Author Topic: what do you like more local ponds or state managed lakes?  (Read 999 times)

Offline duramaxdan

• Team IceShanty Regular
I love my local pond, I have caught more large fish there than at another state ran lakes. Maybe its that its that I have more knowledge of the lake but every fish I catch is a keeper. I'm a catch and release guy but so far I've landed a 13 inch yellow perch 2 lbs largemouth 9 inch gills, large white perch and pickeral.  The only negative of this pond is that there is no trout. Anyways what does everyone else think?

Offline FoxyCleo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: what do you like more local ponds or state managed lakes?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:05 PM »
I like the larger state lakes because larger lake=more larger fish?? and may have more species like you were saying. But occasionally have my small ponds I go to but never icefishing, I always go to the larger ones

Offline ctfishermanct

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LET THERE BE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:35 PM »
I like my local ponds more also even if you dont have a chance to get a huge breeder that was in a tank its whole life you get to land so species that worked on its on to plentify itself.

Offline pdbruzassr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2008, 05:26 PM »
I love my local pond, I have caught more large fish there than at another state ran lakes. Maybe its that its that I have more knowledge of the lake but every fish I catch is a keeper. I'm a catch and release guy but so far I've landed a 13 inch yellow perch 2 lbs largemouth 9 inch gills, large white perch and pickerel.  The only negative of this pond is that there is no trout. Anyways what does everyone else think?
I have never fished that lake you talk about but years ago saw the bounty of fish one fisherman brought back to the bait store. Sometimes with lakes like that you want to keep the public out. I live in your town and the pond they have the fishing derby at is up the street from me. I have seen some nice trout caught from there and the state  or town does not stock it. You could change the trout issue very easily. The yearly drawn down there does not help matters.
My son and I have released a few trout in a panfish lake and saw a rainbow caught several years ago that was 27" in a lake that DEP says would never support trout.
Good luck in that private pond. There are bigger bass there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.