Author Topic: Trapping bait ??  (Read 1466 times)

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
Trapping bait ??
« on: Dec 30, 2007, 08:09 PM »
          Hey all!  I just got into Ice fishing last year and now am addicted. My question is with bait. I just got two traps for Christmas and would like to trap some bait to keep my fishing budget in check.. So my question is this, Is it to late in the season to start? If not how do I go about this as far as picking a spot, and the in and outs of trapping bait.  I live in ME, and have lots of ponds and lakes near home. Any advise , tips, etc would be awesome...... Thanks!

Offline troutperchbeeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trapping bait ??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2007, 07:15 AM »
I think if you could get the trap in a deep hole in a creek you might get lucky. I've never used one in the winter but must minnows find deep holes or deep sections of creeks to winter over. You can use dry dog food as bait or a piece of bread. You might get luck and get some crayfish as well. Good luck!

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Walk a stream and toss a small piece of rolled up bread (about the size of a pea) in the hole to see if you see any minnows eating it...watch it as far as you can see.  When you find a concentration of minnows, bait your trap with bread crumbs (just take a couple slices of white bread and rip them into little chunks) and a cut up regular yellow onion (diced like you would for cooking).  Lower the bait to the level that you saw the minnows and leave for 24 hours.  Bring your minnow bucket with you when you check the trap...if you've done it right, you're set to go fishing.

Good luck.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2008, 10:32 AM »
Walk a stream and toss a small piece of rolled up bread (about the size of a pea) in the hole to see if you see any minnows eating it...watch it as far as you can see.  When you find a concentration of minnows, bait your trap with bread crumbs (just take a couple slices of white bread and rip them into little chunks) and a cut up regular yellow onion (diced like you would for cooking).  Lower the bait to the level that you saw the minnows and leave for 24 hours.  Bring your minnow bucket with you when you check the trap...if you've done it right, you're set to go fishing.

Good luck.
first time i've heard of the onion trick. i'll have to try that.

Offline Fishin is the Mission

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2008, 09:28 AM »
first time i've heard of the onion trick. i'll have to try that.

I learned about the onion a couple of years ago.  I went from catching 2 to 5 per trap average to 10 to 20 per trap average.  The first time I used it I caught my biggest catch to date ..134.  They were so jammed in the trap that the were running into each other.  I don't know what it is about the onion, maybe oils or scent, but it has worked really well for me.  Let me know if you have the same success with it.  Good luck.
Thanks, Dad, for taking the time to show me how to fish!!

Chuck

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.