Author Topic: Convince me to buy a flasher unit...  (Read 12351 times)

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If you can't hunt---Fish!
Convince me to buy a flasher unit...
« on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:00 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a few years and I just can't seem to chunk down the money for one.  I know that if I do, it will probably be the Marcum LX5 because I have learned that you usually get what you pay for in life.  Having said that, I just do not know if it is a worthwhile investment for me.  I don't get to fish the ice much because quite frankly it usually doesnt ice up until January these days in Northwestern Pennsylvania.  Also, all the lakes I fish are shallow, no deeper than say 20 feet with the average being 5-10 feet.  I love to crappie fish and there are walley in these lakes and I really want to catch them in numbers.

Is a good flasher unit really gonna give me a noticeable edge in fishing these areas?
Is it worth the money to buy one under these shallow water conditions?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Convince me to buy a flasher unit...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:03 PM »
You have your mind made up. You know you are going to buy one, and you know that the depths you fish are perfect for a flasher. You also know that because you have short season, it is even more important to have a successful season as there are less days to fish.

Now go buy it!!!! :D

Offline Smitty71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:07 PM »
What can't I say about a flasher?!  First it will help you locate the fish and you won't spend time trying to figure out what depth they're at, you can just drop your bait right to them.  Second you can see how they react to your bait ie. come up and take it, look but don't bite, no looks at all.  This can help you decide what the fish want on a particular day.  Third, it can help you find structure and you can see how the fish relate to the structure.  4th, you can always by an adaptor and use your flasher in the summer as well.  In my opinion it's money well spent.

Hope that helps
Smitty

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:14 PM »
OK, maybe my mind is made up...lol
But please help me live with my decision before I place an order.  I have never even seen a flasher unit in use before.  I wouldnt know the first thing about it except that it is a lot of money.  I really hope they have a DVD with with some explanations on what those lights really mean.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:16 PM »
Slay,

Deffinately go out to a local lake and watch one in action. It will leave you with all the confidence you need. Good Luck.

RL

Offline icejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:19 PM »
OK, maybe my mind is made up...lol
But please help me live with my decision before I place an order.  I have never even seen a flasher unit in use before.  I wouldnt know the first thing about it except that it is a lot of money.  I really hope they have a DVD with with some explanations on what those lights really mean.

first of all you can save yourself at least 200-250 and buy either the vex fl8 or the marcum vx-1. They will do everything you need especially if you fishing in 30 fow or less.   It will be the smartest money you've ever spent........

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:21 PM »
So your saying a good flasher is really a plus for shallow lakes?
Seriously, I mean, I dont even have a power auger.  I just been digging and praying for fish for the most part.
I don't move around much because of the auger.  I always figured that I caught fish when the school came by and were hungry.  Not so much because of the depth I was fishing at.  They would bite then leave then come back again (or so I thought)  I attributed it to being due to a shallow lake, not so much that they may be at different depths.

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:22 PM »
Hey  Slay.....Give me a call....425-2841.  another Cochranton guy.

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:23 PM »
VEZILAR FL-8SE Reeds Sports  free shipping, Trust me, you will not be disappointed..Since I bought mine in 05' I have caught more fish and had more fun than ever before. I have jigged fish on lakes that i wouldn't even drop a line in to. Tip-up only lakes are now obsolete. I had to put bells on my tip-ups just so i would notice a flag. Spend that moldy money now, and thank the rest of us later...do it do it do it do it do it......Many will agree the best decision youcan make is a flasher.

Offline icejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:24 PM »
I have owned mine for 10 yrs....I fish 30 ft or less usually 20ft or less.   I would give away my black lab before I would go fishing without my vex..............sorry max :tipup:

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:27 PM »
first of all you can save yourself at least 200-250 and buy either the vex fl8 or the marcum vx-1. They will do everything you need especially if you fishing in 30 fow or less.   It will be the smartest money you've ever spent........

I realize what your saying, but I was reading that other flasher units nearby could mess with mine if they were in close proximity to mine.  I won't know if someone in a shelter near mine would have one in use.  And I read that the Marcum has safeties built into it to prevent that from occuring.  That is why I was looking at that model.
I may one day use it on Lake erie if I get brave enough, so maybe the more expensive model would be necessary at greater depths?

Offline Smitty71

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:27 PM »
Sure Slay, I've had a school of crappies come in at 15fow and were suspended from 4-13 foot.  A lot of the time they won't swim down to your bait so the flasher lets you put your bait right above them and it usually triggers a strike.  The school might not be leaving you, your bait might just be at the wrong depth.

Smitty

slamminwalleyes

« Reply #12 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:29 PM »
Buy the vex fl8 slt   :tipup:  sure they all work good!!
Mine was bought when they 1st come out an i just replaced the battery for the 1st time.
You want to take MORE fish home spend the money you wont be sorry an if ya don't like it there easy to sell an get your money back.
Maybe a better question would be how many have had to send them in for repair's an what kind they had repaired.

My 2 cents worth

DRR324

« Reply #13 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:30 PM »
I'd take a look at the Lowrance x67c ice machine as well- not to highjack the thread- but the options on the 67 are worth looking into.  Summer use easier to see breaks, humps, etc in sonar mode, and the unit is silent in operation.  A big plus in my book- not having to listen the flasher.  But- to each his own- you will be WAY more successful with a unit than with out!  Get off your wallet and buy one- your wife will just end up spending the money anyway...

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #14 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:35 PM »
I just bought one 2-weeks ago (the VX-1) ... and i caught more fish 1st time out using it than i ever have. Good enough reason for me  ;D I will never go with out it again. I did get to see my friends Vex in action prior to making the purchase so i had a little knowledge ahead of time. They're great !!!

Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline icejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:38 PM »
I sell this stuff for a living..........yes you get what you pay for but what i'm saying is the upper models to me don't justify the added cost. I dare anyone to try and out fish me and my fl8 I got a 20 that says they don't...............and after i prove it i'll have their 20 too.....

Offline icejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:40 PM »
I've fished several times within 3 ft of other flashers no problem......vex has interferance regection on them to

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:45 PM »
Slay, to be completely honest, If I went Ice-fishing, drove an hour to get there, got out of the truck, and realized I forgot my flasher, I would get back in my truck, drive home and get it, and go back out.   It is just that critical in how much enjoyment I get out of ice fishing.  I will NEVER go back to staring down a dark hole and WONDERING if there is anything down there. 

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:47 PM »
Slay, to be completely honest, If I went Ice-fishing, drove an hour to get there, got out of the truck, and realized I forgot my flasher, I would get back in my truck, drive home and get it, and go back out.   It is just that critical in how much enjoyment I get out of ice fishing.  I will NEVER go back to staring down a dark hole and WONDERING if there is anything down there. 

You beat me to it. This is exactly what i was going to say. Heck, if drove on an ice fishing vacation 4 or 5 hours away and realized i forgot my flasher, i would head to the nearest sporting goods store and get another one before i went to the lake.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

slamminwalleyes

« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:48 PM »
icejigger is right vex interference rejection on it.

My buddy has a zercom an my vex hacks his flasher bad. so he has to move off if he wants a normal look.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2008, 02:49 PM »
 First day out, off the side of the boat, only a couple hours. Says it all!

The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Slay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:04 PM »
So you can use a flasher unit in a boat also???

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2008, 03:59 PM »
So you can use a flasher unit in a boat also???

The fl-18 that I have has a bottom lock feature for the zoom mode that holds the bottom in place on the screen, even if the boat is a rockin.  It works great on a rowboat.

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:00 PM »
I've been thinking about this for a few years and I just can't seem to chunk down the money for one.  I know that if I do, it will probably be the Marcum LX5 because I have learned that you usually get what you pay for in life.  Having said that, I just do not know if it is a worthwhile investment for me.  I don't get to fish the ice much because quite frankly it usually doesn't ice up until January these days in Northwestern Pennsylvania.  Also, all the lakes I fish are shallow, no deeper than say 20 feet with the average being 5-10 feet.  I love to crappie fish and there are walley in these lakes and I really want to catch them in numbers.

Is a good flasher unit really gonna give me a noticeable edge in fishing these areas?
Is it worth the money to buy one under these shallow water conditions?

Thanks in advance for your inputs.

i have fished with a flasher for about 4 years now.  it helps me see fish that i wouldn't see without one.  it will also help you fish non biters really quick and make you move to productive waters.  i used to sit and sit and sit and sit and sit, well you get my drift, when i used to ice fish way back.  now i have a flasher i will move more, catch more fish and not get as cold!!  so go out and get one, you'll be glad that you did.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline thewalleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:10 PM »
  He's right - buy less expensive model first.  Upgrade as needed. Don't worry about what all the lights mean - TRUST ME, they are SIMPLE to understand.  You'll have it figgered out (for the most part) in the first half-hour on the ice. 

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2008, 04:58 PM »
Took my girlfriend fishin with me last weekend.  It was her second time on the ice.  First time this season.

Sitting in the shelter, 2 holes, 2 feet apart.  FL18 in hers, nothing in mine.  After a few minutes she figured the out what all of the "pretty lights" meant.  She out fished me the rest of the day.  After a while, I just put my pole down, grabbed a beer and kept waxies on her jig.  It was a good day.

JUST BUY IT!

Q

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2008, 05:03 PM »
Took my girlfriend fishin with me last weekend.  It was her second time on the ice.  First time this season.

Sitting in the shelter, 2 holes, 2 feet apart.  FL18 in hers, nothing in mine.  After a few minutes she figured the out what all of the "pretty lights" meant.  She out fished me the rest of the day.  After a while, I just put my pole down, grabbed a beer and kept waxies on her jig.  It was a good day.

JUST BUY IT!

Q

Now if you want to have a blast Jim, Drill a 3rd hole in the middle and put the ducer in there. You can both see your jigs and then try to  figure out which one the fish is going to hit ;D

Offline Dinga LING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • <
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:56 PM »
I just got my Marcum vx1.  Seems to do all the stuff the more expensive outfits do just a little less power.  That should be of no concerne in less than 80 ft of water.  Don't know about deeper.

Once you can see your jig move up and down, its not hard to figure out the rest.  This one has an interference control so that is no problem.

Mine cost around $229.00 and I have seen Factory reconditioned units for under $200.

I have only used mine once and out fished my buddy 2 to 1.  I think it's a keeper.

Give a man a fish,  he eats for a day.
Teach a man to fish,  he sits all day on the ice drinking beer.

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:10 PM »
i'm no expert on flashers but i think that with how shallow your lake is i would buy both a flasher and an aqua-vu or fish tv both are good, fish tv is cheaper but same quality, and you can watch what depth and what kind of fish they are :)
we await your decision
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline Brooks

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2008, 07:36 PM »
I never thought
i would buy one but my youngest son was watching another fisherman use his vexilar-he thought it was pretty cool.On the way home I asked him what would you rather have-game boys and x-box or a fish finder?His answer-fish finder-good boy-right answer. He now has a marcum vx-1 it works great.With rebate it cost right at  200.00. Sunday we will find out if he can outfish his old man. He is 9 years old

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.