The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Left Over Bait  (Read 1847 times)

Offline xjjesterx

• IceShanty Rookie
Left Over Bait
« on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:56 AM »
Ok since I'm a rookie and find myself leaving the ice with more left-over bait than fish, what's the best way to save waxies, mousies, spikes etc, and for how long?

I'm figuring I can save a little money by not pitching my left overs.

Please chime in with your thoughts.

Offline spartaman12

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Left Over Bait
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:59 AM »
dump em down the hole and let the fish go on a frenzy
Another crappie.........yay!

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:01 AM »
If the temperature is below freezing, i leave my waxies and mousies in my garage.  I also use the fridge, and they last a long time.  I have a heavily aireated aquarium that i keep my leftover shiners in, and they can live for weeks.  Really save me money in the long run

Offline Gibby

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I leave mine in the butter compartment in fridge, should hold you a couple of weeks. Wife will remind you if they have over stayed their life span.

Gibby:)

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:05 AM »
I always set mine in the window sill.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:09 AM »
I also keep my larva in the fridge as far as the minnows without a valid recipt for them they are not worth keeping any more reciept is valid for seven days.I have a minnow tank full of shiners right now but they are now illegal because of the reicept expired

Offline fishybill

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • insidious
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 09:12 AM »
don't put waxies in the fridge.

Hauler is right keep them on a window sill where its "cool" and they will last all year.
You'll have to periodically pick out the dead ones.  I've had the same pack of 500 all winter.
Still probably have 200 or so.  Also have a few dozen mousies and spikes that I bought back in December. 

I don't bother to keep minnows anymore.
"Put duct tape on that, if it don't fix it atleast we'll know its ...... up"

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:19 AM »
i keep any left over minnows in the same minnow bucket that they were in on the ice.  i do change about half the water every 2-3 days.  you will lose a few of them, just pick them out and you should have enough to use the next time you head out.  spikes do well in the fridge at 34-38 degrees.  i have purchased 1000 spikes back in early december and still have a few left.  i did order more this week to carry me over until early march.  mousies, not really sure on what temps work well with those.  waxworms do well at 50-55 degrees, if they start to turn brown or black, you might have to get them a little colder.  good luck on your saving your bait quest!
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline hauler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:38 AM »
With minnows I try to keep a good ammount of icicles in there to keep a fresh cool supply of water.

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:12 PM »
I keep waxies/spikes in the fridge. If I am not going back out the next day or 2 I freeze my minnows and use dead minnows in the future....

Offline zwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2008, 02:22 PM »
I leave mine in the butter compartment in fridge, should hold you a couple of weeks. Wife will remind you if they have over stayed their life span.

Gibby:)

I second that.......  The wife gets a little funny about that after a while.

Offline chezmoose

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2008, 03:38 PM »

I don't mind the waxworms or spikes in the fridge near as much as the crawlers in the summer. They  have a tendency to escape! That creeps me out... (the wife)

Official Treasurer of the M.I.R.C.
                                    Membership dues payable now

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2008, 05:36 PM »
The most lively waxxies I buy are sold at store temperature. They go dormant when kept in a fridge or below freezing. Don't keep them cold too long though, they will freeze up and die. But keeping them at room temp or a little above freezing, they'll stay active as the day you buy them. (Alot of stores sell them in coolers, and alot of times, they are dead before you buy them. That's why they are so mushy sometimes.) A wax worm should be moving/crawling around as much as a nightcrawler does.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline c2223

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:48 PM »
My house is 55, I just leave them on the counter, my minnows go into the sump pump, fresh water around the clock!

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:49 PM »
in my garage. away from all heat sources. never any problems!

Offline walleyesteve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Walleye & Perch the other white meat.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2008, 03:50 AM »
Be carefull with city water, let it sit for 12hrs for the chlorine to evaporate, softened well water will kill'm too. 10 deg temp change will shock shinners, let the water temp stabilize before adding new water. Make sure to remove the dead ones they skank the water up fast. The colder the water the better, cold water has higher oxygen level. Airators are a must, garage sale 110vlt aquarium pump are my choice.
God created bass for those who can not catch walleye.

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2008, 05:01 PM »
Well...when on the ice.....I keep the waxies in between my cheek and gum...you know, so they dont freeze. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2008, 06:29 PM »
That works well there, Rum, but I can only fit about 6 of them at a time.   :P Anything more then that, and they seem to want to burst under all that pressure. :sick:
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.