New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: I @#$% Hate 10" augers!!  (Read 7806 times)

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I @#$% Hate 10" augers!!
« on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:16 PM »
I know we go through this same debate every year, but after today I have a legit reason for hating them. Went with a buddy to a new place today. After a fairly long walk out we started to fish. We knew we were in a spot where guys had fished in previous days, as you could see the mounds underneath the new snow. So I'm walking to a spot to drill a hole, and surprise!!, my left leg went through a snow covered 10" auger hole that was completely invisible. Right up to my mid thigh in water :%$#!: As if that's not bad enough, it happened three more times. These holes were completely invisible.
Fortunately, another buddy of mine called me and he was going to be going by and he brought me a pair of socks and boots, otherwise I would have had to leave. But now, for the rest of the day my buddy and I were walking on eggshells so it didn't happen again.
I know all the arguments, " its the only auger I have", and "I need big holes for that giant pike I'm going to catch", but that doesn't mean I can't hate them.  :%$#!: :%$#!:
Sorry, I just needed to vent. ;D ;D ;D
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
Re: I @#$% Hate 10" augers!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:20 PM »
Play the lottery!!! ;D  LOL   ;D
With your luck you will find all the winners (or losers) on the scratch off rolls
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline The Farmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2008, 04:28 PM »
the only time youll hook up with a 15 lb northern is when you have a 6' hole and 2lb test  ::)lol. Seems to be that way with me

Offline piscesman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2008, 05:53 PM »
This time of year try using a walking stick. Poke where you are going to test for hidden holes. Only other solution are snowshoes. A little bulky but a heck of a lot warmer. Good Luck.
      Kim :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :icefish: :tipup:
"To have and to hold till death do us part" really refers to a man and his ICE FISHING EQUIPMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline stringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:16 PM »
at least you have enough nuts to admit you own one yourself sorry about the wet leg but look on the bright side you didnt break your leg just got wet111

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2008, 06:44 PM »
i know what you mean  bigfish :icefish:

Offline jon in ct

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:03 PM »
Same thing happened to me today.  There's definitely no need for them.  A 14 pound trout was pulled out of a lake in CT this year out of a 6" hole, no need for a 10".

Offline nyr114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:11 PM »
My dad stepped in an 8" hole a couple weeks ago. The funny thing was he drilled the hole he stepped in; he was pointing to my tip-up where the flag just went up and the next thing I know he is up to his thigh in water. I was rolling on the ice laughing. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2008, 07:28 PM »
You guys have small feet! :D

We have yahoos around here with 12'' augers! It makes me awfully nervous when I have my kids on the lake. >:( My size 14 snow boots have kept me dry so far.

On the same note, I have seen several 20+ pound pike pulled through 8'' holes.....with room to spare.

Offline numbtoes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • numbtoes
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:20 PM »
My grandson went into one just as we started out on the lake. Maybe 20 ft from shore. Once you are out there maybe you take your chances but cutting them on the path where everyone funnels out from the parking area before you spread out on the lake? Not cool.

Offline gcrossman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2008, 08:24 PM »
None of this would be a proplem if it was cold enough to re-freeze these holes!

Offline steelieATC

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2008, 09:40 PM »
that is why i try and put sticks in old holes, even with a 6" hole! ;D

Offline GM2500HD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2008, 10:50 PM »
Strap 4' 2x4's to your feet.

I like my 10" auger.
You'll find me over the deep water.

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2008, 09:00 AM »
i think it happened to me yesterday walking in the dead center of a lake with a skim coat of snow on top and bam my foot goes through, just up to my shin, so i did what ever angler would do kept on walking and didn't look back. Later i was wondering was there a spring there, was it somebody's temporary fishwell, i decided to leave it alone and not venture back to same way i came, And yes the ice was 11 inches everywere i drilled,ps i use a 4 inch auger

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Strap 4' 2x4's to your feet.

I like my 10" auger.

You may like it but is it nessesary??
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline pyle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:35 AM »
    You may like it but is it nessesary??

Is it nessesary for us to spend thousands of dollars on ice gear ???  No but he wants a 10 inch auger so he has every right to use one. Is it nessesary for people to drill 4 or 6 holes connecting? No but they do. They may be morons but they have the right to do it. i dont know why this is a topic every year.

Myself personally will never use a 10 inch auger cause I dont catch anything to warrent the use of one. ::)

Offline ketchemall

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:42 AM »
went out to my shanty a few years ago and someone put one about 5 foot away from my door :o and i found it the same way only problem was when you  just walked  out a half mile and get wet the decision is stay and fish or freeze good thing i had a wood stove dried out but was i  >:(  i was  the only shanty out there must of thought i was in a good spot
REMOVED

Offline WANNABFISHIN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2008, 10:47 AM »
You guys have small feet! :D

We have yahoos around here with 12'' augers! It makes me awfully nervous when I have my kids on the lake. >:( My size 14 snow boots have kept me dry so far.

On the same note, I have seen several 20+ pound pike pulled through 8'' holes.....with room to spare.
Do you know if these 12" augers are factory or are they homemade.  I'm interested in buying one.  8" is plenty big but even a  10" hole can get small pretty quick when its real cold and I dont feel like cleaning 5 holes out every hour. Nothing better than not worrrying about the hole freezing up and becoming too small for that big togue.

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2008, 11:41 AM »
Im not a fan of 10'' augers myself. Is there fish out there that are too big to pull through a 8'' hole?

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:16 PM »
Just a warning to all that hate 10" holes. Stay away from the Southern Sacandaga area. I fish there a lot and I use and like my 10"er. If I go to other areas of the Dead Sea I'll try to let you know in advance.
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:27 PM »
Sorry about that mike! :-) I just got a new 10" auger and put it to good use today with this 41" pike! :tipup
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:29 PM »
Im not a fan of 10'' augers myself. Is there fish out there that are too big to pull through a 8'' hole?
Do you think Peter Dubac's 46lb pike would come through even a 10" hole? I doubt it. I might also add, after seeing a 23.5lb northern squeeze through an 8" hole last year, my fishing buddys and I upgraded to 10" augers.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:40 PM »
Do you know if these 12" augers are factory or are they homemade.  I'm interested in buying one.  8" is plenty big but even a  10" hole can get small pretty quick when its real cold and I dont feel like cleaning 5 holes out every hour. Nothing better than not worrrying about the hole freezing up and becoming too small for that big togue.

I cant seem to find them on the web. ???

They might be discontinued or an aftermarket item. I know I have seen them, but they are few and far between. They are usually shorter than a standard shaft auger too. I wonder if they are not a converted earth bit. ??? You will see it from 100 paces, there is no mistaking one of those monstrosities! ;D

Offline reich607

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:50 PM »
Good point :embarassed:

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Not a darn thing ya gonna do about it  so watch where you put your foot! get your head outta the clouds look where your putting your foot  10" augers are here to stay so quit whining about it evidently your not prepaired for the winter if you have to call for spare socks   lol  always carry spare socks and clothes incase you do go in or just get wet    BTW I have an 8" auger and am happy with that  if I didnt have the powerhead I have  Id have the 10" auger as that is the most available auger around  never seen a 6 or 8" sold at wally world   be thankful you didnt break a leg
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:39 PM »
Not a darn thing ya gonna do about it  so watch where you put your foot! get your head outta the clouds look where your putting your foot  10" augers are here to stay so quit whining about it evidently your not prepaired for the winter if you have to call for spare socks   
actually, I was looking where i put my foot, you couldn't see them. as for spare socks, they don't do any good when the inside of your boot is soaked.
Ted Kennedys' probably here to stay but that doesn't mean I have to like him!!!!!!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline kappydick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2008, 06:50 PM »
Stepped in my first one today..Had my 9 year old daughter with me..Kept her right on my side after that :o

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Once again, the advantages of having a size 13 pack boot :-)

Offline aaron719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:47 AM »
i would think if your foot and/or leg goes into a hole, your chances of breaking a leg would be much greater with a smaller hole.  i have seen people go through 6, 8 and 10 inch holes alike.  i stepped into a 10 inch hole yesterday myself, luckily it was only part of my foot.  we just have to remember to take caution.  i love my 10" auger, sorry.  stay dry :tipup:
"The Green Hornet strikes again"

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 10, 2008, 06:06 AM »
My take is the ten in. hole is a big hazzard. No need for a hole that size.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.