Author Topic: 1st Anual David Follansbee benifit ice fishing derby  (Read 8910 times)

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
1st Anual David Follansbee benifit ice fishing derby
« on: Feb 17, 2008, 12:28 PM »
just putting a new post up with a better topic

We have a personal stake in this particular fundraiser. A close family member of ours, David Follansbee, was diagnosed in May 2007 with a brain tumor. Dave went into an emergency surgery procedure, two parietal intracerebral abscesses were found, with one rupturing during surgery.

Infections and high fevers followed and were getting worse. Dave then went through two additional emergency surgeries during the summer months. A 4th surgery was performed and a permanent ventriculostomy (V drain) shunt was placed.

Dave is going through rehab right now, recovery is slow with ups and downs. Dave suffers from left homonymous hemianopia , short term memory loss, balance issues, and is on 24/7 supervision. Doctors are now diagnosing Dave with Multiple Sclerosis. “MS” is a disease that affects the central nervous system.

Dave is 48, married to a very supportive wife, has 3 children, and 5 grandchildren. David loves to hunt, fish, spend time with his grandkids, and make you laugh.

During this crisis, both David and his wife lost their full-time jobs of 57 years combined, and we want to help this family out with a fundraiser to help ease the stress of the medical and living expenses.

We thank you in advance for your support. Please forward this web site to your friends, family, and email contacts: davesfund.com.

i will let you all know tommorow after fish and game call me but i also have a bunch of people ready for this event its going to be great i hope to see some kids pull in some monsters

Offline whitepinkspikes

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: derby for a great cause
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2008, 08:44 AM »
Fishy i know how hard it is on the family with someone with ms my wife has ms ,she found out like a lot of people do one friday she was at work & noticed one of her legs was a little numb (i tell her she is numb anyway)kidding but anyway she made a dr apt. and went to the the dr sat. morning nice guy family friend so he took the time & did a spinal (hurts) results came in about a week or so later the dr called out house a friday evening about 9pm & told my wife. my wife has never been sick in her life, so they went over some options she had with meds. i tell ya we had a few tough days because she would always ask me what i would do if i had ms we are very close so i told her the truth do the best you can. that was about 20 yrs. agao she is still going strong & now she has her own bait shop. she loves to sell bait listen to the fishermen & women lie about the size of fish they ALMOST caught. i really think a good attitude helps a lot. you and or your family should get the ms monthly magazine. lots of info. & the best part is its free really there is lots of good info.
new meds.they offer a lot of on-line information its good because you can read when & if you want to, i really think its been good for our whole family it bribgs you closer & you know how lucky you are to only have ms not aids,cancer or something that would keep you from even going out of the house attitude is a big part of it.one of the harder things is the heat really bothers her no big deal that just gives us a good reason to have a/c in the house car & truck my wife,she is 49 now diagnosed with ms i think it was 2000, and she is tough as ever to tough sometime she enjoys the smaller things in life more now like fishing, selling bait laugh at the fish stories etc. she  says i have MS-MS does'nt have me ! hang in there its not all that bad check out www.nationalmssociety. org  the ms society also has a free monthly news letter. it has info. about mew meds. what works the best and it is great for your self-esteem, if your having a bad day read it a bit then ya dont feel so bad, just think you could have just got home from iran burnt 90% of your body, si i would think your really not in all that bad of shape keep your head high & family,friends are always a help. if he really needs someone to talk to post it i will give you our e-mail, so my wife can help ya through some of the rough times.

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2008, 03:30 PM »
hey just wanted to let everyone know we are on for march 2nd on pleasent lake in deerfeild derby starts at 8 and ends at 4 if there are any ?s let me know i cant wait to see all you guys it will be 10 dollors to entry and top 3 bigest trout will take home trophys and there will also be trophys for the top 3 kids trout
we also will be having a raffle with some cool ice fishing gear hope to see you all there

Offline tundra1965

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Can i Bring in trout from my pond in backyard? After I fatten them up with steroids.   Sorry just being a smartass

Offline Joppa-flat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2008, 06:05 PM »
Fishy, This derby is definitely for a great cause and wouldn't miss it. I have already marked it on my calender. Just let me know how can I get tickets. Please let David & his family know our prayers are with him.
There ain't no fish in this chemical dump!

Offline salmotrutta

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2008, 06:12 PM »
couple of questions?Weight or length measurement and when and where can i get a derby ticket?Was gonna take my shack off this week but i might just leave it on for the derby.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2008, 09:25 PM »
Happy to hear the derby is on, I'll be there and would also like to give an additional donation :D

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2008, 06:37 AM »
Pleasant Lake on a Sunday, I'll be there.

Offline Jiffy Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2008, 08:53 AM »
I can't make it, I already have plans for that weekend. I still want to buy a ticket and support it though. Where can I get one?

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:31 PM »
couple of questions?Weight or length measurement and when and where can i get a derby ticket?Was gonna take my shack off this week but i might just leave it on for the derby.

i will be set up at the boat ramp and be selling tickets there i will be there at sun up. and it will be for the heaviest fish

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2008, 03:33 PM »
Happy to hear the derby is on, I'll be there and would also like to give an additional donation :D

Additional donations will be takin at the boat ramp, we will also have raffle tickets for sale with some nice custom handmade jigs
and outher goodies

Offline NHfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 1st Anual David Follansbee benifit ice fishing derby
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:49 PM »
Sounds like youve put together a great event and youve done it in very little time, for a great and personal cause. I will make it if i can. 

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2008, 09:54 PM »
Sounds great... I would be there in a heartbeat, but I have already put together a large "fishing day" for another board I frequent on that same day. We're going to be on Winni. Good luck with the event. You're doing a great thing.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2008, 08:10 PM »
well jobsite sorry to hear you cant make it its going to be a good time its good to see the ice again i was out today and it was bare ice no snow slush or water it was awsome 20 inchs of ice.

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get outta the house you lazy basstard!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2008, 02:36 PM »
HFF, if you need help with set up let me know. I am 12 minutes away and I will be there with at least 1 buddy.
V-
-V

Offline FISHFACE_55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2008, 04:51 PM »
Will try to attend with my new ice fishing partner and support this great cause. Tournament or not it would be a great time to show support to someone that deserves it and get together with other ice fisherman who do what others think is insane and make a day of it on the ice.......   

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2008, 10:33 AM »
yea if you can make you should come its going to be a great time and a good chance to meet you ice shanty friends

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2008, 04:03 PM »
i'm hoping to make it to this any cause is a good cause to hit the ice in my book !!!

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2008, 06:24 PM »
NHTROUTFISHERMAN and I will be out there, too.  We'll have the details worked out later this week... anyone, feel free to come by and say hello.

I'm trying to talk Murphrem into coming too.  ;D We'll see. 

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2008, 07:20 PM »
awesome guys I'm looking forward to meeting you all and getting to put some face's to the names on here

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 25, 2008, 06:38 PM »
Here is a question for you guys?

I live 2 minutes from Pleasant Lake and generally start fishing there pretty early 5-6 am.

I will be there for the derby and will be making a donation to the cause BUT.... won't actually enter in the derby because I would like to start fishing my normal time ( well before the derby actually starts ) 

I definately do not want to upset any one. So I figured I would ask what people thought before-hand?

Thanks -NHTF

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #21 on: Feb 25, 2008, 06:48 PM »
Nh trout fisherman  That easy between 5-8 those are your fish after 8:00 Derby on ART 

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2008, 06:54 PM »
Hi Art,

That sounds OK, But I dont want anyone questioning as to when it was caught.  As I mentioned I'll be there to support the cause and to  meet other shanty members, but don't wish to compete in the event just to fish early without any hassles.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2008, 07:15 PM »
What ever happened to honor among thieves. Just kidding sounds like a go.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2008, 08:48 PM »
im going to be there fishing early as well so if you see me come over grab a ticket and head out i have no problem with early entrys i just said 8 for all the people that live on the lake drilling holes early on a sunday has allways made me feel bad just dont wanna upset anyone but i also know that nothing beats a sunrise tip up  :laugh:

Offline Vic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 26, 2008, 07:34 AM »
I'll be there but what kind of fish are in the lake never fished it before and how many traps are we allowed ?            /

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2008, 09:32 AM »
6 trap lake.  Rainbows, browns, and a few brookies here and there.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2008, 10:02 AM »
Monster smallies in there too....

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2008, 01:01 PM »
Were abouts do you find the smallies under the ice?  I wouldn't mind putting out a couple traps for them sometime in the future.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2008, 01:24 PM »
We used to cruise in the boat in about 10-15 FOW and pick em off the beds.  That lake is so clean you could see em easily in the deeper water.  From the boat ramp, looking up the lake, there is a house on the left with a glass front (Joe Knox's place), from there down is where we'd hit em.  If you follow the lake further down, it gets pretty weedy towards the end...that's where the big pickerel hang out  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.