Author Topic: Modifying Shappell 3000dx  (Read 1463 times)

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
Modifying Shappell 3000dx
« on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:14 PM »
Sometimes i am a little slow brained so i am in need of advice. I was wondering if anyone has modified there Shappell 3000dx so it wont blow away in the strong winds.
Opening day mine went across the lake because i didnt get it tied down before i set it up. I was wondering about drilling pilot holes and inserting some type of hook under the 4 corners and tying ropes off to anchors in the ice. Does anyone have any advice?

Offline Bobberstop

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Have Ice Will Fish R.I.P. TH10 3/20/09
Re:Modifying Shappell 3000dx
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2004, 05:46 PM »
SMELTSHACK go to the hardware store and buy a set of 5 inch hinges square on one end with 3 holes to screw into wood,put the 2 square ends together and bolt top and bottom holes together. On a grinder grind the long ends to a sharp point. put a 3 foot piece of parachute cord thru the center hole and tie a knot. Tie the other end to a corner pole of shanty. Before you start to set up shanty drill a hole part way thru ice and put hinge in hole square end down and pull rope to dig the ends of hinge into ice  Slide shanty to tighten rope to keep tension on hinge and set up shanty and catch a bunch. This is my idea that cost me $4.00 and 10 minutes work and it works great. I hope this helps you out. Bobberstop
Bobberstop

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:48 PM »
bobber sweet your idea is great as just chased my tent again today but thanks to you for the last time. ;D
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

P Gottshall

« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:22 PM »

Offline wisicefishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2004, 06:01 PM »
I have used a piece of 2x2 about 14" long w/a hole drilled in the center w/ a rope in it.  You just drill another hole outside your shack and put the 2x2 in the hole and it acts like a toggle, Then just tie he other end to the shack.  You could also use a scissor (sp) jackin a hole too.  I've also have seen peopl tie it to their truck or ATV. Just my 2 pennies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.