Author Topic: Rainbow fishing blooper  (Read 917 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Rainbow fishing blooper
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:33 PM »
A few years ago, I was fishing for trout at a lake called Vega Lake in colorado. they are simple to catch at this lake, and I usually catch about one hundred. Well, I had just caught a small 10 incher, i released him. I put my line back in the hole so I could go get another meal worm to tip my jig with. My line was about 8 inches below the ice. When I got back, my rod was about going in the water, and I lifted up and it was about a 14 inch trout that bit it, 8 inches below the ice.  :D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
Re:Rainbow fishing blooper
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:17 AM »
Were these trout stocked in this lake?

Due to the large majority of trout in PA being stocked, I have on occasion targeted them through the ice.  I have noticed on this trips, that stocked trout (maybe all trout, I don't know) tend to cruise in the 1-3' range below the surface of the ice.  I use a fish finder when I ice fish, and the number of fish that passed through this layer of the lake(s) was astounding.  I look down the hole, watch for 20 minutes, and see anywhere from 3 to 4 fish cruise by in that time frame.  I've never seen anything like it with any other fish species I've ice fished for.

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

Offline powderburns

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2003, 07:38 PM »
It is common for rainbow to cruise just below the ice.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2004, 09:25 PM »
the trout in this lake are mostly wild, a few are stocked
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.