The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Icegator's season in review  (Read 2346 times)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Icegator's season in review
« on: Apr 03, 2008, 04:42 AM »
Well , it was another great year to icefish in Maine . as most of you may or may not already know it was my first season with my icegator. Maine being kind of an "in the middle" Ice state, we had pretty good conditions to Test this auger drive and see if it lives up to its claims!

Did it Ever. I used this auger drive along with a Nils Master 8" bit and was delighted. I cut an average of 20 holes per outing without any signs of it ever slowing down...sometimes more and sometimes less but 20 was a good average. the only time i ever actually ran this auger down was when i first got it and wanted to see how many holes it would cut. with the 9 ah batteris i cut 76 holes at moosehead lake through 20+" of ice, over a peiod of three days. when it started to slow down i charged it so i could have got more but didnt want to push it. these were the worse conditions i fished in all year with below zero temps and sideways snow!

for the fist few trips i carried the spare batteries and the handle to my nils just in case , but it didnt take long before i gained trust in my Icegator and stopped toting the extra baggage

boiling it all down , ill spare yo the details but with a foot of ice , and the 9ah batteries i can drill  over a hundred holes and just over 200 with the 12 ah batteries. Once the ice thickened to 2' i was looking at 60 holes with the 9's and 100 or so with the 12,s.

funny thing since i bought this icegator anyone who fishes with me or around me seems to pull the rope out of their gas auger. folks this is not necessary...if ya want to try my icegator , just ask  ;)

if you want to witness my absolute favorite thing about this Icegator , just take a whiff of Fshnfools jet sled now known as the Exxon valdez II !! Gas stinks!!

I will give this tool the Billditrite Seal of approval, it has done everything they said it would, and everything i hoped it would. cant wait til next year...i bet ill see more of them out there...it sure did get a lot of attention out there!

Offline Corso

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Icegator's season in review
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2008, 04:52 AM »
Scott...Ive read nothing but GOOD things about the Icegator!
My jiffy 76 wouldnt start the first morning of the EGrand Derby...had to invest in the STX($475)..as I didnt have time to order an Icegator...it runs great and all that...but I really wanted a gator..now I have to wait another 15yrs to purchase one  :-\
was an Unusually off yr for me..as I didnt get out a fraction as much as I normally do..next yr..im going to go back to working less..and fishing MORE  ;D

Offline Big_Ray

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice fishing rules
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2008, 06:15 AM »
Glad to hear you like your new toy Scott, my jiffy has yet to fail me, (knock on wood!!!)so I`ll stick with that for the time being ;D... At least that is, until I can`t afford to put gas in it any longer  :embarassed: :%$#!: :%$#!:Plus I just picked up a new marcum vx-1 so my new toy fund has a  hole that needs filling!!! :( I would like to see in action though, maybe next year...
Ray

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2008, 06:17 AM »
I've asked this before, but has anyone tried a 10" auger on it.  I know it's not recommended but if it will turn a 10" I may be interested.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2008, 06:20 AM »
well i have never tried it...however ,  if i didnt care what they said ,and wasnt worried about damaging the unit...i know it will turn it. it will kill the batteries much quicker. It will heat the motor up much faster. it might damage the shaft bearing since it is not designed for that much torque.     It WILL cut a hole

Offline Yukon Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chillin' Out!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2008, 07:33 AM »
Got to see it in action at Horne this year and was amazed. I will have one for next season ;) Thanks for the Demo and the year end review Scott :thumbsup:
Steve

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2008, 07:55 AM »
I be getting one for next season :tipup:

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2008, 08:12 AM »
Scott, what is the weight of this unit??

Offline fshnfool

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Apr 03, 2008, 08:53 AM »
what is the weight of this unit??

it's about the same weight as a regular gas auger Jim

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2008, 10:37 AM »
I also have to agree with Scott on the ice gator   the best ice fishing tool made to date   no gas nof fuss  no problems  I buried the icegator to the max extent of the auger  and it kept on going  and was only using the 9 ah batteries   saved the 12 ah batteries for the kids dvd player!    Icegator rules!   (hey  wheres my hat)   lol    at 32 below  sounded bad  but once warmed it worked fine I am so happy I took the chance last summer and the customer service has been fantastic
John
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Thanks!

it's about the same weight as a regular gas auger Jim

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2008, 12:39 PM »
Iat 32 below  sounded bad  but once warmed it worked fine I am so happy I took the chance last summer and the customer service has been fantastic
John

John

Why did you need to use customer service?

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline chief10point

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2008, 02:19 PM »
what is the price of one of these and what does that enclude ?
born to fish forced to work 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2008, 02:27 PM »
John

Why did you need to use customer service?

was looking about getting an extention for it

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2008, 02:49 PM »
That's what my Bush Rebate is going to. I kind a hate to pake my old pal Jiffy30, but with the price of gas I can squeeze the fish up though a smaller hole. Who knows, maybe they'll like it.
Steve

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Apr 03, 2008, 05:25 PM »
what is the price of one of these and what does that enclude ?

here is a link to there site. I got the 8" drive with the nils adaptor and an extra set of batteries. if ya buy a quality hand auger bit like a nils or a mora for it ,it would be close to  $500

Icegator product list

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #16 on: Apr 03, 2008, 07:02 PM »
I also was extremly impressed with the Icegator. I can't wait to get some also.  :P
  The Green Machine as billitrite put it.  :thumbsup:
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline nitro04106

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Apr 03, 2008, 10:14 PM »
hum ice gator or vexilar......... or both just got income tax check......... my freind has a lazer auger used 10 times for 100 bucks......... decisions decisions........ i need to get me some more ice toys for next year cause the kids getting a bit older and i`ll have more time on the ice........what do you guys think i should get i have about 800 to spend or so ...... gator and vex are looking mighty sweet, might just skip the cheap new auger for the eco friendly gator and vex just waiting for cabela`s to open.......... ::)

Offline chief10point

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2008, 09:36 AM »
go big or stay home ;D
born to fish forced to work 

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2008, 02:34 PM »
I bought both new this year  and dont regret it at all!

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #20 on: Apr 04, 2008, 02:43 PM »
I've asked this before, but has anyone tried a 10" auger on it.  I know it's not recommended but if it will turn a 10" I may be interested.
I'm with you there. When they come out with a unit that will handle a 10" bit. I'll look closer. Godd to hear you enjoy it though.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline Yukon Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chillin' Out!!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 06, 2008, 08:54 AM »
I also was extremly impressed with the Icegator. I can't wait to get some also.  :P
  The Green Machine as billitrite put it.  :thumbsup:
Are you gonna sell them at your place???? If so let me know because I will own one for next season ;)
Steve

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Apr 06, 2008, 01:54 PM »
Well , it was another great year to icefish in Maine . as most of you may or may not already know it was my first season with my icegator. Maine being kind of an "in the middle" Ice state, we had pretty good conditions to Test this auger drive and see if it lives up to its claims!

Did it Ever. I used this auger drive along with a Nils Master 8" bit and was delighted. I cut an average of 20 holes per outing without any signs of it ever slowing down...sometimes more and sometimes less but 20 was a good average. the only time i ever actually ran this auger down was when i first got it and wanted to see how many holes it would cut. with the 9 ah batteris i cut 76 holes at moosehead lake through 20+" of ice, over a peiod of three days. when it started to slow down i charged it so i could have got more but didnt want to push it. these were the worse conditions i fished in all year with below zero temps and sideways snow!

for the fist few trips i carried the spare batteries and the handle to my nils just in case , but it didnt take long before i gained trust in my Icegator and stopped toting the extra baggage

boiling it all down , ill spare yo the details but with a foot of ice , and the 9ah batteries i can drill  over a hundred holes and just over 200 with the 12 ah batteries. Once the ice thickened to 2' i was looking at 60 holes with the 9's and 100 or so with the 12,s.

funny thing since i bought this icegator anyone who fishes with me or around me seems to pull the rope out of their gas auger. folks this is not necessary...if ya want to try my icegator , just ask  ;)

if you want to witness my absolute favorite thing about this Icegator , just take a whiff of Fshnfools jet sled now known as the Exxon valdez II !! Gas stinks!!

I will give this tool the Billditrite Seal of approval, it has done everything they said it would, and everything i hoped it would. cant wait til next year...i bet ill see more of them out there...it sure did get a lot of attention out there!

WELL IM NOT THE MOST ORGANIZED ICE FISHERMAN IN THE AREA BUT I AM A DIE HARD I GO QUITE FREQUENTLY AS MYWORK IS SLOW IN WINTER  I SOMTIMES FORGET THE GAS OR FORGET TO FILL THE AUGER ALL TOGETHER,THEN IF I REMEMBER IT ALL I USUALLY SPILL GAS ALL OVER MY TRAPS AND GEAR ,AFTER ALL YOUR GOOD REVIWS +POSTS ABOUT ICE GATER I THINK ILL GT ONE,  ANY SUGGESTIONS BILLDITRITE FOR A SIZE AND TYPE ETC

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.