Author Topic: Landing large fish  (Read 1559 times)

no_dope

Landing large fish
« on: Jan 20, 2004, 08:34 PM »
I have a hut with a 1' x 4' square hole in the floor and I usually use my gas auger to "overlap 4 or 5 10" holes to give me 1 big one, rather than a bunch of separate holes. Does this make it harder to land big fish? I lost 2 huge Walleyes at the hole on the weekend i think maybe because they have too much room to trash around. Should I drill each hol separate or is there a technique to landing them when they are large. ???

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
Re:Landing large fish
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2004, 11:51 PM »
You could gaff 'em. Or, sometimes I even think a net would come in handy. If the hole is big enough. Why not? I mean you use one in a boat.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

FIFTYLAKER

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:14 AM »
One thing nice about the single hole is once you have the Walleyes head in it and coming up it's a done deal. I had some nice ones in the hole and the jig has popped off and they just sit there looking at ya waiting to get scooped up!!

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:26 AM »
i've seen anglers using the overlap hole you describe. i think a lightly hooked fish has more room to flipflop around and throw the hook. i agree with FIFTYLAKER. once you have the head up the hole, its a done deal. i would go with the one hole. grumpymoe

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:41 AM »
Walleyes are famous for throwing the hook at the hole. But since they can't swim backwards use the single hole ,get the head started up, and use a gaff!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

acsacmboy

« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:22 PM »
or your hand.

i agree a single hole would work better

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:33 PM »
In Mn that would be illegal I believe the biggest hole a person can fish through here is 10 in.  I would also agree that one hole would be better.  

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2004, 09:38 PM »
I don't fish for walleyes, but when we get a nice burbot on if its not hooked well we loose them right uner the ice while we are trying to turn them.  having that trench hole, i would have caught alot of the ones i lost, less monkying with the head getting through, and less chance to cut off under the ice.  So i would say you'll loose fish either way, do what you like to do best.  I would like to trench them personally when there are bigger fish and there is a chance of getting one to big to fit.  Also its exciting when you see the fish fighting below you.... my two cents

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2004, 09:49 AM »
Use one 10" hole and take a spud and chip the ice around the bottom and then on top spud a trench on a 45 to slide the fish out once you start it up the hole. The trench only has to go part way down the hole.
This is how we do it on Saginaw bay Michigan for the big walleyes, and it works great. By the way we are geting them about 4mi out, Ice is about 3 to 4".
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.