The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Has anyone ever tried hatching there own fish???  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I thought you were bringing the bait"
Has anyone ever tried hatching there own fish???
« on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:26 AM »
I wan to try and spawn some walleyes this year during the maumee river run in ohio, i seen a guy doing it last year, he gave me some tips but i dont remember the specific details, but i do remember him saying that he has a 55 gal. drum with a pump to keep water moving for a week, then they hatch and you have 200,000 walleye fry. i would like to do this a plant them in my unlces 10 acre pond. any info would be very sweet. The reason i want to figure this out is it is illegal to transport live fish. with the in tentions of restocking other waters, and also it would take a crapload of eyes to stock a pond of that size.
"DUDE Where'd my rod GO!!"

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline wartfroggy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Has anyone ever tried hatching there own fish???
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:47 AM »
it is illegal to plant your own with without a permit.  Raising your own I am not sure on, but likely is at least frowned upon if not illegal. 

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:52 AM »
I do not give a dam who frowns upon it, it is 100% legal i have researched that, and it is legal to stock private ponds without permit. you obviusly cant go puting them into lakes and rivers but for personal ponds there is nothing illegal about it, and naturally .5% of eggs hatch naturally, so taking two females and two males and spawning them your self, sure as heck aint going to dent the population in erie which is where the fish come from in the maumee. but good lookin out bro.

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline Mounter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2008, 05:59 PM »
I know in Wisconsin you need to get all sorts of permits to have any type of live gamefish in captivity, wheather you raised it yourself or caught it. The paperwork is endless. Then they have the right to stop over and search your property anytime they want. Possession of gamefish is not illegal, but not worth the time and effort unless you are going to be running a business. I wanted to keep a couple of bass in my aquarium until I checked into the legal way of doing it.

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:16 PM »
Oh my gosh i really dont care if it is illegal, im not shooting lil kids here or blowing up buildings, im trying to hatch fish, i dont care, im just looking for info on how to do it, thanks for looking out but, the reason i posted this is to learn how to do it not if its legal.

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline diehard08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:25 PM »
you tell um.... he is just trying to up fish populations in a privite pond.... like he said he isnt poisioning any public lakes or rivers.... sorry i dont have any idea on how to do it

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:30 PM »
i remember him saying you had to line buckets with clay for some reason i dont know, then you had to keep water at certain temp????? and keep eggs tumbling for????amount of time, then you have schloads of eyes in a barrel ready to dump, any info would be great on HOW TO DO IT. thanks fellas

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:41 PM »
http://www.walleyehunter.com/articles/crawford20.html
Here`s one article I found by doing a google search.I knew water temps had to be around 50 deg.F but this article explains more on the variables and whatever is involved.I would think if You followed what the natural breeding grounds and habits are doing it would be a success.
Good Luck :)
http://marc.poirier.com/2005/02/walleye-spawning-behavior.htm
And here`s another one.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline theozmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:43 PM »
im no expert by any shot of imagination, but i would guess that the clay would act as a natural filter of organic wastes of some sort whether it be fish crap or food. ive seen it done with sturgeon where they take almost kiddy pools with large pumps/filters made with pvc pipes. i remember them sayin that the water HAS to be from a natural cold-water source i.e. lake and needs to be filtered through constantly. it may also be real difficult because fry depend on plankton for food, so you would also need to get ur water from a plankton-rich source. i know u said u dont care about the legality, but just to clarify, in michigan, as long as the fish are of legal size, you can keep them in captivity only during their open season, so once the season ends, you have to release them. hope this helps

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2008, 06:58 PM »
theo thanks bro thats what im lookin for, but im not keeping these things for a day after they hatch there going straight in the pond...he said it takes 1 week to hatch..

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:01 PM »
Oh my gosh i really dont care if it is illegal, im not shooting lil kids here or blowing up buildings, im trying to hatch fish, i dont care, im just looking for info on how to do it, thanks for looking out but, the reason i posted this is to learn how to do it not if its legal.

and this is one of the ways you can spread VHS, Zebra Mussels and all sorts of other invasive species from one body of water (Lake Erie which is loaded with all sorts of invasives) to another body of water and don't think its not in the water or fish  you are getting out of the river
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:04 PM »
http://www.walleyehunter.com/articles/crawford20.html
Here`s one article I found by doing a google search.I knew water temps had to be around 50 deg.F but this article explains more on the variables and whatever is involved.I would think if You followed what the natural breeding grounds and habits are doing it would be a success.
Good Luck :)
http://marc.poirier.com/2005/02/walleye-spawning-behavior.htm
And here`s another one.
thanks a million man good lookin out...

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline 10FrozenToes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:25 PM »
Have fun fertilizing them. Then i,m sure temp has effects on hatching. You should do it at your uncles the travel could be rough on them.Just a few ideas.

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2008, 07:32 PM »
Have fun fertilizing them. Then i,m sure temp has effects on hatching. You should do it at your uncles the travel could be rough on them.Just a few ideas.
yeah but i have to do it in a heated garage keep temps at 58 degrees or what ever and then when they are hatched they only have a 2 mile ride. and they will be minnows at that point.

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2008, 09:16 PM »
and this is one of the ways you can spread VHS, Zebra Mussels and all sorts of other invasive species from one body of water (Lake Erie which is loaded with all sorts of invasives) to another body of water and don't think its not in the water or fish  you are getting out of the river

What do you think the eyes have zebra mussles atached to em or hidden in there eggs..come on dude, there is no way in hell i would get zebra mussels in a pond from spawning walleyes out then hatching fry in a barrel, how the heck could i get mussels? i couldnt, vhs possible but not probable, worth the risk 200,000 eyes in a ten acre pond ill take my chances!!!!

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline pikefishmen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:07 PM »
Howie you are barking 4 laws in Michigan. That is a felony

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 08, 2008, 06:47 AM »
Maybe you could get a hold of your areas fisherys biologist and run your idea past him for the correct way to do it or call a hatchery and get some ideas that can put you in the right direction.....

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:23 AM »
yea there are laws about game fish.  Plus I think it does not cost that much to buy em'

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:16 AM »
yea there are laws about game fish.  Plus I think it does not cost that much to buy em'

Send me som money then there only 1$ a piecex about 100,000 thats sounds a little pricey,,,

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:22 AM »
NEVER MIND DONT NEED ANY INFO, SORRY FOR BEING SUCH A TERRIBLE PERSON FOR TRYING TO RAISE WALLEYES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IM SURE ALL YOU LAW OBIDING CITZENS HAVE NEVER DRANK N DROVE HOME FROM FISHING,or cheated on your taxes that is way worse than what im trying to do, and the reason its illegal, is becasue most people would be dumping them in lakes!!!!! im trying to stock a pond just like everybody else has done in there life if they own a pond!!!!! some of you guys in here shuold be online dnrs LOL, its rediiculous how many people have told me its illegal, even thought i seen a guy doing it in front of 500 dnr officers at the maumee river, thank you all who actually gave me some ideas or tips, as for the others i need no more replys from you!!!!!thanks Mickey

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:25 AM »
Howie you are barking 4 laws in Michigan. That is a felony

so call the law if your that woried!!!

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:44 AM »
sorry im getting so crispy over this im just sick of listening to its illegal, dont do it you will go straight to hell, the death sentance an so on....  i dont think its wrong, the dnrs do it and they make the laws, so if you think its wrong to do it then keep your posts to your self Please!!!!
Im just looking for procedures not lectures!!!!!!so if you dont know have anything positive than do not reply!  awhhhh man we really need some ice ;D were all getting a lil grouchy >:(

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline southend517

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saginaw Bay MI
« Reply #22 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:25 AM »
Send me som money then there only 1$ a piecex about 100,000 thats sounds a little pricey,,,

so it is a dollar per egg?  or $1 for a fish?  cause not all 100,000 eggs are going to hatch. There is a place in bay city that charges by the bucket in the spring and I heard it was a pretty good price.
http://www.mainstreetseedandsupply.com/pondfish.htm  I was just trying to help - like the others - if it is wrong I'm sure www.iceshanty.com doesn't want to help you break the law.  I don't know what the exact laws are but there are some - they don't want to spread bad things - the snake fish in DC. - Cheating in tournys - and so on. 

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:31 AM »
The DNR do it in with Scientific water analysis etc, they dont just transplant fish. I would contact them for info....

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #24 on: Jan 08, 2008, 10:39 AM »
sorry im getting so crispy over this im just sick of listening to its illegal, dont do it you will go straight to hell, the death sentance an so on....  i dont think its wrong, the dnrs do it and they make the laws, so if you think its wrong to do it then keep your posts to your self Please!!!!
Im just looking for procedures not lectures!!!!!!so if you dont know have anything positive than do not reply!  awhhhh man we really need some ice ;D were all getting a lil grouchy >:(

Hey since your getting so CRISPY here just forget about all that crap about raising small fries and just go out and stock the pond with all those specs you catch(the ones you would have eaten any ways ). Then go and a catch some walleye(the ones you would have eaten any way) and put about two doezen in the pond and if the pond has the rite stuff to grow them it should take off and if it doesn't than your other plane wouldn't work either. O yeah and don't bite my head off if you don't like that idea I'm just trying to help......GOOD LUCK WHAT EVER YOU DO.........

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:29 PM »
hey howie i say hatch the fry, some of these guys are going to far(probably the same guys who want the law changed to 16 lines a guy)
AND THEY ALSO KEEP 100 GILLS A DAY  just keep loving the sport and pave the way for real sportsmen who are up for a challenge  anyone can buy and raise goldfish from meijer GOOD LUCK WITH THE FRY sorry i dont have any info on the process except STOP HATING

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #26 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:31 PM »
Oh my GOD, I can not believe that you are so Stupid. You should feel ashamed of your self. Everyone on here is trying to do nothing but safe your BUTT from the DNR. You have no right to get ignorant with anyone on here.[/tt]

Why would you even want to break the law to do this?  It is people as stupid as you that cause problems for the rest of us.  I truly hate people that can not respect the laws made to protect or lakes and rivers.   I am not saying that I have never broke a law in my life but I respect he laws set by the DNR to protect the things that I LOVE doing.  Most of the time I think that the DNR is to easy on Buttheads like your self.

My friend is licenced through the dept of Ag. and he says that you can't do it the way you think you can. Personally I think that you are a moron. quit try to do things against the law and go buy some fish from a fishery or fish farm. get your self a male and female and let nature do its job. :-[

Dang Howie you might want to lay down cause the newbie just ripped you a new one

Offline diehard08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:35 PM »
hey howie i say hatch the fry, some of these guys are going to far(probably the same guys who want the law changed to 16 lines a guy)
AND THEY ALSO KEEP 100 GILLS A DAY  just keep loving the sport and pave the way for real sportsmen who are up for a challenge  anyone can buy and raise goldfish from meijer GOOD LUCK WITH THE FRY sorry i dont have any info on the process except STOP HATING

i agree man like you said its your lake not a public one....

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:41 PM »
Oh my GOD, I can not believe that you are so Stupid. You should feel ashamed of your self. Everyone on here is trying to do nothing but safe your BUTT from the DNR. You have no right to get ignorant with anyone on here.[/tt]

Why would you even want to break the law to do this?  It is people as stupid as you that cause problems for the rest of us.  I truly hate people that can not respect the laws made to protect or lakes and rivers.   I am not saying that I have never broke a law in my life but I respect he laws set by the DNR to protect the things that I LOVE doing.  Most of the time I think that the DNR is to easy on Buttheads like your self.

My friend is licenced through the dept of Ag. and he says that you can't do it the way you think you can. Personally I think that you are a moron. quit try to do things against the law and go buy some fish from a fishery or fish farm. get your self a male and female and let nature do its job. :-[

ha you crack me up, im stupid that why i have this down to it bot being illegal at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you are assuming its not legal!!!!!! there is nothing illegal about it try and prove me wrong and read all of my posts explaining how i plan to do it, not transporting any live fish at all!!!! so now miss im so dam smart, tell me which law am i breaking.... yeah thats what i thought!!!

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 08, 2008, 08:48 PM »
Hey since your getting so CRISPY here just forget about all that crap about raising small fries and just go out and stock the pond with all those specs you catch(the ones you would have eaten any ways ). Then go and a catch some walleye(the ones you would have eaten any way) and put about two doezen in the pond and if the pond has the rite stuff to grow them it should take off and if it doesn't than your other plane wouldn't work either. O yeah and don't bite my head off if you don't like that idea I'm just trying to help......GOOD LUCK WHAT EVER YOU DO.........

now you are talking illegal! its illegal to trans  plant live fish from one body of water to another, which is NOT what im planing on doing. i want to have fertilized eggs 1 day from hatching and dump them in a PRIVATE pond in michigan, that is LEGAL. transplanting live fish is not... but thanks for the idea, like i said im not jumping all over evry one in here just the ignorant people who assume not listen or in this case read... thanks again for ideas

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.