Author Topic: Freshwater Shrimp  (Read 1531 times)

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
Freshwater Shrimp
« on: Oct 17, 2007, 07:19 AM »
Does anyone else use freshwater shrimp as bait - they were illegal here until the last month of ice - man did it make a HUGE difference. First part of the year only produced random bites from perch - bluegill wouldn't touch our setups and the bass wouldn't leave them alone (not really what we wanted - fun but not good eating around here).

Stopped by the gas station one day and the guy asked me if i wanted any freshwater shrimp - said he just got them in so i figured what the hell. It was the best damn day of fishing we had all winter - nonstop perch/bluegill action. Just wondering if any other states have them for bait.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Freshwater Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17, 2007, 07:31 AM »
i tried them last year for the first time. I would buy some again.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline cohoking59

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2007, 08:18 AM »
hey,we dont get them here in s.w. mi.,but i,ve heard that they are realy good fer bait.i,m going to see if i can locate a supplierin this area.tite lines....cohoking59

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2007, 08:20 AM »
i think knutson's has them in s.e. michigan. that is where i got them
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2007, 10:14 AM »
this sounds interesting, but i have a few questions-
what do these critters look like?
how big are they?
live or dead?
what did they cost?
i once tried little cut strips of raw frozen shrimp from the grocery store. i didn't catch anything on them, but it was a slow day and i didn't give them much of a chance. anybody else ever use them?
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2007, 10:39 AM »
They look like a mini shrimp about 3/4-1" long. I don't remember what i paid for them. Maybe $2.00 dozen. . Probably about the same as a dozen wigglers and they come alive in a little plastic container half full of water just like you would get wigglers in.

Offline nd.walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Is there such a thing as a bad day of fishing?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2007, 10:49 AM »
ours were fairly small (1/2 inch) - live like TKO said - probably paid $1.50 for a TBSP worth (plenty for all day) - they are called grass shrimp in most cases - a image search on google will hook ya up with some pictures. It was hard to get the hang of hooking them at first but I found out they're pretty resilient - just right through the middle and the shell keeps them on for 2 or 3 fish if your using a vex/camera and not letting them gut it.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2007, 12:37 PM »
Many of the lakes and sloughs around here are full of them. After you drill your hole they will come up into it but they are really small. I have never seen them in a bait shop and wish they would sell them. Does any one on here know how to trap them through the ice?
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline crappie_attitude

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta' have more cowbell
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:15 PM »
Could this be an alternative?   ;D

ww w.sea-monkeys.com/

The site says they will grow to 3/4" in a month....might be worth trying.  :P

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2007, 01:21 PM »
i e-mailed their customer support to see if they could handle a few minutes of 34-36 degree water temp. If they will live long enough to catch a couple gills i might buy a kit.

Offline USMC130FE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 2008 NAIFC Contestant
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2007, 02:34 PM »
I bought mine from Vado'sbait . com.  Did get some dead ones in the package but with fresh water and a shot of O2, no problems!  Will I buy them again?  In a second.......
http://www.bluecrayfish.com/icefishpics/albums/userpics/2-18-08_001c.jpg

Sure the Marines are a Department of the Navy, We're the MENS DEPERTMENT!!!!

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2007, 10:27 AM »
i went to vados site. i'll probably try these shrimp.
i checked on mousies--sold out!
what gives? couldn't find them last year, either.
know where to get some?
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2007, 11:01 AM »
i went to vados site. i'll probably try these shrimp.
i checked on mousies--sold out!
what gives? couldn't find them last year, either.
know where to get some?

They'll probably have them available later this year, like December. Give them a call and they should be able to tell you when they'll be available.
Ken                                          

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2007, 11:34 AM »
Fresh Water Shrimp
Commonly found in waters throughout the U.S. (when not already eaten). These shrimp swim with a "recoil, flip, flop" action that attracts perch, panfish and trout.

Seasonal Item: December-March

http://www.vadosbait.coml
Hard Ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.