Author Topic: North Idaho Ice  (Read 546602 times)

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: North Idaho Ice
« Reply #1410 on: Dec 20, 2013, 10:41 PM »
Has anyone been by spirit lake? I'm going with a buddy and his dad tomorrow. His dad wants to go to kelso for the planters. Not my thing but shouldn't take to long. I'd like to take them for Kokanee after but how's the ice?

Offline Packernut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1411 on: Dec 21, 2013, 12:25 AM »
Fished upper Twin on Friday from 10:00 to 1:15.  Fishing was fast.  Caught 75 for the two of us.  Nothing over 7 inches.  Any reports anywhere for bigger perch?

Packernut

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1412 on: Dec 21, 2013, 02:52 AM »
Winchester 5" ice, trout were active early, stopped biting hard around 11 AM.  Perch were hook shy all day, stayed until 2:45 PM until the weather got too bad to get home, 60 minute drive turned into 3 hours.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1413 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Fished Round again on Fri.  Got a limit of trout but it was a lot slower bite then the last time I was there.  Saw a couple of guys out on Cocolalla on my way to Round, but no one was out there on my way back. 

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1414 on: Dec 21, 2013, 03:30 PM »
Just got back from kelso 4 groups of people out there. We got a few bites they where very soft. Only seen one caught in 4hrs. My friends dad said he's been out there three times this year and limited in an hour each time.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1415 on: Dec 21, 2013, 05:45 PM »
  Took some newbies to Spring Valley yesterday during the start of the storm...  Ice is great and the planter trout are skanky as ever.  But, if you just want to hammer fish, or work on technique, it can be rather fun.  I spent the time coaching and working on baitless presentations.

Jim

sihlms391

« Reply #1416 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:13 PM »
that is awesome you to teach new people ice fishing.  but sometimes it is tuff.  it just takes practice.  i am still not very good.

Offline uprivercasey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1417 on: Dec 21, 2013, 09:42 PM »
Fished Winchester today , 5 inches of ice, plenty of slime rockets , a few perch and a few bluegill

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1418 on: Dec 22, 2013, 03:27 AM »
Does anyone have a report on ice conditions at Hauser?  What are they biting on? Thanks :-)
~IceFire2012~

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1419 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:16 AM »
Thiking of taking my grandson to Cocolalla in the next few days.  Any current info on the perch fishing?

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1420 on: Dec 23, 2013, 03:00 PM »
Welcome Idahnt !

There was a post back a ways that stated, ice did not form over all of Cocolalla Lake at once, but over a bit of time. Therefore, it's not all the same thickness!  Use caution, follow others tracks, spud your way out and in, have safety measures at hand.  I'm sure you know all that and that you may need traction devices on yer footsies, ha.    If you see a crowd near the center, that's the place to be for the deep water, larger perch.  Good luck.    ;)2

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1421 on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Fished Fernan in the AM .. caught two dozen perch 8-10". Took me most of the morning.  Also caught a tagged channel cat.  Ice is still good, lots of water on top making for a sloshy walk.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1422 on: Dec 23, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Hey Mitch, hopin' that's a big money fish for you.  Nice just before santa comes.    ;)2

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1423 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:58 PM »
Didn't hear any reports back on spirit so I went out with a friend on Sunday. There where a few people fishing close to shore but we went out further for Kokanee. Drilled our way out 4.5" clear ice half way to the island out bronze bay. That was my young (18yr old) friends first time for Kokanee and he's hooked for life now. We had a blast!  First hole we tried to fish and 30 seconds after we started jigging the flasher went from nothing to filled up from ten to 45 feet. We caught 100+ between the two of us and missed three times that many in about three and a half hours. There where lots of small ones to weed through but we kept our limit of 8 inchers. We didn't move and had to turn the flasher off because it was a useless solid red everywhere! Most of the larger (8") where around 35' we think?

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1424 on: Dec 23, 2013, 11:08 PM »
Awesome elkhunter57, I think you just solidified what I'm doing when I get back from the holidays.

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1425 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:19 AM »
Thanks

Offline baetis_elk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1426 on: Dec 24, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Spent a couple of hours on Avondale this morning.  Got a late start and managed to forget the fish finder but still had some fun.  Managed to land two nice size perch (>10") and lots of little perch (<5").  I had fun listening to the play by play as a fella with his son caught a bunch of little perch just a little ways off.  Ice is in good shape, still pretty clear, and a solid 7" measured at numerous locations on the south side of the lake.

May God's peace be with you all,

Merry Christmas!

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1427 on: Dec 24, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Hey Elk Hunter,
As posted above I've got my grandson during the holiday break.  I would like to get him into some good ice fishing.  Spirit Lake sounds like fun. Would you be able to share any tips?  I've only been there once during the summer many years ago.

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1428 on: Dec 26, 2013, 02:33 AM »
Went to Lower Twin Lake this morning.  Ice was about 5-7 inches in various spots.  Sure don't like how it formed though.....
~IceFire2012~

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1429 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Icefire...  I'm guessing that was you I met on the ice yesterday morning?    I stayed a couple of hours, but it was pretty slow.   

Offline Husky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1430 on: Dec 26, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Any news regarding Ice on Kelso or Round Lakes so far? I am dying to get out somewhere and looks like Saturday will be my best shot.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1431 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Both Kelso and Round lake have good ice.  7 - 8"+.  Fished Round this morning and it was slow.  Ended up with 4 trout and 3 perch.  A dozen or more others out there on the ice doing about the same.

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1432 on: Dec 26, 2013, 03:55 PM »
Ok..... I'm siting on the ice at spirit right now. I wish I had some good tips but sometimes you just got to take the good with the bad ;). We are marking fish right now just can't get them to bite. The ice was covered in a layer of snow last time and now it isn't maybe when the sun begins to go down it'll be better. We where out much earlier las time as well. As for gear go as lite as you can usually (my niece just got a couple bites as I was playing on my phone so maybe it's coming) nothing seems to be working today tho

Offline idahnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1433 on: Dec 26, 2013, 07:17 PM »
Spent the morning on Cocolalla and caught about 30 perch. Bite was sporadic.  Most of them were keepers if you're hungry for perch.  Ice cleats are a must.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #1434 on: Dec 26, 2013, 08:52 PM »
  Haven't heard of or seen news of Bottle Bay, this year.

Got antsy and drove over, out, around and down there today.

Even went up Eastside road for a good look.

I forgot the Dramamine.

So, forget driving on Eastside Road. Kelly humps/speed bumps every 30 feet. 

But I did that for the great view of of the ice.

That cold snap we had a few weeks back, made a solid surface.

We had a fierce wind out of the north for several days and water/waves from Lake Pend O'reille, over topped the ice in Bottle Bay a few times, so, it  appears to be sorta scalloped and artsy, ha.    :roflmao:

No one was out on the Bay and no sign anyone has been out.  There was a lot of water on the ice, which is gray.  Looks OK to me, I'll follow you, ha.    ;)2

Offline Dmanboo2002

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1435 on: Dec 26, 2013, 10:43 PM »
Was on bottle bay during that quick freeze in early December ....ice was 4 to 3.5 ... Was able to walk out to middle... No perch...cpl decent whit fish....warming temps .. Broke ice up... Waiting till good freeze again

Offline icefire2012

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1436 on: Dec 27, 2013, 12:32 AM »
BlueDuck....that was my buddy Jim, that you met.  He told me he thought that was you out there:-)
~IceFire2012~

Offline Husky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1437 on: Dec 27, 2013, 02:51 PM »
Elkhunter57,

How did Spirit Lake turn out for the Blue backs yesterday? Did they start hitting?

Offline stjoemitch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1438 on: Dec 27, 2013, 03:39 PM »
Fished Rose Lake today and had a decent perch catch.  About eight inches, but none bigger. Moved around quite a bit but didn't have much luck in  my  normal spots.

Offline elkhunter57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1439 on: Dec 27, 2013, 06:47 PM »
They didn't start biting before we left but that's how it goes sometimes. I'm going to try again this weekend if I can. I love those tasty little guys. And to all those who pm me thanks for the advice and tips and don't get discouraged when you go out for blueback they are finicky sometimes skunked this time epic last time might have to work for it next time. Just the way it goes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.