Author Topic: Ice Shack Ideas  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Bigmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Shack Ideas
« on: Mar 03, 2008, 02:36 PM »
Looking for Advice: I want to build an 8 x 10 ice shack for next season. I am looking for wall material ideas. I want something as light as possible but yet strong and somewhat air tight. I have considered fiberglass; but am unsure if that would work well. Does anyone have any great ideas.

Ultimately I am building a shack to camp out in on the lake during the winter.

Thanks

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
Re: Ice Shack Ideas
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2008, 02:38 PM »

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2008, 03:43 PM »
we built a 8x8 using 1/4 luan sheething for the walls. framed out with 2x2's we camp out in it, using those folding camp cots.. and wood stove for heat.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:13 PM »
SWEET!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline rileyross

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "damn i forgot the bait"
« Reply #4 on: Mar 03, 2008, 06:14 PM »
we built a 8x8 using 1/4 luan sheething for the walls. framed out with 2x2's we camp out in it, using those folding camp cots.. and wood stove for heat.

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
i like your set up
"Just thinkin about jiggin"

Offline Bigmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing pictures of your shack. I like you set up. I currently have a two piece shack 10 x 12 which is its 10th season on central Maine waters. This summer my goal is to rebuilt it.

What do you use to runners under your shack?

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:42 PM »
they are 2X6 on edge...  not the greatest, after 4 seasons with it I wish I would have made them with 2X12's because if we get 3 inches of snow it is a 8x8 plow.......  >:(
so if there is any snow we just haul it out on the trailer..

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #7 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:46 PM »
thats one awesome shack mainedukblaster
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline pan-fisher-man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:47 PM »
bad a$$ unit you got there :o ;D
-------   --------
          /
         / FISH THE HARD STUFF
        /
   ><>

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 03, 2008, 07:48 PM »
you guyz wanna see more pics? 

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:05 PM »
here are a few more,,  I didn't realize I really don't have much of the interior!  :-\

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:08 PM »
hell , if i had that shack, i wouldn:t go home.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:13 PM »
yeah im pretty sure id just live in that thing all winter... commute to work from it in the morning... that is if i went to work
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #13 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:15 PM »
couldn:t of said it any better poorcollegeboy.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:18 PM »
there has been upgrades since we built it, a way better more efficient barrel wood stove that can take 20" logs  :o , built shelves to get the food stores full,
here is a picture of the stove that was built by fellow shanty member MAINEDUCKHUNTER's dad he is a master welder and build the stove out of old pipe parts. and scrap metal,  complete with a cooktop  ;D   heavy but awesome :thumbsup:

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #15 on: Mar 03, 2008, 08:26 PM »
wow that is awesome.looks like just the perfect size!! :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:54 PM »
You are living large man.

icewagon

« Reply #17 on: Mar 04, 2008, 07:10 PM »
I want my coffin to look just like that, only I want it for 20 years or so before I die . :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #18 on: Mar 04, 2008, 08:53 PM »
Looking for Advice: I want to build an 8 x 10 ice shack for next season. I am looking for wall material ideas. I want something as light as possible but yet strong and somewhat air tight. I have considered fiberglass; but am unsure if that would work well. Does anyone have any great ideas.

Thanks

My 6 1/2' x 12' has the outside built from the same gel coated fiberglass that utility bodies for trucks (telephone service trucks) are made from. It is very easy to keep clean. The inside is paneled with FRP panels which are waterproof and very easy to clean. The FRP panels are kind of spendy, but never deteriorate from moisture.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2008, 09:34 PM »

Thanks

I have seen lots of ice shacks made with cores from metal insulated doors.  The metal is aluminum.  The cores come from the fact that most doors for homes have windows so you can get a bunch of cores about 4 to 5 feet long and about 24 inches wide.  All you need to do is to hold them together with small metal screws. 

I wouldn't build a large icefishing shack with this stuff but I have seen lots of tiny portable shacks about 4 X 6 that were built with this stuff.  They are very warm and very light.  For support, you can slip a 2X3 between the cores before drilling in the metal screws.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2008, 08:39 AM »
There are some really nice shantys posted on here but there is one thing I have never seen used yet, port-a-potty walls. I've often thought that if I would build one, that is what I would use. Their all plastic so they would be strong, water proof, and  lite in weight.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Here is the building process of the BIG RED SHACK..."THE CAMP".....

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2008, 11:07 AM »
You guys make me so JEALOUS!!!  We're not allowed to put shantys on our lakes down here in Southern NY, so seeing your beautiful home-made shacks just drives me nuts!  I'd give just about anything to be able to camp out overnight on the ice.  In fact, on most of the reservoirs here, you're not even supposed to be out there after dark.  NYC reservoirs rules are kind of strict after 911.  Access to "lakes" is kind of limited also as most of them locally are private.  So, I guess I'll just have to live & fish "vicariously" through you lucky guys!!

I'd still love to see pics of other shantys, especially interiior shots!  Just so I can eat my heart out...LOL!

IceBalls

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2008, 11:16 AM »
You guys make me so JEALOUS!!!  We're not allowed to put shantys on our lakes down here in Southern NY, so seeing your beautiful home-made shacks just drives me nuts!  I'd give just about anything to be able to camp out overnight on the ice.  In fact, on most of the reservoirs here, you're not even supposed to be out there after dark.  NYC reservoirs rules are kind of strict after 911.  Access to "lakes" is kind of limited also as most of them locally are private.  So, I guess I'll just have to live & fish "vicariously" through you lucky guys!!

I'd still love to see pics of other shantys, especially interiior shots!  Just so I can eat my heart out...LOL!

IceBalls
Come on up....we'll take you out...you can use the shack for a weekend.....

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2008, 04:01 PM »
Here is a great tip...Never leave beer in your shack when your not around. I know plenty of people who wouldnt think twice about stealing it, unless you get a tough lock.

Offline robotman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2008, 05:39 PM »
y cant u do that in syracuse we can
its a big one!! its a big one!! s*** the line broke!

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:35 PM »

IceBalls

Hi IceBalls.
I did not know about all those rules in your part of New York state.  Here in Quebec, icefishing is popular and icefishing shacks are found everywhere, if there is an open fishing season on that body of water.

In my region, there is the Saguenay river.  In the deeper parts, it's salt water where we fish for cod, lingcod, ocean perch, halibut, flounder etc.  In the shallow parts, we fish for smelt and sometimes brook trout.  Fishing shacks are installed around Xmas time and are removed around mid march to the end of march.  As you can well imagine, there are some real fancy shacks and people do spend 3 months in their shacks.  It's their winter time cottage.  It's common to see people BBQuing steaks on their little porches with the big screen colour t.v. with satellite reception is running in the shack that looks like a miniature house with pvc siding etc.  The electricity comes from a 3000 watt generator and heating is usually an oil stove.  The average size of the fishing shack is 12 X 16 but there are larger ones.  Some people use a mobile home.  All the fishing villages, which can be as many as 2000 shacks, have plowed roads.  However, there are thousands of other shacks scattered outside of the villages and acces is via snowmobile or on foot.

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:46 PM »
Hi IceBalls.
I did not know about all those rules in your part of New York state.  Here in Quebec, icefishing is popular and icefishing shacks are found everywhere, if there is an open fishing season on that body of water.

In my region, there is the Saguenay river.  In the deeper parts, it's salt water where we fish for cod, lingcod, ocean perch, halibut, flounder etc.  In the shallow parts, we fish for smelt and sometimes brook trout.  Fishing shacks are installed around Xmas time and are removed around mid march to the end of march.  As you can well imagine, there are some real fancy shacks and people do spend 3 months in their shacks.  It's their winter time cottage.  It's common to see people BBQuing steaks on their little porches with the big screen colour t.v. with satellite reception is running in the shack that looks like a miniature house with pvc siding etc.  The electricity comes from a 3000 watt generator and heating is usually an oil stove.  The average size of the fishing shack is 12 X 16 but there are larger ones.  Some people use a mobile home.  All the fishing villages, which can be as many as 2000 shacks, have plowed roads.  However, there are thousands of other shacks scattered outside of the villages and acces is via snowmobile or on foot.
  SO there really is a Heaven.... :angel

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:52 PM »
  SO there really is a Heaven.... :angel

There is....but to give you an idea, it's -15 C here right now and that is considered decent temperature.  It's often -20 during the day and much colder at night.  Fishing without even a bit of protection from the wind is rough.

Softwater fishing on the lakes is not possible before the 2nd week of may.

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #29 on: Mar 05, 2008, 07:59 PM »
Cheese & Rice!!!!!!! thats cold !!! quess that would require an extension on my HAND auger!!! :laugh:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.