Author Topic: Shanty Lighting???  (Read 11335 times)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
Shanty Lighting???
« on: Aug 20, 2008, 06:32 PM »
I am looking into lighting for my Fish Trap Pro. Is there anyone using their Deluxe LED Lighting System? Any alternatives??? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
Re: Shanty Lighting???
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2008, 09:19 PM »
i use a battery operated(9 volt) lantern, it works real good.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2008, 09:24 PM »
I was looking on Ebay and noticed LED lights that are 12v. You can order them long and cut them to length. I was thinking of putting a 12v battery in my big shack and hook up a solar charger so I am never out of light.

I have no idea if those lights are any good though.

Friends of mine have used the led lights from clam in their protables and that seems to work well. They just hook up a vex battery which they carry as a spare.

Offline bobb-o

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team IceAult
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2008, 11:42 PM »
I took the bases from a car's tail lights (3057 base) and bought some LED replacement bulbs off of ebay for $10. I then connected them with speaker wire, as thats all you really need for 12V. I also rigged a switch for them that sits right at chest height on the side of the house so it is easy to get to, thinking of adding a magnet to the side of it so that it always connects to the pole. I used a PVC plumbing thingy for a makeshift shade (and to protect the bulbs as i am very abusive to equipment) on each of them and epoxyed some clips on the back of them so that they hang on the poles in the ceiling of my shack. They are very bright, bright enough that i am thinging aboot making it so i can use only one at a time if i dont need that much lighting. Or I may just make another one with just one light. After i first made them i connected them to the vexilar battery so i could get an idea on the drain from the battery, after 4 consecutive days of them being on, the battery charge indicator had not gone below full. Here is what they look like:
IBOT Minister of Information

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2008, 06:53 AM »
I like making my own stuff and tinkering, thanks for the ideas/info. ;)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2008, 11:24 AM »
now thats a cool idea bobb-o.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2008, 04:57 PM »
Propane Lantern.

It makes heat and light so you kill 2 birds with one stone. With a Fish Trap Pro, the heat from a lantern will be all you need on those days in the 20F range and up. They can take a bounce pretty good if they are properly packed into their case, and the mantles are a snap to change.

The coleman northstar is a sweet unit, but the perfectflow works great too for about half the price.

I hate white gas!!! Propane is where its at!

Offline travisj88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2008, 03:43 AM »
Propane Lantern.

It makes heat and light so you kill 2 birds with one stone. With a Fish Trap Pro, the heat from a lantern will be all you need on those days in the 20F range and up. They can take a bounce pretty good if they are properly packed into their case, and the mantles are a snap to change.

The coleman northstar is a sweet unit, but the perfectflow works great too for about half the price.

I was just going to start looking into gas vs propane for a lantern for my Fish Trap Pro.  I was thinking propane would be easier and less messy.  Are the northstars as bright as the package says?
Travis

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 22, 2008, 11:00 AM »
I had a dual mantle dual fuel coleman...WORTHLESS... that thing sucked...traded it in for a single mantle northstar...puts out just as much light and man is propane the way to go...easy easy easy...lights up with the igniter! awesome.

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Aug 22, 2008, 01:20 PM »
I use a single mantel Coleman propane lantern in my portable. It is about half the size of a 1 lb bottle of propane and is very bright and very adjustable. The glass globe takes a lot of punishment and I have never had mine break and it has been tipped over a lot. I think they run about $15 at Walmart.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I was just going to start looking into gas vs propane for a lantern for my Fish Trap Pro.  I was thinking propane would be easier and less messy.  Are the northstars as bright as the package says?
Travis

Yes, much easier to light and less messy. You wont get fuel on your hands with propane either.

The northstar my friend has will put a car headlight to shame! I use the perfect flow dual mantle units, they produce a ton of light and heat. You can pick one up for around $30. Northstars start at $60

perfect flow

northstar

Make sure you price shop! ;D

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2008, 09:00 PM »
I use the rope-light LEDs from Scheels in conjunction with a LED headlamp.  The Scheels lights are reportedly a bit brighter than the Clam rope lights.  Still they provide a diffuse-type light for general purposes.  When I need more specific lighting, such as to tie a knot, I use the headlamp. 

Some like a brighter light inside the shanty, but not me.  I usually fish with a full set of tipups outside the shanty, so when I check them I don't want to stagger around on the ice for 5 minutes while my aging eyes adjust from operating-room bright to dark outside.  This is where the headlamp comes into use as well.

The rope-light LEDs work off the Vexilar battery, but I have a spare 9volt rechargeable for multiple-day excursions.  This battery/rope-light setup will last for at least 4 long nights in a row in subzero temps.  Also the extra battery is a good thing to have if the Vexilar battery ever died, which it has not.

This setup has worked for me.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2008, 09:06 AM »
I use a head mounted halogen style light inside my portable shanty. That way whatever way you turn your head you have light. it has a three way switch one is a solid  beam the other lights a wider area and the third is a red glow. Less clutter in a portable the better.  ;D

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #13 on: Aug 23, 2008, 11:28 AM »
i have a couple head lamps i use sometimes, thats a great idea eye hunter.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2008, 08:26 PM »
Propane Lantern.

Skipper convinced me! I've decided to go with the Coleman Northstar, light and heat. I'm still going to play with bobb-o's light though... ;D
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 25, 2008, 08:53 PM »
I am going down to the local electronics store tommorrow to get some LED's. I think these will work perfect for my needs.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #16 on: Aug 25, 2008, 09:00 PM »
i personally am trying to stay away from any kind of flame period. too many deaths last year. i will stick with the battery operated lantern and my headlamps. it works perfectly for my situation.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Aug 25, 2008, 09:15 PM »
True! Ventalation is key when using a lantern or a heater. Keep an openning near the top of the shanty open as the warm air will escape threw it and fresh air will come in near the bottom. If your shanty is sealed real good keep the bottom of the door open a little. Vntalation, Ventalation, Ventalation is key when using a flame in a shanty. I fish with children in a heated shanty and if I would ever hear that they are tired or they are getting a head ache I would think about oxygen first. Fortunatly I ventalate my shacks and open the doors often. There is no such thing as being to careful when it comes to heaters and lanterns.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #18 on: Aug 25, 2008, 09:21 PM »
i couldn:t agree more, i fish with my kids quite a bit and really want them to learn this way until they get a little older and really understand that its no joke and something you have to be carefull with.my kids are very smart at ages 9,10,11 but i can:t take any chances this way. there my life. always teaching them safety first.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Trooper Bri

« Reply #19 on: Aug 26, 2008, 07:47 PM »
For a smaller portable shanty like a Clam, Frabill, etc, i would go with something as simple as an Energizer 6 LED headlamp zip-tied to a roofbow for a one or 2 man size.

For larger, box shaped portables, i would track down some 12V white and red LED bar lights the kids use on their cars. Slim, easily zip tied to a roof bow, and you can run the wiring down the bow and plug into your vex battery or a dedicated battery. They're cheap, and won't interfere when setting up or folding down.

And for a hard-sided shanty, i would still use 12V automotive LED lighting. Probably a variety of spot, bar, and flood lighting in and out. With switches for all of course. What the heck, install a radio too. That's what deep-cycle batts are for. ;)

For the Red Green crowd, the overhead forward light panel in some cars make great shanty lighting. GM makes a good one that has a center light, with 2 adjustable spotlights. Plus it's flat and mounts flush with luan or plywood. Wire it up with a few switches and you're good to go.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2008, 07:38 PM »
  Trooper Bri, "For larger, box shaped portables, i would track down some 12V white and red LED bar lights the kids use on their cars." I can't be able to find a 12V white LED bar light to purchase in the USA, only China??? Do you know any availible in the USA?
  Keep America Godly...

Trooper Bri

« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:44 PM »
www.oznium.com is a good example of what i would consider if lighting a bigger shanty. Even for external lighting (cooking in the dark, etc), some of those spots look bright and efficient.

Who knows, you may even be able to find cheap car lighting at WallyWorld or Pep Boys.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:57 PM »
those would definitely work well trooper bri. nice and brite to.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #23 on: Aug 28, 2008, 05:04 AM »
Trooper Bri, thanks for the info!
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 28, 2008, 11:41 AM »
go to your nearest auto salvage yard and remove a dome light assy from any junk you like. Use cable ties to mount to overhead bow and wires to upright side of bow in portable shanty, large alligator clips or battery charger type clamps work well to clip wires to battery. Works well for me. 
P.S. the 12 V battery is always there for my electric auger.

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 06, 2008, 07:24 PM »
www.oznium.com is a good example of what i would consider if lighting a bigger shanty. Even for external lighting (cooking in the dark, etc), some of those spots look bright and efficient.

Who knows, you may even be able to find cheap car lighting at WallyWorld or Pep Boys.

Jusy got my lights in the other day. I think these will work perfectly.   Thank You Bri!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #26 on: Sep 06, 2008, 07:51 PM »
mud_n_fun, the question I have is just how bright are they?
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 06, 2008, 08:02 PM »
A single one has that blue hue but a very good light. I think in about 4-6 of them would light up a 2 man very nicely.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #28 on: Sep 06, 2008, 08:19 PM »
Bright enough to read by, tie 2lb fluorocarbon? Just wondering, some like their shanty pretty dim? I guess I like it a little brighter than most, it's easier on my old eyes...
  Keep America Godly...

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 06, 2008, 08:28 PM »
If you want it brighter, by acouple more. What is your shanty size?
I think you could mount these in a pvc tube with clips for a portable.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.