The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: The "Gut"  (Read 4211 times)

Offline IceFishingWithaGaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
The "Gut"
« on: Feb 09, 2008, 05:49 PM »
The gut was able to be fished last week till the stupid rain washed away all the ice thanks rain I hope you are happy. A friend fished it and sayed that there isn't the amount of crappie there like years before since everyone that goes there pretty much catches there limit. Maybe next year we can get out there. Adam
Why wait to spring time to fish when u have perfectly good ice to fish on.

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: The "Gut"
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:14 AM »
GAFF,   i've been saying that for years now.  These people keep their limit of crappies that are 4-5 inches.  Seen this first hand for years now. They just don't get it, in order to catch 9inchers, you have to release the smaller fish.  Its not brain science!  Everyone thinks they need to keep 50 a day, thats why we catch nothing now.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:31 AM »
Don't get me wrong I like to keep a few fish here and there but yeah when you keep fish that are 4 inches that leaves nothing to grow to be a bigger fish my friend said that when he fished there this year guys down there where telling him that they have been keeping there limit everyday that they had fished which is kinda sad. Oh well I guess to each their own.

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:31 PM »

Listen,, the same thing happens at sayers dam, a few years ago, guys were walking off the ice with 50 crappie, same thing in the spring, boats coming to shore, 50 each,  now,  read the reports, everyone b!tches about small fish.  WONDER WHY??  Seen this first hand.  DONT BLAME IT ON THE " CLASS OF FISH FOR THE YEAR", BLAME THE ANGLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o   

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:47 PM »
Listen,, the same thing happens at sayers dam, a few years ago, guys were walking off the ice with 50 crappie, same thing in the spring, boats coming to shore, 50 each,  now,  read the reports, everyone b!tches about small fish.  WONDER WHY??  Seen this first hand.  DONT BLAME IT ON THE " CLASS OF FISH FOR THE YEAR", BLAME THE ANGLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o   
I am with you 100%

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:59 PM »
AMEN,  Tell dave i  said hello.  I fished with him a few times.  Its 23 degree's right now in south side.  As far as fishing the gut, its done for awhile, if not for the year. the river is flowing pretty good.  OH well, this is good news for the fish. ;D...They'll get to grow from 4inches to 5 inches. WOW!!!!!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:04 PM »
I don't talk to Dave anymore I have tried to call and IM him on AIM but he never answers me. Plus he lives in Pike County I think now. I am right now in Scotland Pa with no ice around that I have found so I hve to wait till this weekend to fish since this is my week to work.

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2008, 07:11 PM »
Well, i've tried to send PM'S to dave, but he doesnt respond to any of mine either.  OH well.  I just hope to fish r.v. this weekend.  LATER.......BNB....

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2008, 08:17 PM »
the gut is iced over....   river very low.....

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2008, 11:57 AM »
how thick is the ice?
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 25, 2008, 02:50 PM »
The gut wont be iced over for some time now, its normally that last to freeze.

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 25, 2008, 03:30 PM »
i jsut figure that beernbait said it was iced over...i wonder who is right?
"The mountain without is merely a crutch to help us deal with the mountain within."

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2008, 05:47 PM »
Even with the river low I highly doubt it could be frozen over already...I haven't even seen any ice chunks floating down the North Branch yet so I just couldn't picture there being ice on the gut...maybe on the edges but certainly not iced over
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline primepin65

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2008, 11:25 PM »
thats kind of waht i was hinting at beernbait...i was laughing b/c you said 1 post before me that it WAS iced over and he said directly after me that it WASN'T... so amen to you brother...jsut keep us updated when you can

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 26, 2008, 04:41 AM »
Lol chill guys i thought i was reading the reports from last year. Thats news to me that there is ice on it, but i should have looked at it because we had ice in the coves the other morning at sylvan dell when i was duck hunting.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2008, 06:03 AM »
LISTEN HERE,  i live 2 miles from the gut.  The gut is ALWAYS ONE OF THE FIRST TO FREEZE. Its not on the main river, its a side GUT.  No reason for chunks of ice to be floating down river for this place to be safe.  Its  ONE OF THE FIRST TO FREEZE. 

Hey RV based on your knowledge and prior experience of this section of the river, when do you anticipate it to have safe ice? Your still gonna be waiting a while to fish on it even if it may have a whole inch by now. Let me know if it is safe yet tho by Saturday, I'll be out to fish it since I gotta go past the Williamsport area anyway.

Offline BEERNBAIT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2008, 02:22 PM »
get a few days of temps in the teens, to get a good base.  Doesnt have to get real cold in order for 1-3fow to freeze.  besides the fact, we dont want a foot of ice down here, hell, most of the time people fish, you can reach in the hole and touch bottom!  the more water, the better.

Offline THEFLAGMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2008, 08:31 AM »
where exactly is "the gut" i just moved down to williamsprot for school (penn tech) and heard about the gut but i dont know its located.
and how is the fishing there?

Offline hardwater51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2008, 12:11 PM »
where exactly is "the gut" i just moved down to williamsprot for school (penn tech) and heard about the gut but i dont know its located.
and how is the fishing there?
The gut is located on the Duboistown side (south side) of the Arch street bridge.
God does not subtract from a man's allotted time on earth the time spent fishing- Greek proverb

Offline THEFLAGMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAG!!!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2008, 03:40 PM »
i know exactly where that is!

Thanks!!!

Offline zooqi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 14, 2009, 05:38 PM »
somebody told me is hard to find a parking there since the field people are not happy   got tired of cleaning after those who leave junk there after they are done fishing.  We always used the baseball field to park and it was nice of the owners to allow people pass through there. 

Offline aklimbing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Homemade Money Saver
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:15 PM »
hey man, I have read tons of post about this place. I have never been there before but i have seen the controversy that people have talked about. growing up next to  river, i understand the safety hazards. BUT, from what i read, it's just a small cove or pond next to the river. all i have to say, is that the locals who fish it know whats up, and everyone else should listen. if you don't trust the postings, find out for yourself and drill some holes. just be safe, BUT don't over exaggerate.
Life is about the Journey, it's not about the End

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2009, 10:13 PM »
In the past we have dropped people off and some unlucky guy will park at the state park and walk across the bridge. Just easier sometimes. I did see about a dozen people back in the coves on Sunday.

Offline zooqi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 19, 2009, 07:29 PM »
SuperX2Nut
 :)
cool idea.. I know is not me know will be walking that far  :D My buddy can walk ..

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2009, 08:22 PM »
Guys,,,  just park next to the soft ball field,  or on the other side of the railroad tracks there is a parking lot, which is alot closer then the state park.

Offline zooqi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2009, 04:44 PM »
No sure but somebody at Rose Valley told us that ball field people are not happy with people using the property since some people garbaged the place.   :)  I might go there tomorrow for few hours.  I can't wait till Friday to go fishing.

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2009, 09:39 PM »
Just park on  the south side of the rail road bridge....lots of parking. only  a 30 yard further walk.  I might go wed also...   rose valley was worthless today.

Offline erihick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:52 AM »
what are people catching there? Anybody getting into the walleye? Are there any walleye?

Offline zooqi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:34 PM »
didn't get a chance to go today but we are heading to RV tomorrow.  Almost 40 degrees and don't want to work or stay home.  I am also planning to go on Friday. 

Offline BrewCrew27

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:10 PM »
Fished today, from noon till 5.  Ice conditions are great.  10-12inches.   Watched 2 guys come down, and with-in 2 hours, they KEPT  maybe 20-30 gills and crappie, NOTHING BIGGER THEN 3 INCHES.   I  caught 3 gills, all of them  2 inches,    last years young, and released them,  even if they were 16 inches, i would of released them.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.