Author Topic: Lowrance X67C Ice Machine  (Read 15400 times)

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Lowrance X67C Ice Machine
« Reply #30 on: Sep 30, 2013, 08:24 PM »
I bought an x67 to replace an early FL-8 some years ago. These units also doubled as bow mount locators on my open water rig.

Almost immediately I realized I should have gone the whole hog and gotten the M68c, same thing as the x67 except with internal GPS. Now when I bump over some interesting structure when fishing open water, I can punch a waypoint and walk or drive directly to it on the hard water.

Both units have been flawless and I've found that the M68c is less likely to "freak out" in ultra shallow water than my more expensive HDS-5............

Good info here, thanks for the education!

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Purple Floyd

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl.
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2013, 10:41 PM »
I got the approval from the higher power(my wife) to upgrade my x67c to the elite 5 Ice machine so if anyone is interested I am going to be selling mine. It is in perfect condition other than I took the transducer arm off and replaced it with a Vex float which I like a lot better.

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 25, 2013, 09:17 AM »
I bought an x67 to replace an early FL-8 some years ago. These units also doubled as bow mount locators on my open water rig.

Almost immediately I realized I should have gone the whole hog and gotten the M68c, same thing as the x67 except with internal GPS. Now when I bump over some interesting structure when fishing open water, I can punch a waypoint and walk or drive directly to it on the hard water.

Both units have been flawless and I've found that the M68c is less likely to "freak out" in ultra shallow water than my more expensive HDS-5............

Good info here, thanks for the education!

/m
Did you try playing around with the settings to see if it would get better with a certain setting like shallow water mode? My elite 5 has different settings to choose from and I have no problem in 4ft of water.

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2013, 01:25 AM »
I'm buying the cabelas brand 8 amp replacement battery, but I read somewhere that a 9 amp holds a much longer charge. Is this true? Also, with my first battery, I just charged it and then unplugged it and let it sit until i went out. Then I let it sit for a long time until summer. The battery only lasted a few trips over 3 years, (maybe 5 trips total). Do you leave this type of battery on the charger at all times, up until you use it, or did I just not use it enough over the life of the battery?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2013, 05:05 AM »
according to Lowrance the battery should be stored between 20-50 percent charge. ALWAYS charge before use!!! i had called them to ask a few questions and that is what i was told by them.....
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #35 on: Dec 09, 2013, 05:52 AM »
according to Lowrance the battery should be stored between 20-50 percent charge. ALWAYS charge before use!!! i had called them to ask a few questions and that is what i was told by them.....

They must want you buying new batteries every year. They should be stored and maintained at 100% Think about it why would they sell battery tenders for motorcycles if it was ok to store them at 50%  ::)
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2013, 11:34 PM »
I bought the charger that came with the battery, but a member here recommended the smart charger battery tender junior. I was wondering, could I use the battery charger I use for my trolling motor battery?
"If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is, Infinite." --- William Blake

"There are things known and things unknown...in between are THE DOORS." --- Jim Morrison

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #37 on: Dec 10, 2013, 05:59 AM »
I bought the charger that came with the battery, but a member here recommended the smart charger battery tender junior. I was wondering, could I use the battery charger I use for my trolling motor battery?

I don't see why not 12volts is 12 volts the smart charger battery tender is made to be left on and charge as needed. I have hook ups on both motorcycles and both atvs to use my battery tender on I just move it around to each machine a week at a time. My 05 harley battery lasted me 8 years because I kept up on it my neighbor has been through 3 batteries on his bike in the past 5 years not using a tender.
Thomas Harris

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #38 on: Dec 10, 2013, 01:14 PM »
Haven't seen this little know fact mentioned here:  ALWAYS, before any charging, bring the battery to "Room Temperature" ( just call it at least 68f).

I'm sure you's already knew that.    ;D

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #39 on: Dec 15, 2013, 10:39 PM »
thanks for all the help guys. i used the flasher so little the year after i got it, we only got about a 3 days of good ice here in central illinois that year, that i think i left it uncharged and then when i did charge it was frozen in the garage. But i was a newbie then, 14 years ago, and hard to believe,  but i haven't got to use it since, due to work, life and no ice in this damn southern ice belt! Used a new battery this week and god do i love the x67c!

quick question--I use the x67 in the sonar mode--which jig, in it's smallest size, give the best return on your flasher/sonar?

Offline boss j

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my spoons are my passion
« Reply #40 on: Dec 16, 2013, 05:31 AM »
which jig all depends on sensativity. i can use from a 1/100th oz jig to a 100 lb   lol   you get the point. gotta play!!!!
boss spoons, they can catch it all!!!

Offline MTangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy fishy fishy.
« Reply #41 on: Dec 17, 2013, 06:27 PM »
I just adjust the sensitivity according to my jig size. Turn it up/down untill it barely shows up.

MTA

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #42 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:47 PM »
Just watched a video where a guy had his x67c set in the 2x zoom to fish the bottom 5-6(?) ft of water in 10 fow in the chart mode. He had his surface clarity set on high, but he noticed a fish under the ice so he brought his jig up, but then he decreased his surface clarity level to low so he could see his jig and the fish better. By decreasing his surface clarity level, he INCREASED the sensitivity near the surface, correct? The manual says when you increase the surface clarity level it decreases the sensitivity near the surface and increases it the lower you go in the water column. I wanted to know what setting should I start out with in shallow water and adjust from there. Plus, when you guys go from hole to hole after you've drilled, how do you spot fish to see if you want to fish that hole? I can kinda pick out the ones that are holding in the middle of the water column, but have a hard time seeing them on bottom, should I go to 2x or 4x, rather than trying to view the whole water column?

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #43 on: Jan 02, 2014, 09:42 AM »
I can kinda pick out the ones that are holding in the middle of the water column, but have a hard time seeing them on bottom, should I go to 2x or 4x, rather than trying to view the whole water column?

I always use the split screen zoom set to 4x if I'm hunting perch or walleye. Play with your color settings.
When you first drop the ducer in you have to watch a few seconds if the bottom is changing colors its a fish if you have a flat solid color on the entire bottom no fish.
Pay attention to the read out depth apposed to the scale on the edge of the screen.
If you are reading 9' but the color of the bottom on the screen is up to the 8' mark on the scale its a bunch of fish this is easier to do with the zoom at 4x. Try the split screen you will learn to like it.
Thomas Harris

Offline Iceman Cometh

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Walker
« Reply #44 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:04 PM »
thanks for the info. I'll mess around with it on the ice. I've only been out twice this year and only got to use it maybe 5 times since I got it 10 years(?) ago.  I see what the surface clarity does too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.