Author Topic: submersible lighting under the ice  (Read 2648 times)

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
submersible lighting under the ice
« on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:56 AM »
I use lights all summer when fishing for eyes and this past season was INCREDIBLE with over 160 keepers boated and released in a 3 week period.  My question is, does it make sense to drag the lights and the battery all the way out during the winter?  The forage in the lake is alewives, and i'm sure that at least some winter over.  Even if they don't I found during the summer that even if the forage didn't come into the light, the walleye did.  Anyone ever try this?

E

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: submersible lighting under the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2008, 11:33 AM »
i wish i could find my video from this summer, its understandable why they arnt legal in some areas.  We had LITERALLY tens of thousands of bait tornadoing under the boat picking off the little plankton in the light and a stray eye or two would come up from the depths to grab an alewive.  Really cool to see

E

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:13 PM »
well the battery is charged and the sled is packed, Im really interested to see how the light looks under the ice in the shanty. leaving at 2am to hit some eyes.  The lake being fished is one I have not figured out through the ice yet.  Open water, no problem, gonna try some new tactics tonight and see what happens, will copy the report on here if anything happens.

E

Offline pizalm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Git-R-Done
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2008, 12:05 PM »
Try and get that video up. I'd love to see it in action but I don't remember if it's legal or not at home in manitoba. Definitely something I'd try this summer if it is legal.
pour me another one, I'm finished with the other one

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:36 PM »
are you using evening secret or what type of lighting do you have?

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2008, 07:56 AM »
I have a couple different lights, cabelas sells them, two are green "flourescent" lights and one is regular white light.  The white seems to work better just under the boat, and the other two run deeper so the whole water colomn is covered.

E

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008, 02:52 PM »
E, I was wondering the same thing, would like to give it a shot on gardner some time.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2008, 07:56 AM »
well i used the lights this weekend at sunup and sundown.  No fish except a dink crappie to show for it, but that was to be expected.  The bite was def OFF for the 14 hours we fished.  It was freekin depressing.  Oh well 200 holes and three fish to show for it, ill be back out there again  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: 
Josh im not sure theyd work all that well there.  I tried last summer and theres just no real baitfish to cause the commotion that the eyes are looking for.

E

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2008, 09:19 PM »
Maybe somewhere like squantz or beach where there are a lot of alewife...

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2008, 06:09 PM »
what about trying the lights in a spearing hole I just read your thread and thought well if there is no bait fish in the winter to cause a comotiion having a light on my decoy might bring in some walleye and definintly some pike maybe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.