The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: GR area ice  (Read 1393 times)

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
GR area ice
« on: Dec 22, 2007, 07:42 PM »
I know the weather is looking terrible for ice fishing but I still would like to get out Monday, I know I'm probably dreaming :D I'm going to take tommorow off, mostly because I don't trust the weather and its effect on the ice. If anyone does brave the conditions I'd love to hear a report about some ice surviving the night. good luck and stay safe.

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a method to my madness!
Re: GR area ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2007, 08:12 PM »
 I was out on three and a half inches today w/ an inch of water on top, people were looking at us like we were crazy. The ice was very solid though, felt completely safe and and caught many fish in ridiculous proportions. Many people will be a wee bit leery of going out tomorrow due to the looks of the ice. Once cold weather moves in, as it is projected to, people should be back out in no time.
  May your slabs be big and your ice be safe.
Have a safe and  merry Christmas!
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.
 "As fish go through the water colume, so do the days of our lives".

Offline thedude

• IceShanty Rookie
  • where's the sun?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:07 PM »
if anything this will help the ice... get rid of all that snow and hopefully that water on top just freezes right up.... i'll be giving it another shot after xmas.

Offline Rumrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Awwwww, go for it.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2007, 09:23 PM »
Yeah...I got out last week but Ill wait another before goin out. 

M.I.R.C. 

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2007, 06:29 AM »
If the temps drop off, and we dont get this snow storm they are calling for overnight, then the lakes should freeze back up good, and with no snow on top. most i have seen have about 2" of water on top of them, but its 2 inches more of ice when it freezes back up compared to the 6" of snow that was on there.

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:37 PM »
I have to agree, most the snow either will be blown off, or hit the water on top the ice and freeze faster. Very strong winds today will blow snow off lakes.
"Oh honey don't worry ice fishing season is almost over"     Oh Yeah, then we got steelhead, then bass, then big lake salmon, then fall river salmon........etc.

Offline Elk5012

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hey PIKE ME!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:43 PM »
How far are you guys from Mecosta?  I may head that way for fishing after Christmas. Keep me posted on ice conditions.

Offline sightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2007, 12:53 PM »
How far are you guys from Mecosta?  I may head that way for fishing after Christmas. Keep me posted on ice conditions.
    Hey Elk,   GR stands for Grand Rapids, there are many lakes north, northeast of the greater Grand Rapids that have (had) plenty of safe ice. Im sure if you look at your MI map you will be able to locate GR.

Offline Elk5012

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hey PIKE ME!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2007, 01:02 PM »
I was just wondering how many miles you guys are there, Mecosta is closer to Big Rapids. GR can't be too far from there. You guys are the closest I've read to there, so wondering hows the ice. It's a 2 hour cruise for me to Mecosta area.

Offline wetline005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish on days that end in "Y"...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2007, 02:14 PM »
I would go. Plan a few lakes close, and check them out. You will find 1 with good ice. Even Monday. Just be carefull and drill alot of ice check holes. Have fun.

Offline jbots

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 24, 2007, 07:35 AM »
Mecosta is about 1 hr North of GR.  It always seems to be a little colder up there.  I do a lot of fishing up in that area.  Ice should be fine. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.