pike.  pulled the pike i won the IS tourney last year through an 8" hole.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2008, 06:59 PM »
I totally agree Meadowpikeman!My issue is just that i don't want a monster on my tip up and i can't get them through the hole.I still think u can get a jack up to about 24lbs through a 8inch hole....

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2008, 07:17 PM »
we have pulled lots over 20# through 8" holes, plus a 28# and 29#, the 29# was pretty darn thick. remember a fish would have to a have nearly a 25" girth to be tight in an 8" whole.  there is only one lake that i would ever consider a 10" auger to be needed  ;), more than likely a 9" would be plenty on almost every circumstance, lake trout are a different story however, if i fished them more often i would get a 10" for sure.

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 26, 2008, 07:43 PM »
I only see 10" augers useful in lakes that produce MONSTER lake trout and MONSTER pike. 

Offline Kyle_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2008, 07:49 PM »
yup, prolly could get by with a 8"...however easier to turn a big pikes head up a 10" and also quickstrike rigs have less of a chance to get hooked on the side with the bigger hole. Agree with warren77, "i  don't want a monster on my tip up and i can't get them through the hole"
now that would suck  :tipup:  :laugh:

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 26, 2008, 09:09 PM »
we have pulled lots over 20# through 8" holes, plus a 28# and 29#, the 29# was pretty darn thick. remember a fish would have to a have nearly a 25" girth to be tight in an 8" whole.  there is only one lake that i would ever consider a 10" auger to be needed  ;), more than likely a 9" would be plenty on almost every circumstance, lake trout are a different story however, if i fished them more often i would get a 10" for sure.

It can be done Meadowpikeman(catching over a 20lb jack) with a 8" hole....Last year i caught a 16lb jack and it took me 15 mintes just to get in ....This fish was a giant football....so short but just a pig......I have personally got 20lb'ers up a 8 " hole but i'm not playing around this year....I want the 10" hole.........even in the shack u get to see a little bit more too having a bigger hole....

I once seen a 15" hole and almost got into a fist fight with this guy....Tons of kids around and a 15"hole is a bloody nightmare for kids....to each his own i guess

Offline jkw

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont Forget The Beer!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2008, 10:49 PM »
you know, a hole in the ice can be dangerous for anyone. If im goin to be fishing a successful hole for extended periods, but wont always be in the immediate area, i fill up my holes with snow to keep it open longer and take a stake with red tape on it and stick it there for a marker.
TEAM ALASKA          :bow: Pray For Ice! :icefish:

Its better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!

Offline warren77

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2008, 11:48 PM »
It happened only one time....this guy had 8-12 holes all over the place,i kinda stepped in one by fluke,rolled my ankle a bit.....then i saw how big his holes were....atleast mark the reallybig ones.....

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Oct 27, 2008, 04:05 AM »
yup, prolly could get by with a 8"...however easier to turn a big pikes head up a 10" and also quickstrike rigs have less of a chance to get hooked on the side with the bigger hole. Agree with warren77, "i  don't want a monster on my tip up and i can't get them through the hole"
now that would suck  Flag! 

kyle i think you are right on the money there.  if there is a real need for 10" holes that would be it, quick strike rigs can be a real son of a batch on the edge of a hole, way more likely to get hooked on the edge of the ice than to fill up an 8" hole.  fish get started up a 10"hole easier, even though the majority probably could be landed with a smaller whole.  I agree it can come down to one fish that you don't want to loose, i would like to own more than one size of auger as sometimes a 10" isn't really what i need for perch, splake etc.

Offline imgonnamissher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Oct 27, 2008, 09:01 AM »
i would like to own more than one size of auger as sometimes a 10" is really what i need for perch, splake etc.
Bang on the money there, That's what my plan is. I have the 8" and now the 10" to use depending what my needs are. :tipup: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.