Author Topic: Pound of minnows....  (Read 5126 times)

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
Pound of minnows....
« on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:25 PM »
Does any know roughly how many dozen small minnows you get in a pound???
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Pound of minnows....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:30 PM »
Are you trying to find out how much the bait shop making? There's quite a few dozen in a pound and the last time I heard,they pay around 6 bucks a pound.

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2008, 03:42 PM »
Just asking so I know if I have a choice of bulk bait instead of by the dozen....guess I'm trying to figure out whats cheaper.
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline Jake and Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:41 PM »
Are you trying to figure out a recipe?

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:53 PM »
Are you trying to figure out a recipe?

;D ;D ;D ;D ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D ;D :woot: :woot: :woot: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:26 PM »
Well, if you are on disability then you probably have some time on your hands.  Make up some shiner traps (google it) and get your own for free.  Just a thought.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:37 PM »
My brother was a bait dealer for awhile and the average pike minnow weighs around 28 grams or 1 oz, however you wanna look at it. You get around 1 1\2 dozen or 18 minnows to the pound. The bait dealers Don't make very much, if anything off the minnows, once gas and upkeep are figured in. They make their money from getting us in there for bait and hopefully sell us something else while we're there. I try and make it a habit of buying whatever I need from our local bait shops even though Walmart may have it cheaper. If we don't get our money into the small bait shops so they can make a profit, We will not have any left for the future fishermen and women. Also when was the last time you hung out for an hour at Walmart shooting the &*%# and getting the best info on the latest honey hole. I for one look forward to talking with my local bait guys.

Amen to that brother.I will usually ask the owner what they are biting on and buy that jig. So it cost me another 2.00 for the jig,its worth it if it will keep him in business. Its not like these guys are are making a ton of $$.They are doing the same as you and I just trying to make a living.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2008, 08:14 PM »
The bait dealers Don't make very much, if anything off the minnows, once gas and upkeep are figured in. They make their money from getting us in there for bait and hopefully sell us something else while we're there. I try and make it a habit of buying whatever I need from our local bait shops even though Walmart may have it cheaper. If we don't get our money into the small bait shops so they can make a profit, We will not have any left for the future fishermen and women. Also when was the last time you hung out for an hour at Walmart shooting the &*%# and getting the best info on the latest honey hole. I for one look forward to talking with my local bait guys.

SO TRUE !!!

I would talk to your bait dealer and ask what is the better deal for you. A GOOD and REPUTABLE bait and tackle shop owner isn't going to steer you wrong. He does want your repeat business.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:02 PM »
look at it this way. will you be able to sucessfully keep these fish alive??? once is is out will you use them for trout season or open water of just throw them away?  i believe we still have some hard water fishing left but not a ton. so depending on how much you plan on fishing and if you can keep them alive well is how you should base your decision. as for trapping your own shiners. i have still yet to master that one around here in pa. I kill the suckers and creek chubs but struggle with shiners, if you figure it out please give me tips!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.