Author Topic: Another ice shanty project  (Read 11982 times)

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Another ice shanty project
« Reply #30 on: Nov 16, 2007, 03:57 PM »
haha mr niceguy

my dog is a Bavarian Mountain Hound direct from Poland. it's a she and her name is Nella. it's a bit smaller than your dog ill try to post some pictures soon.  it's my first dog and i really love it. You just become so attached to those little critters!

as for the ridge pole, i was considering it before but now i will probably add one. The windows with velcro is another great idea. Thanks for the input and does anyone have any ideas for a sled to haul this thing with?
  i find that one with a motor works nicely.... ;) ;D

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Nov 16, 2007, 04:22 PM »
u got me good holehawg ;D

here are some pics of my dog. She's grown a bit since then.  she's about 1 and a half years old now.

here's one with my friend from last winter.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Nov 16, 2007, 04:28 PM »
while looking for pictures of my dog, i also found a couple of winter scenes that we can all look at while waiting for the upcoming winter. i can't wait.

this is my family's cabin up in the gorgeous UP.

shovelin some snow on a beautiful winter day

some wild snow drifts

Enjoy

Offline brookiebomber477

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • if i ain't icefishin'...i ain't happy!
« Reply #33 on: Nov 19, 2007, 05:22 PM »
man thats really nice! Beautiful Dog, Beautiful Shack, and Beautiful Cabin!

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Nov 19, 2007, 06:06 PM »
wow wedkarz...thats some set up ya got there...good looking dog...does she chase some birds for ya ???always heard ya had good grouse hunting up that way  ??? ??? ???  cabin is sweet...looks like someone built it like a tank..real nice  :) :) :)

Offline mr niceguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Nov 19, 2007, 08:50 PM »
Hey wedkarz, yup your dog is alot smaller than my two, their also a year and a half old right now, but one is 148lbs the other 151lbs. (Just got back from the vet.) Same body but different head. Just started training them to help pull my sled out on the ice... they love to pull it but so far getting them to follow me is proving difficult.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Nov 19, 2007, 10:03 PM »
wow wedkarz...thats some set up ya got there...good looking dog...does she chase some birds for ya ???always heard ya had good grouse hunting up that way  ??? ??? ???  cabin is sweet...looks like someone built it like a tank..real nice  :) :) :)

she's mostly a tracking dog, she follows the blood trail after a deer gets shot, but yeah, there are tons of grouse up in our neck of the woods.

Goin up to my cabin tomorrow and will be coming back sunday.  ill be sure to report on the ice conditions in the UP once im back. talk to all of you later!

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 19, 2007, 11:08 PM »
Beautiful shack wedkarz. I am a little curious how it breaks down. It looks to be an accordian design but it looks as though the floor breaks down into two pieces. How about a photo? The skis on the back are a good idea if that is the case. I built one of similar design but not quite so nice. I mounted the skis on the back with 2x8's and cut holes in them to lighten the design. I ran three 8" bolts through the 2x8's, counter sunk them and attached with fender washers to the inside. I also used construction adhesive to get a good bond between shack and runners. Then I attached the skis to runners with deck screws along length. It is pretty handy, it fits in the back of my short bed truck and I am able to store equipment under the shack

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline srobocop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Nov 24, 2007, 10:16 PM »
Yea....for every kid like him out there...there are 50 that have nothing better to do but smoke dope, play games on their Xbox and fail high school. I would gladly let some young kid use my power tools and help them out if their intentions were what his are. KUDOS to that young man!!!!!!....WK

i'll bet $10 he has a xbox 360 or ps3. haha
-Sro
"I ain't from Michigan, I'm from the U.P."

Offline BigGunMN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SKOL VIKES!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 27, 2007, 05:33 PM »
here's something i'm pretty proud of, i designed this folding little table on the back side of the shanty

VERY Nice project! 8) You should be proud of yourselves. :thumbsup: Good Idea with the folding shelf.

What are you doing for lighting?

Offline FATFINDER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #40 on: Dec 18, 2007, 01:03 PM »
Is there any way you can post a picture of it folded up.  just wondering how easily it transports.
The next time you go in the outdoors remember to clean up your trash!

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 18, 2007, 11:53 PM »
Nice job...It doesn't appear to be that heavy. That is a plus.
Good looking Pooch too :afro:

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:58 PM »
Hey! i haven't been around for a while, been busy with hw and college apps. i got accepted into university of illinois and michigan tech so far. ;D
i was in the UP doin some ice fishing this weekend and got the shanty out for the first time, ill post some pics a little later. It was AWESOME, especially considering that it got down to about zero and i was nice and cozy with my Mr. Buddy heater.

FATFINDER-
i don't think i have a pic of it folded up but i can check. if i don't ill be sure to eventually post one as the shanty is up in the UP and im down near chicago now. but it folds up to be about 1 foot thick.

i should probably make some sort of snow sled but i ended up towing it behind the atv on a modified john deere trailer. Works with about a foot of snow, not so sure if it would work if there was any more.

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:43 PM »
just out of curiosity, i saw something very similar on ebay, and i considered building something like what you built.  This also applies to the other poster that had one looking similar.

What is the method used to attach the tarp to the sides? and what size of tarp are you using? Could you get a close up of what the connection looks like? that is the main thing holding me from building one like that, and I would sure like to save some money and have something customized for me.

Thanks in advance.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:14 PM »
What is the method used to attach the tarp to the sides? and what size of tarp are you using? Could you get a close up of what the connection looks like? that is the main thing holding me from building one like that, and I would sure like to save some money and have something customized for me.

Thanks in advance.

i believe the size of my tarp was 10' by 16' and i ended up trimming it a bit. i think that i got it here http://www.tarpaflex.com/acatalog/A-green_heavy_duty.htm

let me try to explain what i did.  i cut the tarp so that it would drape about three inches over the front and back pieces. I marked a line three inches from the end of the tarp so i knew how much to have it overhang, and i could simply line that line up along the edge of the side i was working on.  i then ran a bead of epoxy along outer part of the sides right along the edge.  i put the three inches of overhanging tarp onto the glue side and stapled it down nicely.  Once i did both sides i took strips of wood about three inches wide which i had previously cut from plywood and drilled them into place to cover the overhanging tarp as well as give the whole shanty some reinforcement.  These strips can bee seen around the edges of the front and back pieces in the pictures.  if you need any help, just ask.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 20, 2007, 08:04 PM »
finally got a hold of my camera. here are some pics of my shanty first time on the ice,

here is the modified john deere trailer i was talking about

heres a buddy of mine

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 20, 2007, 08:11 PM »
the new shanty also seems to have brought us some luck.

and here's big momma.  we caught her about five minutes before we were supposed to leave the ice.  the shanty was already packed up and ready to go when we saw the flag. my biggest pike so far.

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #47 on: Dec 20, 2007, 08:25 PM »
great job on yore shanty and some nice fish to good luck and be safe :tipup:
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2007, 08:59 AM »
How big is the big  momma?  Nice shanty too.

Offline wedkarz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2007, 06:05 PM »
How big is the big  momma?  Nice shanty too.

she was right around 34"

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2007, 06:13 PM »
I hope you have a nice long ice season remember a solar powered radio lasts a long time with batterys and when the sun is out.

Live to fish forced to work

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.