Author Topic: The blue gills are taking over Japan  (Read 4411 times)

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The blue gills are taking over Japan
« Reply #30 on: Nov 28, 2007, 03:32 PM »
Boy, the asian population here in the twin cities sure doesn't mind gills, crappies, etc.  It seems every day one gets busted w/ 300 gills over his limit.  It's almost funny when word gets out about a good gill bite from shore, some call it china town.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Nov 28, 2007, 03:45 PM »
Tell me about it the owners of the local Chinese rest. are all found fishing at the causeways for all the pan fish. They will fish all day every day and fill 5 gallon buckets. If you catch something they will ask you for it before you let it go. They should call home and tell their people how good they really taste. Or they can stock pike in the waters that are affected.(((((FLAG))))) :tipup:
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:43 PM »
Interesting pandemic in the  Land of the  Rising Sun... kinda interesting social perspective on pests and prizes, on both sides of the Pacific. You know what they say, one man's trash is another's treasure. I would disregard all the positive qualities of Common Carp, they're an interesting species, and terrific fighters. And although I haven't eaten any, I am aware that carp are considered fine fare in many nations.
We all complain about ponds with dense population of small bluegills, so I don't think it should be that surprising that they are expressing the same concerns. Moreover, being a nonnative species, I would never expect bluegills to be readily accepted in Japan.

Interesting little blurb, thanks for the read.

-Wes

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #33 on: Nov 28, 2007, 08:52 PM »
My advice to the people of Japan is to eat more Blue Gills.  >:D :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2007, 09:12 PM »
Boy, the asian population here in the twin cities sure doesn't mind gills, crappies, etc.

Be careful with that one. I know the Japanese feel superior to all others and do not like to be mixed with other races of asians.

If the honorable bluegill hasn't been involved with their diet since, well lets just say a long time, it probably will never be accepted.

So, I will give them advice to spend millions of yen to send lots of us fisher persons to Japan to catch some bluegills!!!

I know we will not catch them all, but it would be a fun trip.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2007, 06:00 AM »
i brought a carp home one time that i shot with my bow. It was about a 5 or 6 lb fish and begged my grandma to cook it up for me, and she did. Even filleted properly with the "mudd vein" removed i thought it tasted like sh**
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2007, 08:03 AM »
They just need a recipe using the fins and entrails.

Then consumption of the blue gill will take off.

Or find a way to use the "poisinous" parts of the bluegill. Make it "extreme" cuisine and no bluegill on the planet will be safe from importation to Osaka after they decimate there non-native population.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:12 PM »
Even better, you could convince them bluegill have aprodisiac qualities. After all the fish has a high fecundity. The Asians go gogo eyed over anything like that to the tune of millions of dollars for parts of endangered species. The bluegills would be gone in no time.  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Do bluegill have gull bladders? Could be a hot item :laugh: :roflmao:
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Nov 29, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Do bluegill have gull bladders? Could be a hot item :laugh: :roflmao:

Sure do! Get the rumor started! On second though don't get it started. They'd be after our bluegills after they wiped out their own.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #40 on: Nov 29, 2007, 10:19 PM »
Why you give me dis brue-gill? Taste rike warr-eye? Ptoooooey! Take it away and bring me some shrimp heads and seaweed with a squirt of squid ink.  Finga-ricking good!
dam u just about made me spit my drink all over the keyboard :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap: :bow: :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline kirkwooders

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Websters definition of a northern red neck.
« Reply #41 on: Nov 30, 2007, 08:11 AM »
Is anyone else wondering if the Japanese have a thread going over there some where saying the exact opposite of what we are?   ;D
"There's a fine line between fishing and just sitting there looking stupid!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.