Author Topic: killing fish  (Read 6096 times)

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: killing fish
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2008, 05:12 PM »
I'm not saying that I'm better than you.  I'm saying that a person who keeps a legal limit of fish regardless whether trophy sized or not, and does it over and over isn't an ethical person...legal, yes, ethical no!   I keep a fish or two every now and then to eat, I like fish.  But, most of my fish are released to fight again...and I never keep a trophy, ever!  I carry a camera, take a picture of it and release it.  I consider any person who practices catch and release a better person than someone who does not.  They've evolved beyond the "killing" mode and actually care enough about their quarry to take care of the resource.  Enough on this topic.

??? Are you kidding me!!?????    What a hypacritical joke of a statement. I guess the membership should decide for themselves which sides of your statement you are on and mean.

I keep most of my fish, but doubt you are any better than me or anyone else on this site contrary to your stated thinking. I see why you say enough, after stating you are a better person than ANYONE who keeps their fish because YOU HAVE EVOLVED beyond the killing mode????

Maybe those that keep their fish to feed their families are evolved beyond you because they have the stomach for it, or cannot afford to toss their prey back that they invested money and time in to get. I just have to say that your statements I totally disagree with, and anytime someone calls themselves more evolved or better than others, that I see Egotistical ^%#$^%#$ written all over it.

You just proved you are lesser of a sportsman than most on here by what you said.

Please community, do not take offense to what he said. He must not know better!! ::) ::)

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:10 AM »

??? Are you kidding me!!?????    What a hypacritical joke of a statement. I guess the membership should decide for themselves which sides of your statement you are on and mean.

I keep most of my fish, but doubt you are any better than me or anyone else on this site contrary to your stated thinking. I see why you say enough, after stating you are a better person than ANYONE who keeps their fish because YOU HAVE EVOLVED beyond the killing mode????

Maybe those that keep their fish to feed their families are evolved beyond you because they have the stomach for it, or cannot afford to toss their prey back that they invested money and time in to get. I just have to say that your statements I totally disagree with, and anytime someone calls themselves more evolved or better than others, that I see Egotistical ^%#$^%#$ written all over it.

You just proved you are lesser of a sportsman than most on here by what you said.

Please community, do not take offense to what he said. He must not know better!! ::) ::)

As I said in my original post, I don't want to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.  I don't expect you to understand...until you grow out of the "killing mode" (and I doubt you ever will) you will continue to defend your position. I can only hope for you and the sport we all love that someday you will mature to the point that you don't have to try to prove yourself to everyone else by killing all the fish you catch. 

Now go ahead and get your last word in, make it good.  I'm not going to respond to this anymore so you have a free shot.  Enjoy.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Offline greenbush

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:43 AM »
has anyone checked to see what the mortality rate is of fish caught and released in the winter? I know of studies done in the summer and the if the fish come from the deep than the rate is very high. I can't imagine that in the winter if you catch a big one, hold it out of the water try to find your camera,take pictures, measure it look at it once more and than put it back all in below freezing temps that the fish would survive. We all have perch that come from 20ft and their sacs are popping out of their mouths, they won't even go back down even if you pop it. So is it wrong to keep the trophy if you know it's been out of the water and half frozen or to make your self feel better put it back so it may die under the ice? I don.t keep alot of fish, I use barbless hooks and try to knock them off in the hole.

Offline WPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2008, 01:02 PM »
Fish mortality drops whenever lakes have a good supply of oxygen and rises when that oxygen becomes depleted.  So, early in the hard water season fish release very nicely into the cold, oxygenated water but my March the fish may not release as well (the cold water still makes for a better release than warm water).  I've found fish will release very easily if the water is cold, but in August, it can be very difficult to revive a tired fish.  Not that you shouldn't try.  If you take that fish today, it won't be there for you to catch tomorrow.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 15, 2008, 01:45 PM »
As I said in my original post, I don't want to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man.  I don't expect you to understand...until you grow out of the "killing mode" (and I doubt you ever will) you will continue to defend your position. I can only hope for you and the sport we all love that someday you will mature to the point that you don't have to try to prove yourself to everyone else by killing all the fish you catch. 
Now go ahead and get your last word in, make it good.  I'm not going to respond to this anymore so you have a free shot.  Enjoy.
How about I let you get the last insult about other sportsmen in!

Offline oleike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 16, 2008, 07:18 PM »
wowis all i can say.......buddy  go to Tobin Lk....spend some time there and watch how many hard water anglers keep large pike......then...do the math

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.