Author Topic: Must Have Equipment-This Could Save Your Life!  (Read 1553 times)

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
Must Have Equipment-This Could Save Your Life!
« on: Jan 01, 2008, 11:45 AM »
Without a doubt the most important piece of equipment I own for ice fishing is my hypothermia suit! We put too much emphasis on our electronics,shelters,poles,lures,bait,etc... I would like to mention our safety! Get yourself a hypothermia suit or floater suit-these suits float should you fall through the ice. Not to mention they are super warm and convenient. Just zip on and off. Wear just jeans and a sweatshirt. Don't need to wear multiple layers of clothes that help you sink like a rock when they fill with water. Everyone I know "swears" by these suits. Trust me, if the sound of ice cracking scares you(as it should) then you will feel a little better knowing you have one of these baby's on.

They Work! I fell through the ice on an Erie trip last year and crawled out of the lake "smiling"(actually my heart was in my throat) as others fishing were looking on in horror. This could have been a tragedy but instead it ended up being a successful day fishing as I continued to fish and limit out.

It sickens me to read about those who have drowned falling through the ice. It happens every year on this site. Think about you ,your family,and friends. No ice is "safe ice".

I mention these suits to make others aware that there is such equipment available. I never knew about them until a fishing buddy wore his. I said I had to get one of those suits! It may have saved my life. Maybe this post could save yours!
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Must Have Equipment-This Could Save Your Life!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2008, 04:05 PM »
 Great advice, bladebait!  Questions, though?   What kind?   Where to buy it?   Price?

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2008, 06:57 PM »
What he said.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2008, 11:28 PM »
Great advice, bladebait!  Questions, though?   What kind?   Where to buy it?   Price?

I prefer either a Stearns(I-580 worksuit) or Mustang Survival(#2175) suit. The best place to buy is probably Ebay. Search under "survival suit" or "mustang survival" or "stearns suit". Generally these suits run anywhere from $200 - $500 in stores. HOWEVER they can be bought on Ebay anywhere from $50 - $300 and thats NEW! I just purchased one for my dad this fall off of Ebay for $50 including the shipping!That's fairly cheap considering what a Vexilar or a shelter go for. They run true to size so if you usually wear an XL than get the XL. You do not have to wear lots of clothing under them! I wear just a sweatshirt and jeans under my Stearns I-580 and have yet to get cold. I have gotten too hot at times which is usually not the case when on the ice. I'm confident that you will like it enough that you will tell your buddies to get one.
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2008, 09:19 AM »
Mustangs are available on this site  http://www.landfallnavigation.com/mustang.html at least you can check out what they have to offer even if you purchase one on ebay
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.