Author Topic: My Last laker trip, funny story  (Read 694 times)

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
My Last laker trip, funny story
« on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:20 PM »
On my last trip, I went to a lake in colorado called Taylor Park Reservoir in search of lake trout. I had caught about 10 lakers, no big ones, and then I decided to pack up the shack and the sled and get all of my unnecessary junk back to the truck in the slow period of the day. Before I did this, I put a fresh piece of meat on the jig, and let it down to about 1 foot off of the bottom. All of the lakers I had caught that day had been while jigging a lot, and I hadn't gotten any on tip ups or anything like that. About a half hour later, when I got back, I noticed that my rod was sitting about 4 feet away from where I had put it down. I scooped the whole, and picked it up. There was a ton of added weight. I set the hook, and boom!!! A long fight with a huge laker occured. I finally landed the beast, and he was 18 pounds. The rest of the people that had been fishing around in that area hadn't gotten anything in the time that I was gone, now that is a fishing method ;D
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Luckydog

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
Re:My Last laker trip, funny story
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2003, 08:15 AM »
Around here we call that the "Not Pay Attention" method.  You can work your tail off constantly jigging and switching baits for hours at a time but it always seems that the biggest fish hits when you're doing something else...like getting a sandwich or an adult beverage or lighting up that cigar.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
Re:My Last laker trip, funny story
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2003, 08:22 AM »
It seems it always figures nothing is hiting so you walk away and come back and either the rod is gone or has a fish hitting it like crazy!

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.