Author Topic: It's not my mess, or do I have to clean it up?  (Read 12614 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
It's not my mess, or do I have to clean it up?
« on: Aug 04, 2008, 04:35 PM »
This is not so much an ice fishing story,as the effects we have on wildlife from our fishing activity. Let's clean up our act!
Just thought I would run something I saw today by you guys.... Since I live and work on a lake, I get to get distracted alot by the wildlife. This morning on my lawn was one (only one) of those stinking lousy crap machine Canadian geese sleeping. I snuck up to it and instead of giving me the hiss off like usual, this one tried to get up and walk away. It was more like stagger away, It could hardly walk or hold it's head up straight. Made me think of pooley getting his drink on the this last week. Any way, That was one messed up drunken goose. I called encon (7 times) but no one seemed interested at all in the Goose that was cooked in Mariaville. Finally I got a call back this afternoon from wildlife and he told me that it was lead poisoning without ever looking at the bird. He said all it takes is one lead split shot to do a bird in. Since very near is a popular fishing spot, he said for sure someone spilled some lead on the shoreline. The bird must have gotten in it.
 I am Going to go out in my kayak and find the bird tonight to take it to encon tomorrow, dead or alive. The encon officer seemed to think it was a done deal at this point, and I would be dropping off a frozen bird.
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: It's not my mess, or do I have to clean it up?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 04, 2008, 04:48 PM »
your right jimmy. i pick up fishing material all the time at the launches here. garbage, rubber worms/ grubs, hook packages, and all sorts of other stuff. it makes us look like jerks. i have a unique problem, due to where i live, but just because they can't speak english, doesn't mean they can't pick up their crap. i say something when i have to, and so should everyone. i offered to show a guy from another forum where good access on the hudson is, and he repayed me by leaving garbage behind!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #2 on: Aug 04, 2008, 08:21 PM »
it makes one think, do these people live like this at home? do they just live in a dump were they feel throwing trash is alright.  these kind of people realy ruin it or us good guys.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #3 on: Aug 04, 2008, 09:16 PM »
i hate it when people do that!! you do not wana leave trash around when im in the area

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 04, 2008, 09:50 PM »
My family and I were staying at a national park this last weekend for a camping trip. We went on lots of hikes and found garbage in a lot of spots. We did our part and picked it up and it was nice seeing other campers doing the same thing.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #5 on: Aug 05, 2008, 04:49 AM »
I always pick up along my way and leave it a little better than I found it...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline UserX

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Perca Flavences!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2008, 05:57 AM »
That kinda stuff makes me mad...I live with 3 private lakes...and my favorite of the 3 I always fish...I end up cleaning up more garbage than anything..and then there I am attempting to snag bass that have HUGE rapalas on their face from some idiot fudgie who came north to fish and figures that jerking a huge rapala thru the water is going to get him some fish. :%$#!: without a doubt no one who is visiting wants to leave even a small peice of dust where I fish...it would be a bad deal.

Certified Youth Instructor for Michigan State Univ.,
Certified instructor for Project F.I.S.H..(Friends. Involved. With Sport.Fishing.Heritage .)
Take a kid fishing to keep our legacy around.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2008, 07:03 AM »
thats ashame and messed up.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 05, 2008, 07:05 AM »
hmmm ya mean just one pellet will do them in  hmmmmmmmm............. ........... >:D
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 05, 2008, 07:22 AM »
Yeah Hazmt, I am torn also... On one hand, hundreds of geese that are crappin every where.... versus It getting personal and seeing the effects of what one lead split shot has on a bird ( were not just talking geese here, but all water fowl).
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish, fish to live!! Flag Man!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 05, 2008, 07:37 AM »
At Finger Lakes Community they have pictures of birds cut open that died from lead poisoning. The pictures only should only 3 or 4 lead shotgun pellets or 2 or three BB size sinkers. They can absorb the toxin faster than they can discharge it. :( 
In these tough times remember the ones who taught you your skills, give them some of your prize!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 05, 2008, 07:49 AM »
Gee how many of you guys remember walking around with a split shot or two in your mouth when you were trout fishing from hole to hole?
 No wonder my wife says I act stupid. ( I got something to blame it on now! )

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:01 AM »
I always pick up. I would like to leave a place that my kids can have to enjoy the outdoors.  :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:02 AM »
I'll second that one. Even taking the split shot off and on with your teeth your ingesting lead. Quit that a while ago then switched to nontoxic split shot.
In these tough times remember the ones who taught you your skills, give them some of your prize!

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #14 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:02 AM »
Gee how many of you guys remember walking around with a split shot or two in your mouth when you were trout fishing from hole to hole?
never though about that!!!!!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline buffaloice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Aug 05, 2008, 08:09 AM »
There is NO excuse as to why people have to trash every spot they go to,just plain lazy.What is so hard about pack it in, pack it out.Just takes irresponsibility to the next level :%$#!:

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #16 on: Aug 05, 2008, 09:13 AM »
well as the jerks keep up with these habits, there not gonna have any places left to do this. i know in my neck of the woods, they are pretty much sick of it.they are handing out some hefty fines to those that have been getting caught. if you complain enough, stuff will get done!
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #17 on: Aug 05, 2008, 10:33 AM »
Just takes irresponsibility to the next level
Now we are hitting on something...
I point back to the thread subject  "It's not my mess, or do I have to clean it up?"
If you live (use the area) there, complaining is a side effect but not the option.
Maybe....
 Some need more incentive than just a friendly reminder or be cleaned up after. They do it cause they get away with it and no one holds them responsible.

My kids can't pick or clean up after themselves at home, unless I lean on them..... This is no different

Can't go unless you keep your room clean sounds like the same thing.... Just how do you transfer that to people to do the right thing.

And yeah, I have to clean it up, but I can ask for some help too.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #18 on: Aug 05, 2008, 10:43 AM »
i agree jimmy, i am constantly picking up after the slobs. i use to say something to the litterbugs but have gotten into a couple good ones. now if i am going, i bring a couple trash bags to fill, it keeps the problems that a litterbug would have- down to a minamem.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 06, 2008, 08:55 AM »

We still laugh about that!  Even now we'll be fishing and all of a sudden spit a split shot out.  Old habits are hard to brake.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 06, 2008, 08:59 AM »
You should leave the site better then you found it. :tipup:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #21 on: Aug 06, 2008, 09:09 AM »
By The way guys, Found the goose or what was left of it. Seems it will be making it's way up the food chain.
Not much left of it, mostly feathers.

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Aug 06, 2008, 09:40 AM »
That's how it works, to bad the higher up the chain the higher the levels of toxins that build up.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 06, 2008, 09:54 AM »
That stinks, but true the toxins will get worse.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2008, 11:52 AM »
Good thing I won't be eating coy-dog any time soon.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 06, 2008, 12:42 PM »
Good thing :icefish:
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Aug 06, 2008, 04:40 PM »
dog aint bad   had some in korea  many years ago   found out afterward    lol
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #27 on: Aug 06, 2008, 04:44 PM »
long live coy-dog. :clap:
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Got Ice?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Aug 06, 2008, 05:09 PM »
Dog is good eatin but you have to pressure cook it like bear meat. Have buddy in Alaska had to live on it for a couple weeks when got stranded on the trap line. Think they at dog on the race to the North Pole maybe it was the South Pole.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #29 on: Aug 06, 2008, 08:14 PM »
now black bear is some good tasteing meat. i made stew, chilly, and meatballs that were awesome.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.