The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: chumming with corn for rainbow trout?  (Read 7058 times)

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I thought you were bringing the bait"
chumming with corn for rainbow trout?
« on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:27 AM »
has anyone ever tried using corn as a chum then using corn on a hook, i dont know how every body else feels about using corn, but i think of it like riding a "mo-ped" its cool until your friends catch you..LOL but iwas just wondering if it worked for anybody i have had some people tell me it works great, just feel kinda dumb doing it...lol
"DUDE Where'd my rod GO!!"

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline thecanoeman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: chumming with corn for rainbow trout?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:33 AM »
I haven't done it in a while, but when I used to fish Fence lake in the U.P. we would fish at night with lanterns and corn we would slam them everytime using this tactic, some nights we would catch 50 to 80 fish a night.
(of course we wouldn't keep them all).

Offline theozmeister

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:25 AM »
i have a place on shupac lake in lovells, DNR designated trout lake. used to chum for trout at night with a crappie light, but over the past two years, i have noticed i actually do better on nights i dont chum. if you do chum, the most commom mistake is over-chumming. throw out too much and they will eat the falling stuff and wont touch your stationary one. hope this helps

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007, 09:34 AM »
I know in ny if your caught with corn anywhere near a trout water your gonna pay big fines. Something to do with the fish not being able to digest it. It may even kill them. I'm sure someone with a lil more knowledge will post these facts shortly. I was told by a couple buddies it does work well but I won't try it. Any help would be nice.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline Howie Ketchdem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I thought you were bringing the bait"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:07 AM »
I have heard that aswell, but i havr a friend who is a marine biologist and he said that is a wifes tale, they have actually studied it, and it did not hurt fish, the reason it was banned was the fisheries started stinking and smelling like brewerys from all the firmented corn from people chumming in shallow water, thats why it has been banned in alot of places, which is funny cause i have ran in to stinky old worm containers more than stinky corn....but thanks for the warning its legal in michigan....thanks MIckey
"DUDE Where'd my rod GO!!"

FLAAAAAAGGGGGG!!!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:10 AM »
Thanks for the info
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline russell5340

• IceShanty Rookie
  • oh...oh..oh your getting a bite.....ha just kiddin
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2007, 12:56 PM »
I have used the tactic on Deep Lake in Lenawee for the trout during the summer but never in the winter.  I would be interested in seeing if it works though.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.