Author Topic: Arrest made for child endangerment  (Read 10874 times)

Offline adkbrookie

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Arrest made for child endangerment
« Reply #30 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:28 PM »
think about how many times you hear someone say that the ice isn't safe because people are planking on. another case of those who don't know what they are talking about.
"If fishing is interfering with your business, give up your business."  - Sparse Grey Hackle

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but instead of loneliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness and a quiet exultation." - Ed Abbey

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:33 PM »
i hope everything works out for your friend mooter! i'm sure it will be dismisted in court cause look how many people take there kids fishin on the ice and had never had any problems with this sort of thing!

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #32 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Me too.  He's a great guy with some really cool kids.

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:58 PM »
wow, i'd feel really bad for him if he got a super ignorant judge at trial too. I'd press charges on the cop for a wrongful arrest. Since when can you not take kids out on any sort of ice that can be measured in feet?
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline vivlamored

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2008, 03:01 PM »
Talk to a buddy of mine fishing on the Yellowstone River by Forsyth MT this morning.  Turns out he got arrested yesterday afternoon for fishing with his kids on the ice right down from the diversion dam off the island.  The ice was 3 foot thick and they said his kids were in danger.  His father bailed him out of the clink last night.  Is this retarded?
probably a devorced guy that had vivitation for the weeken and the x is a pia

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 22, 2008, 03:34 PM »
Awesome fam and cool kids.  Yes he has them back  :cookoo:.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #36 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:05 PM »
is that normal flow for that section of river or is that high water? I'm way over here in maine but IF I feel the ice is safe for my kids , and there is no law against it , someone would be  speaking to my attorney  >:(

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:12 PM »
Looks like spring to me ???

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:17 PM »
Here is a pic of that spot on the river in the summer. I cannot, for the life of me, see why I would take my daughter here to ice fish. There is absolutely no way there can be safe predictable ice here.
(Image removed from quote.)

And the island.
(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like you took the photo due to the high water that is floding out fresh green trees. This is a bad illusion to use to demonstrate your point. I bet the winter water levels are much much lower. Ice would be unable to form on this artificially high river that is above crest stage. Tsk Tsk.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:43 PM »
Can you say weather this is an unusually heavy flow or normal??? I question the validity of the photo as an example of water levels. I am wrong alot, but that is not the issue, the water levels you posted are, so can you address that????

Offline Poopdeck Pappy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:46 PM »
Perhaps, just perhaps there is more to the incident than we know.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:48 PM »
That could be very true, don't know for sure. But if the pix are hyped, that is unfair to the arrested fellow to portray the river as a flood stage water he was fishing. That is why I was asking clarification.

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:57 PM »
this is rediculous that cop had to have been wih peta. He should loose his job!!!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Not sure what Mod you made, unless you mean adding Jays post?? The water level I am sure everyone is wondering about concerns the pix you posted. I agree that in winter Ice Jams can occur creating unsafe conditions, but that would be obvious before venturing out, and should be visible while out giving one plenty of time to leave the ice safely???

So is the pix you posted normal flow, or near flood stage???  :-\

Offline -ADKIceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get Some....
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:24 PM »
my wife is a supervisor for child protective for the county and just shook her head reading that.... how retarded....
--------------------
Rob K out!

15lb. mono leader for me!

"Its all in how you wiggle your worm!"

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2008, 05:33 PM »
I too would rather hear he was arrested than hear the child drowned for sure!! Thanks for the clarification, have a good weekend and get out on the ice somewhere before it is gone for the year!!

RL

Offline mr.mack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:25 PM »
Talk to a buddy of mine fishing on the Yellowstone River by Forsyth MT this morning.  Turns out he got arrested yesterday afternoon for fishing with his kids on the ice right down from the diversion dam off the island.  The ice was 3 foot thick and they said his kids were in danger.  His father bailed him out of the clink last night.  Is this retarded?

I dont wish ill fate on any body but this cop needs to shoot him self in the foot!!!!
<

Offline purduebass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:38 PM »
Whatpole, since you are close to the river can you go snap a pic so we can see what the ice looks like now?  I'm curious what the current water level is and how the ice looks.  I'm only saying this because I live in Indiana and barely get safe ice on the lakes.  I have never seen anyone fish a river here.  I'm trying to get an accurate picture of the situation before I put in my two cents.
BOILER UP!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline fishinfool96

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh yeah!!!
« Reply #48 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:48 PM »
i could see that happening in ma. but mt?  that cop gotta go !
Exactly, there are bad cops out there. And the worst thing is that cops aren't liable for their actions. Worst that can happen is they lose their jobs. That ain't right!

Offline vticefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • people think im crazy getting up at 4AM to fish
« Reply #49 on: Feb 22, 2008, 10:59 PM »
dont want to make it sound like im talking smack, but wouldnt you think that if he thought the ice unsafe for his kids, he wouldnt go on it?  if there's no law against fishing the river, than he should get the bail money back, and the cop should be repramanded.  that is so stupid, just let them fish.  and if it was blocks, wouldnt it be hard to drill through? ???   thats just garbage what that cop did.  way to make kids uninterested and scared to go icefishing.  wow, i cant get over this!
get out there and fish...or hunt

Offline Greenz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 22, 2008, 11:28 PM »
Thats just crazy!!!!!
Fishing, Flyfishing and Bowhunting!!
Not here for a long time just a good time!!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2008, 01:14 AM »
Such a reaction to law enforcement! How many of you have ever been really hasseled for doing nothing wrong? But if an injustice has been done, aren't there enough of you to voice your opinion to the court system where this man lives. Power in numbers.

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #52 on: Feb 23, 2008, 02:02 AM »
Hey I'm a cop and it all depends on the situation.  You guys may not beleive me but certain things are arrestable under MASS. General Law.

Police are held under the state standard to enforce specific laws.

Doesn't matter if we the law is right and trust me this sucks!!!!

I Beleive a lot of men about certain things and I tell them , Hey I Have  A Job To Do , most are fine and know me. Just remember statues of your state or commonwealth demand arrest. We have to act.

Keith

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 23, 2008, 05:23 AM »
In Montana there is no laws against being on the river ice.Forsyth is about 45 miles to the west of Miles city and it would be unfair to take pics of the ice here and then form an opinion of what the ice in Forsyth would be.Maby Mooter could get in touch with His friend and have Him take some pics, of the same exact location and then get them posted here for all to see.
I have fished on the Yellowstone a lot during the cold weather when I was young and never had any problems but being raised on this river allowed Me through out time to learn to read the ice as I moved along.I did some fishing on the river this winter and did`nt catch any thing so pulled in My setlines but I do plan on doing some more fishing on the river yet this winter and will change the places I fish and also water depths and will maby haul in some nice walleyes. :) I would never take My Grandaughter out on this ice as it would be too much to watch Her and keep the concentration of the ice conditions as I move from set to set.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline fiddlehead322

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Night time is the right time!
« Reply #54 on: Feb 23, 2008, 05:37 AM »
Did this officer go out on the ice to make the arrest? He would have had to if the guy out there was me! REDICULOUS!  I can't believe the arguing this thread has produced! GROW UP ALREADY!
Looking forward to some "crappie" nights!

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 23, 2008, 08:19 AM »
Ya, I thought about getting some pics here in Miles City, and I will in the morning. I drove by the river after work, and there are numerous open spots on the river.The only problem I have is there are still going to be the people who know absolutely nothing about what they are talking about ::), still bash the cop (not that I am saying the cop is in the right), and miss the point of how dangerous and unpredictable this river is. So I figured, what's the use of getting the pics.

I guess the problem I am having, is if he would of lost one of his children to the river, all the hypocrits on here would be bashing the man for not watching out for his kids, instead let's bash the cop for the man not losing his child. I still stand my ground, that cop may have saved one of his children's lives. I am not agreeing with the man being arrested, but the man chose a poor place to take his children fishing.
Ditto.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Feb 23, 2008, 12:21 PM »
In Montana there is no laws against being on the river ice.Forsyth is about 45 miles to the west of Miles city and it would be unfair to take pics of the ice here and then form an opinion of what the ice in Forsyth would be.Maby Mooter could get in touch with His friend and have Him take some pics, of the same exact location and then get them posted here for all to see.
I have fished on the Yellowstone a lot during the cold weather when I was young and never had any problems but being raised on this river allowed Me through out time to learn to read the ice as I moved along.I did some fishing on the river this winter and did`nt catch any thing so pulled in My setlines but I do plan on doing some more fishing on the river yet this winter and will change the places I fish and also water depths and will maby haul in some nice walleyes. :) I would never take My Grandaughter out on this ice as it would be too much to watch Her and keep the concentration of the ice conditions as I move from set to set.
The spot I was fishing in was a large swirl created from a curve in the river dike Where I knew the main channel currents had no eroding affects on the ice.1/2 mile below where I was fishing is the bridge crossing the river on state highway 59 north and below this is a place where ice has been jamming and last time I checked the ice had jammed several miles so it was chunks of ice just below where I was fishing.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 23, 2008, 03:44 PM »
no one should be ice fishing a major river like that, very unpredictable, I don't by the 3 feet of ice, what did he use to drill threw it? not a hand auger, I think the cop did a good job, how would you all feel  if we just heard the worst, the kids took one step and went under. the guy can risk his own life. I think it was very stupid, every year, come march around here, someone has to get in there last outing, and then it ends up really being there last, you here he was an experienced ice fisherman, sometimes you wonder.
not with chances like that,so like whatpole said, the cop may have prevented a tragedy, maybe the charges were unfair

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #58 on: Feb 23, 2008, 03:53 PM »
IMHO no children should be on the ice in the above pics.  :-\

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #59 on: Feb 23, 2008, 04:03 PM »