The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: All new auger powerhead question...  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
All new auger powerhead question...
« on: Jan 21, 2004, 01:32 PM »
Hi.  This one may be interesting.  The Jiffy starts right up and idles great.  When she gets half-way through the hole, she quits cold turkey.  And will not start for awhile...  I was thinking maybe the carb needs a good cleaning, as I checked the fuel line and it looks good, no blockege.  Just wondering what the motorheads think...Thanks
Mike  
have a CRAPPIE day!!

fishmann

Re:All new auger powerhead question...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2004, 02:31 PM »
Does it still have spark at the plug after it quits?

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2004, 02:40 PM »
Sounds like vaporlock, to check it out, after you start it, loosen the cap a bit, if it keeps running then your problem is either the vent holes are plugged or you have a bad gasket in the cap.
FTD

iceman04

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2004, 03:58 PM »
i'll put my vote with fulltmedad . . . i actually had a snowmobile that would vapor lock on me all the time!!  :-X  always had to pull the plug give her a few pulls . . . put the plug back in and she would fire right back up ........ we eventually tweaked with some things on the inside but that was a temporary solution . . . try it out

Offline trapperjon

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hard Water-Happy
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:14 PM »
Cook, If the unit is new to you then I agree with full time dad, almost all jiffy owners I know stand the unit upright, then open the vent screw 1 turn on the gas cap then start and drill. However if you've had the unit awhile and it has'nt given you any trouble, check the spark like fishman said, make sure you are ready to ck. spark right away after it quits. (could be a bad or overheating coil).
Also make sure your blades are sharp if you need to push down on the auger to make it cut that's needless wear on the motor and may cause part of the symptom you describe.   Let us Know how you make out! trapper
40 yrs. And still on an ice fishin' mission!

Offline Cook078

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good Fishing
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2004, 04:34 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, I will try again tomorrow and check the cap, and the spark...
Thanks again,
Mike

Oh Yeah, The auger is about 4 years old.  I know now that my original post subject area could be misleading, its a new question not a new auger...Mike
have a CRAPPIE day!!

pa ice man

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2004, 06:43 PM »
its the dira fram or netle or seat  its not geting full dose it have spark if it has spark take botem of carb off 4  screws cnd clean and put a new dia fram on about 6 bucks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.