Author Topic: Newbie to Pike fishing  (Read 2156 times)

Offline runtfisher14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Newbie to Pike fishing
« on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:14 AM »
I am going pike fishing on the St. Lawrence this weekend and need to know everything. How should I rig my tip-ups from top to bottom? How far under the Ice should I put them down? Treble or Straight hook? How big of Bait? Thanks guys.

Offline ebrooks22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newbie to Pike fishing
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:13 AM »
put your minnows about 2 foot of the bottom or try diffrent depth iv seen people catch pike right under the ice befor try everything and good luck and be safe ;D

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2008, 03:51 PM »
If you ask ten different people, you will get ten different opinions; but that's because there's more than one way to land northerns!

My tip-ups are rigged with 30lb test tip-up line.  I'm not too particular with the leaders, but am currently using 20lb test titanium leaders.  Steel and mono will work too, but I believe that steel tends to kink and has memory, which may restrict the natural movement of your bait, if you're using live bait.

I use treble hooks, and always hook the bait through the back, around the dorsal fin. 

I only use live bait, and try to always use golden shiners.  I like to have shiners in the range of 4-6".  Some guys may think 4" is too small, and I agree with that to an extent, but the pike will still hit them.  But you would be surprised at how often a smallish pike will hit a larger size bait.  Using bigger bait also helps keep jumbo perch from setting off your flags. 

As a rule of thumb, I usually keep the bait anywhere from 1-3' off the bottom, but never within weeds if it can be helped.  Setting them just under the ice works well sometimes too. 

Setting the hook is also a matter of opinion.  I watch my tip-ups closely, to ensure that I know right away when a flag goes off.  This is important for me, as I prefer to set the hook on the second run.  Some guys set it right away, and that works too sometimes.

Again, this is all sometimes trial and error; nothing is ever absolute, there are many different styles out there, and you should definately try different things to see what works best for you.

Good luck on your trip; post some pics of what you catch!   :tipup:

Offline runtfisher14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2008, 05:02 PM »
Thanks luffy. It was really slow. I caught the most fish out of a group of 10, and it was only 2 small pike.

Offline Luffy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag up!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2008, 08:34 AM »
Sometime's it's slow...  at least you caught some fish!

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2008, 04:12 PM »
2 small pike can be considered a good day in the world of pike fishing, in CT at least. Putting in time is the number one way to land a biggun. Like Luffy said, baits 1 to 3 feet off the bottom, although I usually run closer to the 1 foot spectrum. I also like to use dead baits, not on all my traps but usually a couple. those go right on the bottom but not buried in the weeds. Titanium, steel, flouro, whatever your comfortable with for a leader. I use 40lb flouro because its what I started with and have confidence in, but I have seen good results with other material.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.