Author Topic: Apology for Mason-Dixon Ice Team Avatar  (Read 5480 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Apology for Mason-Dixon Ice Team Avatar
« on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:04 AM »
Apparently someone was offended by my avatar.  My reference to Old Glory and the Stars and Bars was merely a description of the Mason-Dixon line and the fact that MD and PA share that border.  It has nothing to do with choosing sides on the Civil War or supporting any cause of the South.  I certainly don't want to hurt anyone's feelings and want all to feel welcome on this site.  The name will remain the same, but the logo will change.  I'm working on a new design that I think everyone would like.

To the people who were offended by the initial picture, please accept my apology.  My intentions were never to cause any racial tension, and if they would care to fish with me I would be happy to spend my time with them on the ice.  People who know me could attest to this as well.  Again, I apologize to anyone that I offended.

Thank you.
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re:Mason-Dixon Ice Team Avatar
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:20 AM »
no offense taken here,of course i was just looking for for some ice fishing tips

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
Re:Apology for Mason-Dixon Ice Team Avatar
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:20 AM »
Very noble of you fatty - I personaly didn't see anything wrong......but others might have and you stepped up. May the ice fishing god's bless you with a 3# perch, or 20# pike, or 15# walleye......etc.  ; ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:23 AM »
i second muskiematt. not offended in any way. i do hope you catch a 30# northern. grumpymoe

Perch Jerker

« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2004, 08:48 AM »
Another case where PC crap creaps into a decent, informative forum.  I'm surprised that someone would take the time to complain.  Use your time wisely, get out there on the ice!  

Offline Oagie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2004, 09:32 AM »
Kudos to you Fat-boy.  That flag is offensive to some.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2004, 09:39 AM »
the fact that we talk about fishing is offensive to many more than that flag is offensive to >:(

please dont take this website down!

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Fatboy, I was raised to let people be who they are and not try to change them. Even tho i did find your avatar kind of diffrent for an icefishing site, i just focus on the info that i get here. So keep giving the info and dont sweat the avatar anymore. Good luck on the ice. Smitty

Offline jimfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Set The HOOK!!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2004, 10:14 AM »
Fatboy, people need to grow up. I thought it was fine, infact a lot of guys around Chicago fly rebel flags on their shanties and I don't think they have slaves in there

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2004, 10:43 AM »
Ahh yes polital correctness strikes again.   ::)
Rich Ferguson

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2004, 11:33 AM »
was merely a description of the Mason-Dixon line

What is the Mason-Dixon Line? I'm a Canuck so exuse my ignorance.

P.S. I trust the star wars kid is not offensive to anyone who does those sort of things. ;D ;D

missfishylicious

« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2004, 12:16 PM »
cudos for changing it. I didn't find it offensive ,but someone did .why don't you use the state flags to represent the mason dixon line .it makes more sense the rebel flag represents the confederate army. that wars over lets leave it that way  ;D

icefishnfool

« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2004, 07:58 PM »
hey vancouvercanuck I am offended by the simbles that penguin has ....do you think you can change them to a big hammer instead .????....and Fatboy I was offended .....as a matter of fact I was so offended , I think I am going to Deep Creek and catch some big fat perch tommarrow , and if I don't catch any tommarrow ,  Ima gona go back Sunday and try again  , until that big fat perch comes up through the hole and tells me "Mark , It will be OK "  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D...I hope I didn't offend anybody by using the word FAT ......by the way I am FAT and Happy .....because I can go  ice fishing tommarrow .....I hope that doesn't offend anybody .....Yea Yea , I know that fat perch didn't do anyting to me , there is that word again  ;D ;D lighten up people ....he didn't mean anything by it ,... Mark Sirko

Offline bogeyjoker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay on Top!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2004, 09:54 PM »
  Although I certainly wasn't offended by the Mason Dixon logo (I understood the context in which it was meant), the Confederate Flag does bother me to a degree....not because I think it's a racist symbol, or a call to arms (as in "the south will rise again"), or anything that the PC crowd usually says it represents.
  It only bothers me because, to me it represents the darkest period in our Nation's history when well over a million brave men from both sides died fighting for what they (or at least their respective politicians) believed in.  To me there is nothing more horrific than Americans killing Americans, and although I know most people that fly the Confederate battle flag don't even think about the Civil War, that's the first thing I think of.
  Bothers me? sure a little, offends me?  Nope... if Fatboy wants to use that for his logo...I could care less.  If someone told me I had to fly one in my yard or on the back of my pickup...then I'd have a problem.
Tight Lines

missfishylicious

« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:44 AM »
if given a choice I'd rather see your picture up there skinny boy  ;) ;D

Offline water_wolf

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A water_wolf in sheepheads clothing
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:54 AM »
Good post bogeyjoker.  Never thought of it from that perspective.
Rich Ferguson

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2004, 10:19 AM »
Nothing personal, but since when did our first amendment guaranteed right of freedom of speech and expression turn into our first amendment conditional privlege so long as you check with everyone first and don't step on any ones toes or hurt anyones feelings? The fact that Kevin had to worry about someone being offended by his avaitor is offensive to me. If you don't like it don't look at it. I understand that some may have some deep personal feelings toward certian symbols or pictures. GET OVER IT. I am sure you have your reasons Kevin and you shouldn't have to explain them or justify them to anyone. I for one respect you for that. It is your right. If I have a problem with it, I can choose not to look at it. That is MY right.

Carry on Kevin, I wouldn't change a thing. Brian

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2004, 01:59 PM »
well said bogey,
I hate PC as much as any of you guys, but if I was asked to change my logo sincerily, i would probably do it...although i would neo appologise for it.  there is a difference between being considerate and PC, PC is always inconsiderate ;D.  But i really admire what you did fatboy, because you didn't have to change your logo, but you did because someone asked you to.  I'm with bogey also with what the confederate flag is.... it doesn't offend me, it just bothers me a bit when i see it sometimes and makes me wonder.  I hated the idea of the civil war and it seemed so stupid that so many people killed their own just for the idea of succession.  

missfishylicious

« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2004, 05:37 PM »
Nothing personal, but since when did our first amendment guaranteed right of freedom of speech and expression turn into our first amendment conditional privlege so long as you check with everyone first and don't step on any ones toes or hurt anyones feelings? The fact that Kevin had to worry about someone being offended by his avaitor is offensive to me. If you don't like it don't look at it. I understand that some may have some deep personal feelings toward certian symbols or pictures. GET OVER IT. I am sure you have your reasons Kevin and you shouldn't have to explain them or justify them to anyone. I for one respect you for that. It is your right. If I have a problem with it, I can choose not to look at it. That is MY right.

Carry on Kevin, I wouldn't change a thing. Brian
since this is a privately owned and run forum not a democracy. but I agree.whats the big deal

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2004, 07:45 PM »
i betcha more people would take offense if i put up a PETA banner (the bad peta)  >:( course then again, that would be politicly correct, so i would have to leave it up, and no one ever objects to political correctness right??  ::)

Bluegill_Bob

« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2004, 08:29 PM »
Missfishylicious;
I am very offended by your use of a Avatar of a physically challenged Dog. Look at the poor thing it has no front legs and is pushing it's self accross the ice.
Please get a wheelchair at least. ;D

I think anyone can be offended by anything if they try hard . I would like to spend my time in other ways.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2004, 09:29 PM »
i betcha more people would take offense if i put up a PETA banner (the bad peta)  >:( course then again, that would be politicly correct, so i would have to leave it up, and no one ever objects to political correctness right??  ::)

Hey enough with the bad words (PC that is).  But seriously, the only reason this has become a big deal is because everyone made it one.  I think for the most part we can all agree that Fatboy wasn't in the wrong having that symbol for his picture.  Also, that Fatboy is very considerate to change the symbol because somebody had a problem.

acsacmboy

« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2004, 11:10 PM »
i was not offended. i dont mind really anything anyone says unless it goes against me or somehtin i like. i respect anyones thoughts on a subject because i belive in very different things than my peers. not offended.

missfishylicious

« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2004, 07:33 AM »
Missfishylicious;
I am very offended by your use of a Avatar of a physically challenged Dog. Look at the poor thing it has no front legs and is pushing it's self accross the ice.
Please get a wheelchair at least. ;D

I think anyone can be offended by anything if they try hard . I would like to spend my time in other ways.

I said I wasn't offendedand if my dog can walk on water she can get around just fine with two legs  ;D

missfishylicious

« Reply #24 on: Jan 18, 2004, 07:36 AM »
ah from the mouths of babes I agree 100% with acsacumboy ;)

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2004, 07:56 AM »
For the record Fatboy, i was not offended. Matter of fact i didn't know there was a problem until a few minutes ago and i read this thread. I don't think there is a problem.        olds

superhooperduty

« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2004, 12:06 AM »

i object to PC!

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2004, 10:27 PM »
I appreciate everyone's understanding.  This is an ice fishing site and politics can be debated elsewhere (at least from me).  Let's debate what the best flasher is, or what is the best lure, or what is the best ice rod, or what is the best ice fishing state.  I hope that whoever I have offended in the past reads every word that I've ever written on this site.  If they do, they should find that I've always shared everything that I know and have always wished the best for all with regard to fishing and otherwise.  Never will you find anything in my language that would indicate hate of another person.  That is because those kinds of thoughts do not exist in my head - given my limited mental capacity.  A picture is worth a thousand words they say.  Well, that image that I had in my avatar probably was OK with 999 of those words, but that one word was a problem and it never occurred to me.  I'm not ignorant, but probably naive, and now I'm sorry for that.

I meant what I said in my apology and feel bad that it hurt someone.  That was not my intent at all.  Iceshanty is an inclusive site and it includes all, and I don't want anyone to feel unwelcome...anyone.  

Fishing is an inclusive sport.  We, as anglers, have so much in common with a fishing rod in hand that our physical features become irrelevant.
So, that said, I hope that everyone has a great ice fishing season and that I get a chance to fish with all of you some day, no matter who you are or where you are from.  
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 20, 2004, 11:25 PM »
Skinny boy,  "Never will you find anything in my language that would indicate hate of another person.  That is because those kinds of thoughts do not exist in my head - given my limited mental capacity."  LOA!  Good luck with your season.
TEAM ALASKA

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #29 on: Jan 20, 2004, 11:45 PM »
Big deal, it was just a rebel flag. I have a few of them in my shanty. One is a big Rebel Gas logo, one is a Dukes of Hazzard mirror. To me, the flag represents a sort of attitude, country kinda style, a little raw I guess. And I think it looks cool. It has never meant anything racist to me, and I never have thought about the civil war when I look at it, but maybe I shoulda spent a little more time payin attention in History class!
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.