The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Statment from warden service(besafe this weekend)  (Read 784 times)

Offline sticks

• Team IceShanty Addict
Statment from warden service(besafe this weekend)
« on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:06 PM »
with the end of ice fishing just a few days away the warden service posted the following statment.  Stay safe and good luck this weekend. notice what I highlighted in red too.

AUGUSTA – The Maine Warden Service is urging people to use caution when venturing out onto the ice this weekend for the completion of ice fishing season.
Also, ice anglers are asked to not throw out their 2007-2008 Ice Fishing law book. The book will remain in effect next year. People will be notified of any changes by press releases and on the DIF&W Web site.
As Ice Fishing Season ends this weekend, Maine’s lakes and ponds are thawing throughout the state. It still looks like winter, but ice that appears to be thick and sturdy may not be at all because of the way the ice formed in December and January, according to Acting Colonel Gregory Sanborn of the Maine Warden Service.

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
Re: Statment from warden service(besafe this weekend)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:09 PM »
with the end of ice fishing just a few days away the warden service posted the following statment.  Stay safe and good luck this weekend. notice what I highlighted in red too.

AUGUSTA – The Maine Warden Service is urging people to use caution when venturing out onto the ice this weekend for the completion of ice fishing season.
Also, ice anglers are asked to not throw out their 2007-2008 Ice Fishing law book. The book will remain in effect next year. People will be notified of any changes by press releases and on the DIF&W Web site.
As Ice Fishing Season ends this weekend, Maine’s lakes and ponds are thawing throughout the state. It still looks like winter, but ice that appears to be thick and sturdy may not be at all because of the way the ice formed in December and January, according to Acting Colonel Gregory Sanborn of the Maine Warden Service.

We could still fish most ponds safely for another 3 to 4 weeks. What a joke that warden service is. ;D ;D ;D  Way to scare fisherman off the ice. >:( >:(

Offline dadstacklebox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice it!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2008, 08:26 PM »
He's not far off! I got a report from a lake in Oxford county, of 20"s of Grain type ice and 2-3"s of clear ice, and water running under the ice.  :-\
fire and ice go together like hate and love!
        Extreme Outdoors

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2008, 02:04 AM »
He's not far off! I got a report from a lake in Oxford county, of 20"s of Grain type ice and 2-3"s of clear ice, and water running under the ice.  :-\
The ice has changed rapidly this week, some places I thought would be safe for a while on Sat Im not so sure about now!  Never hurts to be careful!
Lindy

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2008, 04:27 AM »
I think the snow has made it so one has to be very carful as a lot of our visual aids are now covered over.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2008, 07:01 AM »
have them check the ice up here  lol  a joke as usual
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline cliffdog54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2008, 11:50 AM »
one never knows when snow covered how much has been eaten away undernieth until it's too late,i'm a chicken s*** when it comes to late in the season, i'm always listening for that first telltale crack. good luck to all

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Branch Lake was safe today with 20" of chunky ice and 5" of hard ice. It won't take much warm weather to make it unsafe. I was using a nine inch auger and the top part of the hole was 12" by the time I was done drilling. There seem to be a 3/4 inch of hard ice on the top. Today was my last day of the season.
Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.