Author Topic: Catching your own bait!  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Joppa-flat

• IceShanty Rookie
Catching your own bait!
« on: Feb 06, 2008, 02:54 PM »
Does anyone ever try catching thier own bait before or during the winni derby? We are headed up to winni for the derby on Friday to move our bobhouse to our rainbow location and was thinking of trying to catch some of our own bait. Has anyone ever tried this and did they have much luck? What type of fish would we be likely to catch and what would be the best bait in the trap?
There ain't no fish in this chemical dump!

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get outta the house you lazy basstard!
Re: Catching your own bait!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:35 PM »
Do you mean from the water body you are fishing? As in, down the hole?

Or just in general? I've tried in general and have had 2, yes 2 minnow traps stolen. 1 from a high-visability spot, and the other from a spot in the woods, in a bog. It's almost as if you need to trap on your own property to ensure you keep your trap. That is, unless I put an RFID tag on it, mmmmmooohahahahahahaha .

Bottom line is, fresh bait is awesome. I used a few crays I had and they caught large bass nonstop compared to my buddy who got skunked on the crays he bought at the bait store.
-V

Offline Joppa-flat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2008, 03:54 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I mean. Common sense tells me using bait fish that is commonly found in the lake or pond your fishing would produce more hits! Right! Any thoughts on bait to put in the trap? I have used saltine crackers and dried bread crumbs with pretty good results. Maybe you know of something that would work better.

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:36 PM »
dogfood works well.

I'm kind of with V though. It is a challenge to keep people or mother nature away from your traps. The first year my trap was stolen. The 2nd year I tried it seemed like mother nature was having her way with me. I had a section of the river freeze over my trap and line going into it. It was moving water too. Next spot was along a bank that collapsed during some heavy rains. Got my trap out both times but thee 2-3 shiners to show for it was not worth it.

That being said though I have always wanted to throw it down the hole on the lake I'm fishing to see if anything would find its way in while I'm there. I think you would do better in the fall though prior to the water freezing in a small  pond and for a week or so of sitting time.

Offline troutmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:50 PM »
I used to catch my own bait yearround but now here in new york we need to have certified bait.
you need to carry a slip from the bait shop and if youre cought without it you get a ticket.

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2008, 09:47 PM »
How about jigging smelt with a hali while you wait. But then I guess your only fishing one hole in the process two devices is slow enough up there sometimes.

Offline crawpie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:52 PM »
I used to catch my own bait yearround but now here in new york we need to have certified bait.
you need to carry a slip from the bait shop and if youre cought without it you get a ticket.

Are you fricken kidding me?  I am so fed up with piling on of often inane fishing rules that it seems like the fishing experience is an endangered species. When I was a kid growing up in Indiana half the fun was flipping rocks for crayfish, seining minnows out of a stream, or even collecting nightcrawlers at night after a heavy rain. Certified bait - certified BS. Sounds like the bait industry in NY had some good lobbiest pushing for that rule. 

I assume they want to stop invasive species and spreading disease, but for crying out loud where will it end?  And they wonder why fishing license sales are on the decline.

Arrghh!!!!

BTW:  If this is incorrect information, I still stand by my rant that fishing regulations have gotten out of hand.

The Quest continues

Offline baboosicfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2008, 05:57 AM »
i have always used dog food as well, but i seemed to catch more bony fish than i ever did bait fish.  Nothing more depressing than pulling up your minnow trap and seeing a school of small yellow perch looking back at you.
Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:29 AM »
Are you fricken kidding me?  I am so fed up with piling on of often inane fishing rules that it seems like the fishing experience is an endangered species. When I was a kid growing up in Indiana half the fun was flipping rocks for crayfish, seining minnows out of a stream, or even collecting nightcrawlers at night after a heavy rain. Certified bait - certified BS. Sounds like the bait industry in NY had some good lobbiest pushing for that rule. 

I assume they want to stop invasive species and spreading disease, but for crying out loud where will it end?  And they wonder why fishing license sales are on the decline.

Arrghh!!!!

BTW:  If this is incorrect information, I still stand by my rant that fishing regulations have gotten out of hand.

This is correct info and soon I see it hitting NH. Vt adopted regulations similiar to NY's this year. Sadly, we are next.

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2008, 07:00 AM »
whats next is no  bait at all.. artificial lures only.

Offline crawpie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:20 AM »
OK - I read about the certified bait issue and it appears to only be for bait fish, so I take back my nightcrawler collecting arguement. Crayfish are not covered by the current regulations either.

It seems that fisheries managers are freaking out about VHS and inacted certified bait regulations in many states in an attempt to slow the spread of the disease from the Great Lakes. They have no idea if it will work, but at least they are doing something. Since the virus travels in water, entire watersheds will eventually be infected if any trib is infected. I supose it does make sense to try to protect relatively small watersheds that are somewhat isolated.

I therefore downgrade the rant to only a disappointed whine about our current environmental situation. Basicially, we have so many people, moving so much stuff around this globe, that the ecology is changing in rapid and unknown ways. Normally, I  think a virus like this hammers a population, a few survive that are immune and then those repopulate with disease-resistance. Now the environmental stress from pollution and other factors make rebounding tough.

Basically the laws enforce good stewardship practices. I just resent seeing laws created to get me to act in a certain way. I suppose that is just the Libertarian in me spouting off.
The Quest continues

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2008, 12:58 PM »
your rant/whine is justified crawpie.  my buddy in MN can't even get shiners.  the more laws and rules.. the more they are broken, usually by upstanding, honest people just trying to have fun enjoying the outdoors.  soon, fishing will be done only in designated parks for a fee.
>))))))>

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 07, 2008, 01:08 PM »
OK - I read about the certified bait issue and it appears to only be for bait fish, so I take back my nightcrawler collecting arguement. Crayfish are not covered by the current regulations either.

It seems that fisheries managers are freaking out about VHS and inacted certified bait regulations in many states in an attempt to slow the spread of the disease from the Great Lakes. They have no idea if it will work, but at least they are doing something. Since the virus travels in water, entire watersheds will eventually be infected if any trib is infected. I supose it does make sense to try to protect relatively small watersheds that are somewhat isolated.

I therefore downgrade the rant to only a disappointed whine about our current environmental situation. Basicially, we have so many people, moving so much stuff around this globe, that the ecology is changing in rapid and unknown ways. Normally, I  think a virus like this hammers a population, a few survive that are immune and then those repopulate with disease-resistance. Now the environmental stress from pollution and other factors make rebounding tough.

Basically the laws enforce good stewardship practices. I just resent seeing laws created to get me to act in a certain way. I suppose that is just the Libertarian in me spouting off.

You're basically right.  From what I have read, Alewives are becoming a problem.  When fish target alewives as a sole food source, they become malnourished because of lacking vitamins and minerals.  There are a couple threads in the NY and Maine sections about it on IS.  Alewives are like empty calories... kinda like humans trying to live only on beer; minus the fun of course.

Offline Joppa-flat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:14 PM »
I appreciate the feed back and I understand where you guys are coming from, but I was really just wondering if anyone had ever caught their own bait "threw the ice" from the same body of water they where going to fish on any given day or days. I do believe it is legal in this state as long as it is intended for your own personal use and or you have no intention on selling it or releasing it in a different water body. I have done this up at camp in Pittsburg on Lake Frances in the spring while fishing for Salmon and I'll tell you there is no better bait. Just never tried it in the winter while ice fishing before.

Offline Venzulo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get outta the house you lazy basstard!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:38 PM »
I'll tell you Joppa, you got me thinking of buying my 3rd trap. I've always wanted to trap as I go, and being in the same place for 3 days is a good excuse to try it.
-V

Offline Joppa-flat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2008, 03:42 PM »
I'll tell you Joppa, you got me thinking of buying my 3rd trap. I've always wanted to trap as I go, and being in the same place for 3 days is a good excuse to try it.

Ya, I use a shiner trap and somtimes I catch more bait fish than I would ever need not to mention it's cheaper that way. I hate paying 6-8 dollars a dozen for smelt when I can catch them myself!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.